LegacyGT.com

5eat slow shift (2006 LGT)

polvo

I had the car at 3/4 throttle today (sport mode) and got it up to 5k RPMs (probably doing 75mph - not sure what gear) when I let off the gas and it didn't shift to a higher gear. It stayed at 5k and slowed to 4.5k RPMs before it finally up-shifted, which lasted for maybe 4 seconds.

Other than than, it shifts fine. I've noticed it will make slow up-shifts at times if I let off the throttle early during moderate pulls. Anyone else have this issue? I hope the tranny is okay...:confused:

FYI - I bought the Deadbolt wagon if that helps. I know I'm pushing it power wise, but the trans shifts fine when I'm putting around and seems really smooth.

In sport mode it holds the gears longer for you, on both acceleration and deceleration. When you give it gas and let it off it will hold the gear for you because it assumes you are doing something fun like going through a turn and it thinks you'll want to be in the same gear to stay in the powerband.

It is completely normal.

Thanks for the info, guys. The VB has been at the top of my list, but it's kind of hard to hide that from the wife. I'll need to come up with an above average/creative excuse to make it happen, which will take some time.

Thanks for the info, guys. The VB has been at the top of my list, but it's kind of hard to hide that from the wife. I'll need to come up with an above average/creative excuse to make it happen, which will take some time.

You: "i need a 700 dollar part for my car"

Wife: "WHY?!"

You: "Its either that or a 7k tranny rebuilt."

Wife: "........."

I think you'll get the green light on a VB.

"I for one do not doubt you, dude. Your car is fast and an internet legend." -Gire

When your car fails to drop in RPM during up-shifts that's when it gets interesting. If this happens (as it did with me) you are on borrowed time. You will likely be saving wear on your clutch packs the sooner you get the VB in. Hopefully you don't get to the point of no return and require a full rebuild, that is gonna really cost you.

Wife: "why did we just buy a nice car with only 23K miles that needs repairs/upgrades?"

-Fixed :lol:

-Fixed :lol:

You: "Why do you need 500 dollar purses?"

Wife: "Cuz their cute and i need something to match with on wednesday."

You: "I want faster shifts and the reduce wear and tear on my clutch packs, i think my reason is good enough if you can get away with cute."

Your wife seems like a very good debater, i think your better off giving her flowers and taking her out rather than to beat her with logic and reason.:lol:

Edited by Habitual Line Stepper

"I for one do not doubt you, dude. Your car is fast and an internet legend." -Gire

When your car fails to drop in RPM during up-shifts that's when it gets interesting. If this happens (as it did with me) you are on borrowed time. You will likely be saving wear on your clutch packs the sooner you get the VB in. Hopefully you don't get to the point of no return and require a full rebuild, that is gonna really cost you.

HMmm. My rpms do not always drop on up shifts during normal driving (Usually during manual mode).

During wide open throttle they do.

Define "do not drop". This is not akin to the transmission not shifting. If you feel the tranny has already started "grabbing" the next gear but the revs are staying up, then yes, the thing is slipping. But if you feel the gear grab and the revs stop climbing that second, there's no slipping. If the revs seem to kinda "float" down from the point they stop climbing to the point of actually engaging the gear, that's normal due to the fact the 5EAT is tuned for comfort, not a race transmission. The only way to get rid of this is to get the VB.

My transmission is not slipping from what I can tell. The way it shifts is ... at WOT near redline I can feel that slight "jerk" of the gearshift, the revs stop climbing and start going down and "float" more or less to the point they engage. When I upshift in manual mode at the wrong time, IE when boost is coming in, the tranny really bites into gears "nice", firm and crisp.

Edited by fishbone

The 5EAT delays shifts when cold in order to speed up the warming of the ATF.

It is also known to delay shifts when in Sport or manual mode. Sometimes I am in sport mode and take off spirited, she shifts from 1st to 2nd and if I let off, she will hold the revs up as if asking "hey, are you sure you're not about to hit me in the face? No? Ok, I'm upshifting now".

You and I and a few others are the cautious type. I am a pretty conservative Stage 2. TMIC, UP, shorty, tranny cooler, rallitek mount, PDX tune. Do I NEED a VB? Probably not? Am I getting one? Hell yes, come late spring. I am saving up and getting it done to STFU my little voices in the head that are whispering me "you're killing it" every time I ride out the gears or "oh Lord, is it slipping?" every time I perceive an upshift didn't occur according to my expectations and anticipation.

I am actually looking into the whole clutch-packs kit from IPT as well. I just need to inquire my shop as to how much a rebuild will be.

