LegacyGT.com

So i got smoked yesterday...

Off topic fourms>other cars...

So i guess this belongs here, huh?

Those who don't like street racing, kindly hit back on your browser..

Last night i was leaving a car show (11pm-ish) on my way to the studio and im behind this old mone carlo (im goin 60, hes goin like 70ish), eventually we get to a light. It looked pretty beat up, but it sounded nice, so i launched at the light..he didnt launch, so i stopped, and then he sped up and got past me.. Next traffic light, i launch, he launches, i kept up with him for....maybe, oh say...the first few seconds, once we got to like 30 the thing SMOKED me.Now i had low gas (which makes a big difference for some reason) an two people in the car, but the way it whooped my ass was ridiculous. It was still pretty cool. On a side note, there were some pretty crazy females riding izusu motorcycles infront of me on the way there...

Next traffic light, i launch, he launches, i kept up with him for....maybe, oh say...the first few seconds, once we got to like 30 the thing SMOKED me.Now i had low gas (which makes a big difference for some reason) an two people in the car, but the way it whooped my ass was ridiculous. It was still pretty cool.

We have a Purple Fox Mustang in my area that's the same way. It's an 11 second car, but if he races you from a light he won't open her up really until about 40. Sounds like you ran into a strip car without the strip tires. ;)

Do you have any idea on the year of the Monte? If it was a 70-71 SS then it had a 454. :D

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/1/web/289000-289999/289006_28_full.jpg

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/1/web/289000-289999/289006_15_full.jpg

We have a Purple Fox Mustang in my area that's the same way. It's an 11 second car, but if he races you from a light he won't open her up really until about 40. Sounds like you ran into a strip car without the strip tires. ;)

Do you have any idea on the year of the Monte? If it was a 70-71 SS then it had a 454. :D

haha, I wouldn't be suprised. I have no idea what the year was, i've never been much of a monte carlo fan myself

*EDIT*

its not the one in those pix

Guest *Jedimaster*

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/1/web/289000-289999/289006_28_full.jpg

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/1/web/289000-289999/289006_15_full.jpg

I knew someone who had one of those with a big block- had to be sold because the engine made too much torque and twisted the frame! Crazy power like you can't get today.

I'll bet the one he went up against was a mid 80's G-body with a ZZ4 crate engine- for about 9 grand you can buy the car, engine and a competant trans and do low 12's all day!

haha that it funny, my other car is an 86SS, dragged out but you would never know, and it is much faster then a stock GT in a straight line but is scarry in the twisties. [have had a Highly modded WRX keep up with me at the track] i should put some pix in the vBGarage

Whenever I see an older Monte Carlo, Camaro, Mustang etc. That appears to be in good shape, I just assume that they have the crap modded out of them. Most of the owners of an older muscle car (not a classic like soem of the mid to late 60's and early 70's) buy them to mod the car for strip purposes. If one pulls up and has a lumpy idle, I do not assume the car is a piece, but instead is at least running a hot cam. I do not even waste the gas on such endeavors anymore, I used to own a 94' Z28 with the six speed manual and learned the hard way against cars like Epitaph described. Unless it is raining, in which case a Legacy has a distinct advantage.

I don't even waste time with V8s. I've been driving a relatively fast 4 cylinder car for a few years now and it doesn't make sense to rev on someone with twice as many cylinders. Even the slowest V8 is going to eat me alive. I prefer to pick on someone my own size until I am confident that the HP numbers match. I don't like losing, so I never race anyone who is going to beat me. ;)

On another note, if it would have been raining or snowing outside then you would have kicked his ass. ;)

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

heh...i would say yes racing v8 mussel cars in a straight line is an effort in futility, for the most part; as they are usually modded like crazy. Par is usually 400hp or so with out power adders: add boost or juice and there is really no chance...but the GT could smoke a stock v8 monte carlo ss they were only 305cid pushing 180hp and similarly the 305 f-body cars

PS

We used to have a sleeper late '70's Malibu around here with a 500 cid in it that ran 10's. Had hubcaps and a well-hidden cage, some rust ... looked like a total piece. This guy was great because he smoked this dick in his modded Grand National who had been king until that day.

Steve

The G-bodies make some of the best street racers because you never know what you are going to be up agents; is it just the stock 305/307, is it one the meany variations of the 350, maybe it is a big block, or even the 3.8 turbo? You never know and they will all fit under a stock hood. :D

Excuse me? 4 cyls can't beat v8's? There are any number of v8s out there from a 15-year span that never made close to 250 hp.

Around here, every box-body GM has flowmasters. They may not have paint or 4 matching tires but they've got baloney pipes! Are there fast ones? Sure! That's the fun of racing.

Besides, many a dedicated race car left the track wondering how they lost to my 4050lb v6 import - LOL. 7.80s in the 1/8th always got their attention.

