LegacyGT.com

Cylinder Misfire

Hi,

My 2000 LGT Wagon has reported a cylinder 2 misfire on my OBD Reader. Knowing that I recently (6 months) replaced the Coil, wires and plugs, is there anything else that could cause this? It's not consistent but the Check Engine light will come on periodically. I also notice a sputtering of the engine at high acceleration but only when I really accelerate quickly. The mileag is 166,000.

Thanks In Advance

Joe

Hi,

My 2000 LGT Wagon has reported a cylinder 2 misfire on my OBD Reader. Knowing that I recently (6 months) replaced the Coil, wires and plugs, is there anything else that could cause this? It's not consistent but the Check Engine light will come on periodically. I also notice a sputtering of the engine at high acceleration but only when I really accelerate quickly. The mileag is 166,000.

Thanks In Advance

Joe

Any issues with coolant temps or with coolant loss? You might actually have a cracked head gasket, or at least one that's going.

Pull your #2 wire off at the coil pack and at the spark plug end. Look for any corrosion at either end. Possibly getting an arc to ground which will carbon up the connectors very quickly and if you do have carbon clean that up (on both sides of the connection) and coat it with some good dielectric grease in there to keep it from corroding.

BTW - were these all Subaru OEM replacement parts (coil pack and wires). If not, you may want to put OEMs on as some AM sets have been known to produce MF codes.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Hi,

Excellent Suggestions, all! I've a cracked head gasket for now about 30K miles. I use the coolant additive from Subaru and all seems well. With reference to having the Valves adjusted, is that complicated enough to have SB do it?Secondly, what about replacing the Fuel Injectors? Never did it before either...BTW no errors in days now...

166k, 30k with bad head gasket, and sputtering under heavy acceleration, let me throw out the possibility of a partially clogged catalytic converter.

Or, maybe more simply, the heavy acceleration is causing the head gasket to leak under the pressure causing your misfire. Whats your plug look like on that cylinder?

• 12 years later...
Hi,

Excellent Suggestions, all! I've a cracked head gasket for now about 30K miles. I use the coolant additive from Subaru and all seems well. With reference to having the Valves adjusted, is that complicated enough to have SB do it?Secondly, what about replacing the Fuel Injectors? Never did it before either...BTW no errors in days now...

Do you have a link for said additive? I believe I have a bad head gasket causing a cylinder 2 misfire as well. Need it to last long enough to save up money for a rebuild :/

Old thread, I'll reply in case they don't.

https://www.amazon.com/SUBARU-SOA635071-Coolant-System-Conditioner/dp/B00IGZP2UE

Supposedly just Holts Radweld in a Subaru Bottle.

https://www.scoobyenthusiast.com/subaru-maintenance/all-about-subaru-cooling-system-conditioner-soa635071.html

I'm not sure what you mean by rebuild if you think the head gasket on cylinder 2 side is bad, but with your issues it wouldn't hurt to have the valves checked while the head with cylinder 2 is off.

Edit: By the way, the OP mentions a 2000 Legacy, they were more prone to internal coolant leaks, our 2005-2009 non-turbos are not, we're prone to external oil leaks from head gaskets failing.