LegacyGT.com

Roof Rack Suggestions

PineyLGT805

• 2 weeks later...

Yakima and Thule are the two major roof rack makers. Check out either one.

You can't really go wrong with either. Some people say Thule is the best; others say Yakima. It's pretty much personal preference. I have a Thule rack; no problems, it is what it is. My brother had a Yakima rack back in the day and he liked it.

I'd say check out both company websites, then go check out some displays at some sports stores - REI, ski or bike shops, etc.

any roof rack on the leggy is going to have to pull onto the lip. it is rubber coated and has always came back to shape with the rack off. dont exceed the torque requirements of the rack and you wont damage the rubber. had mine on for two years worth of intermitten use. no issues with the rubber door trim at the top. has to be tight enough for the glass to clear though. always have the window cracked for the first closing then roll up when closed and open to check for proper fit. tighten if it rubs.

• 3 weeks later...
I have an 09 Legacy 2.5i Limited...i tried looking on Yakima's website but there is no roof rack system that they offer (i tried doing the "Fit my Car" menu). As much as possible i'd like the Yakima and not Thule. Any suggestions as far as the whole crossbar and mounts?

I bought a Thule for my 07 and it worked fine. Just make sure you follow the intallation instructions accurately and don't drop any parts on your rook. It will dent easily. I had a Rocket Box on my rack for about 2 weeks. When I took the rack off, there was no damage to the rain rails.

Thanks for the info but i was looking for options for the Yakima brand. If all else fails i might have to start looking into Thule. I've tried the mont blanc site but they're in the UK, which i'm really trying to stay clear from....

I'm pretty sure that if you get a Yakima rack for an '05,'06,'07, or '08 model, will fit your car - they just haven't updated the website for the 2009 model. Above the window line, the legacy is still pretty much the same from 2005 and up.

I had a Thule from my previous car - when I looked on their website and looked for a fitment kit, I then decided to check out the other model years and there was no difference between a 2005 fitment and a 2009 (which I have).

Just put up my Yakima rack last month on my '08 and so far so good. It's sturdy and looks nice with the round bars (so you can fold down your ski attachments when not in use). I've been pulling and yanking that rack, but it doesn't seem to budge. Just remember the wind noise outside will increase.

I have the Yakima lo-pro mounts and they have been fine. I overtightened one a while ago and put a small dent in the rail but that is my fault. I have room for two bikes and a tandem.

It's also easy to take on and off if you don't want it on all the time.

I have an 05 legacy wagon.

I bought the Subaru 4 board roof rack.. .and NO WAY is there clearance to put a board upside down with the bindings. Am I doing something wrong?

Please help, otherwise I just wasted a bunch o' cash. :-(

Thanks in advance.

Racks usually come with a height extender.

For example:

My yakima ski rack came with two pieces of plastic that is installed into one side of each rack. Each about 3 inches, lift the ski rack so it is tilted on one side. This allows snowboards with bigger bindings to fit back2back in the rack.

Here's a pic

http://www.rackoutfitters.com/car-racks/pc/catalog/Yakima_8003062_lg.jpg

Archived