I don't even waste time with V8s. I've been driving a relatively fast 4 cylinder car for a few years now and it doesn't make sense to rev on someone with twice as many cylinders. Even the slowest V8 is going to eat me alive. I prefer to pick on someone my own size until I am confident that the HP numbers match. I don't like losing, so I never race anyone who is going to beat me. ;)

On another note, if it would have been raining or snowing outside then you would have kicked his ass. ;)

:lol: IF i had a subie, and it was raning id beat him.

and i love racing v8s, theres NOTHING like beating a cocky old guy in a mustang gt

My uncle has MANY Monte Carlos (He collects them for some reason) and one is an all out track car. On the street, it'll smoke the tires at about any speed...he's scared to drive it, it's funny. Next time I'm there, I'll try to get some pictures of it.

Excuse me? 4 cyls can't beat v8's? There are any number of v8s out there from a 15-year span that never made close to 250 hp.

Around here, every box-body GM has flowmasters. They may not have paint or 4 matching tires but they've got baloney pipes! Are there fast ones? Sure! That's the fun of racing.

Besides, many a dedicated race car left the track wondering how they lost to my 4050lb v6 import - LOL. 7.80s in the 1/8th always got their attention.

I concur with John M 100%. Plenty of V8's out there on par with the boxer motor we have.

I do not disagree with the fact that our 250hp H4 is on par with many V8's hell just look at the Mustang GT's V8 before the current model about 260hp if I am not mistaken. Before that it was around 225 to 215, which is pathetic for a 4.6-5.0L engine. Of course with some easy mods the H4 can make some serious gains, but on the cheap you can get a car with a small block do some nasty modifications to it and have a street monster. Will it handle? No. Will it be a nice car? No. Would you want to drive it 500 miles at a stretch? No. Will it go really damned fast pointed in a strait line? Yes it will, and for some guys that is all that matters.

I bought the Legacy because it is a good balance of performance and amenities, I may do some performance mods to it, but nothing that would take away from reliability and driveablility. Had the Z28, it was fast, handled like a pig, was cramped, and I hated travelling in it. It was a five minute car, that is you drive it for five minutes after you get something nicer; and wonder how you ever put up with it.

:lol: I hope for your sake that you're of Jewish descent, or you're in for a flamin' :lol:

My dads str8 out of isreal...i had a bar mitzvah ;) . I say that because he is a car dealer and is waiting to get me the subaru from an auto auction...so far in the last two months there have been 3 legacy GTs...none the color i want...

The ratio of modded 4 cyl cars capable of beating V8s is EXTREMELY far from the stock V8 cars capable of beating modded 4 cyl. Same with V6 vs V8. Of course I could bring up modded V8s. *shrug* A ten year old LT1 Camaro will kill the Boxer engined 05 LGT in a straight line given equal drivers. Should I even bring up LS1 powered F-bods?

In my area there aren't as many, "poser" V8 cars, with just flowmasters. Let's just say I don't street race my V6 against any V8 car around here no matter if it's from the gas crunching 80s or not. ;)

Are there Turbo Civics, IS 300s, Golfs, yadda yadda that are capable of beating V8s? Yes, and while cool in their own right I, personally, don't find them impressive.

What's with the whole domestics only being good in a straight line mentality? The local AutoX S2k beats me around the course, but I still get the, "Damn, that's a V6? Nice driving!" plenty. :D

Guest *Jedimaster*
My dads str8 out of isreal...i had a bar mitzvah ;) . I say that because he is a car dealer and is waiting to get me the subaru from an auto auction...so far in the last two months there have been 3 legacy GTs...none the color i want...

:cool: I understand, it's just that a lot of people say that and it's really kind of rude if you're not Jewish. Then again, I like to make fun of every group including my own, so I won't be the one to give you a problem :lol:

Off topic fourms>other cars...

So i guess this belongs here, huh?

Those who don't like street racing, kindly hit back on your browser..

Last night i was leaving a car show (11pm-ish) on my way to the studio and im behind this old mone carlo (im goin 60, hes goin like 70ish), eventually we get to a light. It looked pretty beat up, but it sounded nice, so i launched at the light..he didnt launch, so i stopped, and then he sped up and got past me.. Next traffic light, i launch, he launches, i kept up with him for....maybe, oh say...the first few seconds, once we got to like 30 the thing SMOKED me.Now i had low gas (which makes a big difference for some reason) an two people in the car, but the way it whooped my ass was ridiculous. It was still pretty cool. On a side note, there were some pretty crazy females riding izusu motorcycles infront of me on the way there...

Discribe these "izusu motorcycles" as far as I know Izusu only markets trucks. They make motorcycles?:confused:

Hope you dont want yellow :lol:

black on black baby.

I still get the, "Damn, that's a V6? Nice driving!" plenty. :D

:D i sure love my membership to that club

:cool: I understand, it's just that a lot of people say that and it's really kind of rude if you're not Jewish. Then again, I like to make fun of every group including my own, so I won't be the one to give you a problem :lol:

lol yea the whole reason i say that is because he really fits almost every stereotype of a jew, with an emphasis on the being cheap with his money part.

Discribe these "izusu motorcycles" as far as I know Izusu only markets trucks. They make motorcycles?:confused:

my friend anthony (who was in the car) loves motor cycles an shit, he said they all ran 9s. I definitly belive him the an way they moved it looked like they were really like...high powered

Archived