LegacyGT.com

Carpet

dga

I had the oil changed at the dealer on Saturday and the service advisor says that carpet is a wear item and it not typically covered under warranty, but he took a picture of it and sent it to Subaru to see if they'd cover it.

They also said that they can only replace the windshield wipers once, although I swore I read on the brochure that they care covered free of charge as long as the car is under warranty. They did replace both remote batteries as they were nearly dead.

• 6 months later...
Just like to bump this real quick. I too have started getting carpet wear under the mats, you can see the white under-matting. My question is, would I have any trouble with the claim because I installed a stereo system and ran some wires to the back. The wires are no where near the affected areas.

^^ Every dealer is different but I would show it to them and see what they say. If they come back saying something about the stereo (rare case), just show them the wires were nowhere near the affected area.

I'd imagine since this happened to a few folks SOA has to be aware of it by now :rolleyes:

I'm sure they're "aware" of it, but your service center needs to push for it to be covered for you. On a side note, it really seems to me like they must have just had a really shoddy run of carpet at one point, as the replacement carpet in mine is vastly improved, you can feel the difference just by touch, and while the floor mats appear to be exactly the same and are wearing again, the carpet is good and solid.

It should be covered. I doubt they would say anything about the radio and wires if they are not in the same area or coming in contact with where it is wearing.
[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

So the carpet is a warranty item, but floormats are not? My dealer told me that the "heavy duty" floormats are supposed to develop holes within the first 6 months of use....

Are these decisions made by the local dealership or by SOA? Might contacting another Subaru dealer help?

I think I would ask him where he got that piece of brilliant information. I'm pretty sure they aren't ever supposed to develop holes, but it may be acceptable within a certain timeframe. 6 months doesn't sound acceptable to me, in fact, I believe Subaru Genuine Parts carry a 1 year warranty.

So the carpet is a warranty item, but floormats are not? My dealer told me that the "heavy duty" floormats are supposed to develop holes within the first 6 months of use....

Are these decisions made by the local dealership or by SOA? Might contacting another Subaru dealer help?

Here is Subaru's warranty policy on accessories.

• Accessories installed prior to retail delivery are covered by the Basic New Car Limited Warranty.
  • Accessories installed after retail delivery are covered for the balance of the Basic New Car Limited Warranty or 1 year from the date of installation, whichever is longer.
  • Accessories installed after the Basic New Car Limited Warranty coverage has expired are covered for 1 year from the date of installation.

My all weather floor mats and my original ones are over a year old and have no holes.

[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

Thanks, Fang. I'll give my dealer one more shot.

Imrac -- All Weather - that's what I meant, the rugged black rubber ones. That's what has a hole in it.

SI - exactly. I realize the mats will wear out, but I shouldn't have to buy two sets every year.

How and where did it get a hole? I have never seen any come in yet with a hole. I have seen one rip though.

I have a 4EAT, it's the spot where my right heel rests under the gas/brake pedals. You know how the ridges in the mat are...maybe..1/2" deep? There is a spot where the mat is worn smooth and this caused a hole.

I'll try to get some pics later, but it may be tonight before I can post them.

That looks like a defect to me. I don't see why they don;t replace them unless you are beyond 3/36k or beyond the 12 months parts warranty.

• 4 weeks later...
My wife informed me of a bare spot in the carpet in her Legacy and it's in the same spot you others have described. So, the car goes back to the dealer to replace the carpet, to make a second attempt at silencing a dash rattle, replacing the dead battery in one of the remotes, possibly replacing the driver's seat material due to wear on the bolster, and silencing the now squeeky brakes. The brake rotors were resurfaced due to warpage and the dash was silenced for about a month on the last warranty run to the dealer. I'm glad this stuff is all being replaced under warranty, but geez, this is getting rediculous!

Sure thing. Glad they took care of you.

• 2 weeks later...

I took my car in for service today and asked them again about the carpet. The service advisor back in March took a photo of it and sent it to Subtaru but I never heard back from them. I asked about it today and with a different service advisor, he said that wear and tear items are covered by the warranty (I just hit 26000 miles today so I'd like to get this taken care of soon), but that this isn't considered wear and tear; he called it "abuse" because it's caused by the driver and not by the car itself. I am seriously thinking of taking my car to a different dealer next time because this is ridiculous. It's starting to sound to me that they don't want to cover anything.

I had the tires rotatated today too and a mile from the dealership my tire pressure light came on. I stopped at a gas station and checked my tires and they were 5 pounds low. You'd think they'd check that in their routine inspection. They typically contact me asking for feedback on the service so I'll be sure to bring this up.

Archived