LegacyGT.com

2 sets whhel locks overkill?

c-lo

So I understand that the rims on our cars have become popular for thiefs. Just bought a pair of wheel locks to put on. Would a second set be overkill? I know they are not as strong as lug nuts, but I also know if they are determined to get your rims they will.

opinions?

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

nope, I run 2 sets, and my wheels have deep in-set (countersink holes) bolt patterns that even a gator-grip can't fit in to undo my lug nuts. If someone wants my wheels soo much, they'll have to break the bolts along with it or dismantle the entire drive-axles to get them.

Keefe

Keefe

nope, I run 2 sets, and my wheels have deep in-set (countersink holes) bolt patterns that even a gator-grip can't fit in to undo my lug nuts.

xenonk, thanks for the reply. That's a good point. I'll have to check the ones I just bought to make sure they don't stick out.

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

So I understand that the rims on our cars have become popular for thiefs. Just bought a pair of wheel locks to put on. Would a second set be overkill? I know they are not as strong as lug nuts, but I also know if they are determined to get your rims they will.

opinions?

You mean the standard wheels that come with the GT? Why would they be that valuable? I haven't seen any WRXs with LGT wheels. Or is it just in certain regions of the country? (where they steal anything? :D)

tom

tom :)

Does everyone keep their lock keys in the car? Of course they do, otherwise you would feel stupid if/when you get a flat tire on the side of the road. What stops someone from breaking a window and getting the locks out to take your wheels? Nothing.

I had wheels stolen from a previous car, despite the wheel locks and Alpine alarm w/pager. The jerks even used and then stole my factory jack (who wants that thing anyways?).

Does everyone keep their lock keys in the car? Of course they do, otherwise you would feel stupid if/when you get a flat tire on the side of the road. What stops someone from breaking a window and getting the locks out to take your wheels? Nothing.

I had wheels stolen from a previous car, despite the wheel locks and Alpine alarm w/pager. The jerks even used and then stole my factory jack (who wants that thing anyways?).

Who said anything about leaving the lock in the car? that's why you make it a keychain out of it, just dont loose your keys ;)

Keefe

Keefe

When my neighbor bought her sedan last week, her sales rep told her to make sure they were on. He said there was an increased incidence of the rims getting jacked from the cars. I'd rather be safe then sorry.

I was wondering where to put the key. Thought I'd get out the old duck tape and hide it somewhere on the car.

Come on you guys. Do you seriously think about someone stealing your wheels? So what are you going to do if someone steals your car? there really isn't anything you can do. If someone really wants to steal something they are going to find a way to get it. Besides that isn't that the reason why you have insurance?

I have a friend who every time we go on a mountain bike ride when we have to put our bikes on the roof rack and when we are on our way home he can never stop and eat somewhere that we have to go inside and sit down because he thinks his bike is going to get stolen even though it is LOCKED to the roof rack. PLEASE ! :lol:

Archived