LegacyGT.com

What is the smallest rim - largest tire you can go with on an LGT?

godwhomismike

I notice the stock wheel/tire combo the Legacy comes with doesn't take well with the mine field pot hole filled roads that are in my area. Is it possible to go with 16" wheels and larger tires, or stick with the stock wheels and get larger tires (like the Outback sedan).

What do you guys think?

- Mike

They might be able to set the CAL with the Select tool at the dealership. I know there was a posting about being able to adjust rim size, not sure about rolling diameter though (that may be fixed with the rim size).

Also, if you're worried about rim damage, you might want to find a tire with a stiffer sidewall like the Azenis Sport tires (not for winter, of course). Of course, ride quality will suffer some.

I notice the stock wheel/tire combo the Legacy comes with doesn't take well with the mine field pot hole filled roads that are in my area. Is it possible to go with 16" wheels and larger tires, or stick with the stock wheels and get larger tires (like the Outback sedan).

What do you guys think?

- Mike

I think you should have gotten a Red Beast. :lol:

I believe Jaxx has already downsized his front rotors to WRX rotors, caliper bracket, and caliper and he's running 16" rims (he did it for brake biased setup). You can buy the 2.5i Front brake set (rotor, caliper bracket, caliper and brake pads) and do a swap so you can fit some 16". If you are thinking of sticking of 17" rims and not worry about swapping out the brakes, you can go with a 245/45/17 tire and get a 17"x8" or 17"x8.5" rim instead.

The GT wheel wells and spring perch can accomodate up to a 26" tire (but I wouldnt go any further than a 25.6" tire diameter).

So for your information, this is what you are looking for:

Rim:

16"x7" with a +40mm to +55mm offset

16"x7.5 with a +42mm to +51mm offset

Tire:

225/55/16

Bridgestone S-03 Pole Positions Summer @ $167 at http://www.tirerack.com

Kumho ECSTA ASX All-seasons @ $81 at http://www.tirerack.com

205/60/16

Bridgestone Potenza G009 All-seasons @ $67 each at http://www.tirerack.com

Kumho ECSTA HP4 716s All-seasons @ $51 each at http://www.tirerack.com

There's about 50+ other tires listed.. but I only listed a few that are worth looking.

Keefe

Keefe

Also, how can you recalibrate the speedo if you throw it off.

- Mike

Pain in the ass. That's what recalibrating a speedo is. I changed face gauges in my Mustang once. I got GT gauges that were white like the Cobra's. Anyway, the GT gauges topped out at like 160 while mine topped out at 125. So I had to take off the speedo needle and drive side by side with someone on a deserted straightaway and then put the needle back in at the speed I was going. I was talking with the other driver by cell phone so I could get it set right. It worked, but man, what a pain. I don't know how else you would do it if you weren't able to remove the needles. Fortunately that wasn't hard to do on the Mustang.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

Also, how can you recalibrate the speedo if you throw it off.

- Mike

Screw the speedo, it's only going to be off by either 2% (if you keep the tire diameter at 25") to 4.5% (if you go with a 25.5" tire diameter).

Since the speed sensor is on the tranny (stupid AWDs), you would need some kind of electronic adapter that would correct the minor difference. Since Subarus are not built like Mustangs, you can't just take off the needle from the gauge and just put it back where "it suppose to go" because it's a percentage of difference, not a constant.

Example:

You cant just say the odometer is off by 5mph. If you just replaced the needle, then it's going to show that you are travelling 5mph when really you are driving at 10 mph (because you moved it down by 5mph). Sure, it works when you are not moving (at 0mph). The only time when the needle is going to read correctly is where decide to match it to the real speed.

I would say "screw it" to the adjustment of the speedo. When going with larger wheels, the speedo will show a lower speed than what you are travelling (IE speedo say 55~58mph when you are really going 60mph).. it's not that big of a deal, just keep the speed lower or at speed limit and you'll be fine. Oh yea, one more thing, you'll be putting "less" miles on the odometer clock ;) Just keep the speed in mind. I swap my rims and tires out all the time, and I am usually either 2% or 3% off the speedo, which makes my car actually break 0-60 mph in 2nd gear (stock top speed of 2nd gear on OEM tire size on the GT is listed at 58mph, so that "0-60 in 5.8" is probably when the testers had to shift into 3rd causing a higher time).

Keefe

Keefe

i did it because i alredy had a st of 16" snow tires ..

the brake bias was just a bonus .. ill go back to the big brakes for summer

IMHO stock bias is too far forward

wrx brakes are pretty cheep

just stroll through the clasified overs at nasioc

its a simple bolt on and bleed afair

i supose you could swap out the rears to wrx/rs/forester rears and the fronts to RS/forester calipers/rotors run a 15" rim

who know what the bias would be like .. most likely wacky

Archived