LegacyGT.com

'07 LGT and '08 OB Key fobs stop working.. simultaneously?

Both the key fobs for my '07 LGT are non-responsive, and my fiancee's new '08 OB is also not responding to her key fob.

My LGT was locked and unlocked not 10 minutes before I got home successfully with the fob, and unlocked in the very spot it sits right now this morning... and yet, it doesn't work?

Her OB was locked/unlocked several times today in the very spot that IT currently sits, but it's also not working?

What causes interference with these key fobs? Does anyone know? This is my second Subaru living where I live now, and I've never seen this before in my life.

Thoughts? :iam:

It's a real stretch of the imagination, but as Sooberoo said some sort of electromagnetic pulse could mess with them. This could be as simple as some sort of in-house interference, exposure to a really strong magnet....Neodynium or Samarium-Cobalt, for instance.

Getting pretty wet (they are water resistant) and other stuff is more likely....but the timing is suspect.

Yeah, they're both dry as a bone, mine was in hanging from the key itself the whole ride home, it was then in my pocket for like 30 seconds.. And then.. nothing. Very odd.

I thought I parked my good ship Nebuchadnezzar near Zion for the night, but I suppose some jerk tampering with it could have set off an EMP. ;)

I'll let them hang for a bit, and give it another shot before I head to bed tonight. the S.O. is off work tomorrow, so she said she'd call our local Subie dealer if we couldn't get them working again. I may also head out for a quick drive to see if they work when they're not in front of the house.

We had an EMP (small one) in my city here (Brighton, England) not so long ago, turned off all the computers n cell phones, n all sortsa crap, best bit of all was when it all got re-booted, my hard drive lost everything and all the info in my palm pilot had gone awol too! My Mini's keys where fine though, and the Volvo's

Well, just tried again, and now both cars work. I won't say 'problem solved' but uhh... case closed? *shrug* All's well that ends well.

We had an EMP (small one) in my city here (Brighton, England) not so long ago, turned off all the computers n cell phones, n all sortsa crap, best bit of all was when it all got re-booted, my hard drive lost everything and all the info in my palm pilot had gone awol too! My Mini's keys where fine though, and the Volvo's

Weird, what caused that?

My wife had an 08 outback and I would mess with her by pressing the button on my remote the same time she pressed it on hers. That would not allow the car to unlock because the computer couldn't detect the 'correct' signal from a distance.

I have washed my remote a couple of times and it still works. I doubt that's the problem.

When I go to larger cities, there is enough electrical interference in the air that sometimes my remote doesn't work unless I'm holding it right above the dash on the outside of the windshield.

my Garage door opener does this from time to time...

i have to walk all the way to the garage, detached from house like 40 feet, and put the stupid opener ON the garage door... and then if i'm lucky it opens.

my "human door" is pretty much blocked with crap :)

after it opens... it works normally.

my Homelink in the car... works from blocks away lol. and has never failed to work.

I really need to put one of those hard wired garage door opener things that use a Key outside. hard to find them around here though.

Seems to be interference from some other source. The keys are likely to share frequency with some other devices like wlan or some mobile or cordless phones.

Yeah, that was my thought too, but neither of our phones are new, and we've got wireless networking, but that's not new either.. I haven't checked for new wireless in our area though.

Didn't do it tonight when I got home either, so... yeah. Some sort of strange quirk I guess.

I agree with this. A friend of mine has an LGT and if we are both walking towards our cars trying to unlock the doors at the same time neither will unlock. One of us has to stop trying so the other can open their doors :lol:

This is only temporary so I dont know that its related to your problem but, it does confirm what some are saying here that they can interfere.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

Archived