Anyway, I'm dragging this off-topic.

Edited by fishbone

It's very nice of them to sell their kits. I am expecting that the shop I usually go to will be significantly cheaper. I say this because traditionally they have always charged me a fraction of the cost I would have had to spend elsewhere. As a recent experience, the dealer quoted me $1200 in labor for a transmission sensor harness replacement because the assholes were goign by the book: 3.5 hrs for the front, 3.5hrs for the back, heck, we gotta do both so add them up! These guys at the shop charged me $230.

I believe as long as you go to a good transmission shop you will come out ahead either way based on the simple fact that you don't have to worry about shipping. But then again, experience comes into play. Does the said shop know Subaru/Jatco/whatever trannies, or is yours the one they are going to learn on? IPT has rebuilt countless ones, so ...

Act 5,

will do if it ever happens :). Could still be awhile out.

Transmission Guru's are transmission guru's :)

Essentials: better clutchpacks, sprags, increase line pressure etc.

Edited by VTGT

Also, a few times I have noticed at lower speed, under certain throttle (maybe 3/4), the MPH don't SEEM to match the RPMs/revs I'm hearing/seeing from the engine. The car RPMs go up much quicker than the speedo. This tells me that there could be some slippage.

I know this is partly due to me being over sensitive to the cars reactions and quirks, but this seems a little odd. I've never had an LGT, so I'm not sure what a well functioning STOCK car should feel like.

I did hammer down full throttle at lower speed to test it and it did feel as though the cars trans reacted well and the RPMs matched the speedo accordingly. My wife was thumbing through a book at the time and did a neck snapping face plant into the book as the car shot forward like a striped-a$$ ape. :redface::lol:

I'l be getting the VB upgrade fairly soon. To be honest, the car won't be daily driven and I won't beat on it. Seriously. I've never even floored it from a dead stop.

I've already put the stock cans back on and will sell off the stromung cans to fund a new wideband and boost gauge.

How does that wagon feel?

Handling, power or tranny? All of the above?

Power. I am curious as to how powerful it feels since it was a Deadbolt car. Turbo lag ok?

To be honest, I haven't driven many Subaru's, none of which were even closely modded to this level, so I don't have much to compare it too. My former car (my wife's car) was an 05 Forester XT stage 2. It was quick, but not nearly as fast as the Legacy. I actually feel G-force type of pull with this car. It does have a decent amount of lag, but I like being able to drive around and keep it out of boost to conserve fuel. It's perfect for me. It's been fairly cold the last few days and I've noticed that there is much less lag. When I hit the gas it's takes only about 1 second for it to really start pulling. Hard.

Interesting factoid: This car came straight from the dealership with all the aftermarket parts installed. Deadbolt didn't build this car, he just bought it from a friend/client who had all this done at the dealership before he drove it off the lot. The guy bought another car shortly after the Legacy and sold the Legacy to Jerry. Apparently, this guy goes through cars rather fast and found some sort of new exotic that he wanted more.

Also, a few times I have noticed at lower speed, under certain throttle (maybe 3/4), the MPH don't SEEM to match the RPMs/revs I'm hearing/seeing from the engine. The car RPMs go up much quicker than the speedo. This tells me that there could be some slippage.

You may have a genuine slipping issue but keep in mind the 5EAT has a high-stall torque converter. The stall speed is 3000-3200rpm :eek:

Go to Youtube and look for username f1shbone, I have a couple of Legacy acceleration videos. You will see that from a dead stop it looks as if I'm torque braking. The revs go up but the car isn't moving as quick at first. Looking at some of my datalogs, the torque converter seems to be swallowing as much as 900rpms sometimes.

My wife was thumbing through a book at the time and did a neck snapping face plant into the book as the car shot forward like a striped-a$$ ape. :redface::lol:

Haha, awesome. My wife also complains that she feels nauseous when I hammer her and then back off. That abrupt stop in acceleration is noticeable.

Polvo hard to tell if you have slip or not, but please err on the side of caution, letting this go could mean that a VB wont help you anymore and a tranny rebuild or replace is your only option. Those 2 options give every 5eat member on the forum sleepless nights.:lol:

Also fishbone the last statement on your post made me lol.

Wife: "........."

and you would know this how??? :lol::lol::lol:

actually, my conversation with Phil when I found out I needed a VB upgrade went something similar, however it was really the VB was cheaper than a new transmission. $1200 total after all labor, shipping and car rental for a week vs $8000 for a new trans, labor, etc. Let's say he was NOT happy. I had to make it up by buying him his STI. LOL

Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!