LegacyGT.com

Looking for aftermarket E-brake handle

Tsquared80

I've been doing some searches and investigation on the forums and through the intarweb, but I can't seem to find a good answer. I just got an 06 Spec B and the guy before me installed a MOMO E-brake handle. The base is chipped and I'm looking for a place to either get a stock one or to get another nifty aftermarket one. Can someone point me to a site I could search? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

IIRC, the MOMO was a very pricey accessory. I haven't seen it offered for some time now, nor have I noticed other aftermarket e-brake handles being offered.

Got pics of the damaged area?

Many Shuvs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Slor that day, I can tell you!

IIRC, the MOMO was a very pricey accessory. I haven't seen it offered for some time now, nor have I noticed other aftermarket e-brake handles being offered.

Got pics of the damaged area?

Not at the moment, but there's a little flange on the bottom where it mates to the handle and a piece has chipped off.

+1..... please post-up a photo.

I installed a Pit-Stop handle on mine, with a custom RedLineGoods boot -->

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u259/TSi_WRX/i-RedLineGoodsMOMO.jpg

^ That was from a while ago...my current countermeasures setup is no longer as-so. :redface:

But this install required extensive butchering of the factory handle's leather grip underneath, as I was too lazy to do it right, which would've involved getting a replacement handle, as the leather is literally "bonded" to the metal frame of the e-/p-/hand-brake handle.

Yes, I like fake wood. :p This was my first "wood trim" vehicle - I used to drive "fast and furious, yo!" DSMs, so the wood, even fake, appealed to me as a more "mature" outlook. ;)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

^ :(

I'm not sure I've ever seen that particular handle before....it looks like a Pit Lane variant, but I've not seen one without the inserts - this one looks all metal, no?

Without knowing what model, I can't say if the previous owner also had to modify the underlying factory handle, in order to make that handle cover, like mine, fit.... I'd urge you to look for the set-screws, and use a hex/Allen-wrench to back those out, and take the MOMO off, to see what you're up against.

Regardless, in the picture, it seems that there's a gap between the part that cracked, and the actual "base" of the unit, correct? Is that the factory SpecB boot, or did he have that custom fitted, like mine, too (note how, on mine, the boot's flush with the base of the chrome trim ring)? - and that you've simply pulled the boot down, to better illustrate the damage?

If the boot doesn't stretch over the actual base, to rest between that and the portion that's damaged, I'd imagine that it's a factory boot, stretched-to-fit. I'd be tempted to order a custom RedLine boot, to cover the broken part, and just call it a day.

Otherwise, if you're thinking about replacing the handle, look to various aftermarket auto-parts e-retailers, such as LTB Motorsports, for replacement aftermarket handles. If the previous owner has already modified the factory handle underneath to allow for the aftermarket to fit, you might just be looking at a straight drop-in replacement.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

This looks just like a Pit Lane, but no color. There are places for inserts, but they're just recessed spots, like there "should" be an insert there. If I think of it tomorrow, I'll undo the set screws to see what's in store for me. Hopefully I can re-use the boot and just get another handle. Thanks for your input, though.

Unless the previous owner replaced them with something else, yes, it's a hex set-screw, as with all other MOMO add-ons. Like this:

http://www.pyramydair.com/blog/images/04-28-08-co2.jpg

^ Taken from an airgun hobbyist site. :)

I don't recall, off-hand, what size, but it's small.

+1..... please post-up a photo.

I installed a Pit-Stop handle on mine, with a custom RedLineGoods boot -->

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u259/TSi_WRX/i-RedLineGoodsMOMO.jpg

^ That was from a while ago...my current countermeasures setup is no longer as-so. :redface:

But this install required extensive butchering of the factory handle's leather grip underneath, as I was too lazy to do it right, which would've involved getting a replacement handle, as the leather is literally "bonded" to the metal frame of the e-/p-/hand-brake handle.

Yes, I like fake wood. :p This was my first "wood trim" vehicle - I used to drive "fast and furious, yo!" DSMs, so the wood, even fake, appealed to me as a more "mature" outlook. ;)

Looks nice :)

^ Thankyee.

I know that fake wood is not to everyone's taste, but heck, coming from a DSM-Riceboy background like mine, I thought it was nice to finally be booted out of all the carbon-fiber and aluminum. :)

Update: No wonder I had a hard time with the set screws, there weren't any. The MOMO handle was pressed onto the E-brake handle. I can remove if I just pull a bit. Whoever had it before me did the mod half-assed and now I have to get at least a new handle, maybe another boot if I want to fix it. Does anyone know of any decent shops in the Hartford, CT area that I could go to for some guidance on doing this the right way?

Update: No wonder I had a hard time with the set screws, there weren't any. The MOMO handle was pressed onto the E-brake handle. I can remove if I just pull a bit. Whoever had it before me did the mod half-assed and now

Oh man....glad that thing didn't slip off, when you pulled the handle for a maneuver! :eek:

Archived