LegacyGT.com

*** Knock, do you have any?

LittleBlueGT

• Replies 697
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
I got my car protuned at stage 2 just this week and I took a few logs. I found a KC at -3.5 during one of the WOT runs. Should I be worried? or should I let the ECU learn more before I should take logs again.

log 10 was from a stop and log 8 was 3rd gear pull

[ATTACH]77662[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]77663[/ATTACH]

Auto tranny I presume.

You have some definite learned knock, maybe you are boosting more in colder temps?

The one count of knock correction (FBKC) was after a shift and when load was changing.

I don't think you have a HUGE problem, but I would get it tweaked a bit.

thanks for your input LBGT. those were logged at around 25F outdoor temp. I've probably driven 40 miles and did maybe 4 WOT runs since getting it tuned. would flkc or fbkc fix the knocks with more driving or during warmer temps? that -3.5 kc actually happened once so far under high load

thanks for your input LBGT. those were logged at around 25F outdoor temp. I've probably driven 40 miles and did maybe 4 WOT runs since getting it tuned. would flkc or fbkc fix the knocks with more driving or during warmer temps? that -3.5 kc actually happened once so far under high load

the ECU's knock control strategy is doing its job on your car, but it will always be trying to add that timing back, little by little, then it will knock again.

Best bet IMO is to tune it out properly.

So, emailed tuner logs, got back a new map, ran 1 wot and gg.... something is clanking in the engine near where the pulleys are. car can drive but when i hit 20% or more throttle.... the clanking becomes obvious.... taking car back to tuner to check it out... sigh... hope the engine is ok.

wot run.csv

So, emailed tuner logs, got back a new map, ran 1 wot and gg.... something is clanking in the engine near where the pulleys are. car can drive but when i hit 20% or more throttle.... the clanking becomes obvious.... taking car back to tuner to check it out... sigh... hope the engine is ok.

[ATTACH]77805[/ATTACH]

Not sure exactly what you are talking about, but that log doesn't look horrible. A little bit of FBKC (COBB speak = Knock Correction) and there is one little blip of FLKC (COBB speak = Knock Learning).

The one -5.6 FBKC event is as you were letting off the throttle, I wouldn't worry about it.

In other words, that tune doesn't look all that bad at all.

What is the "clanking" that you speak of?

After that run, whenever i increase throttle past 20%... engine maks weird stutter/clanking noise.... checked out where its coming from and its the front of the engine bay by the pully/belts. possible engine damage ? not gonna know till i get it to the shop

I am seeing a decrease in DA after the shift and think it might be the IC pipeing rattleing because da goes back up after a second. When I do one gear pull with no shift I see 6.0-6.5 which is what the table is set at. Unfortunatly I dont have a clean third gear pull from 2000-7k but you can get the idea. I'd be interested to know what you guys think.

#2 1st and second gear wot

#3 3rd gear WOT

Edited by cryo

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Providing unmatched customer service and a Premium level of Dyno/E-tuning to the Community

cryotuneperformance@yahoo.com

facebook.com/cryotuneperformance.

I don't have a laptop so I an stuck logging with the AP2 handheld which can't log knock correction or learned knock. I have to work with what i got.

Dave

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Providing unmatched customer service and a Premium level of Dyno/E-tuning to the Community

cryotuneperformance@yahoo.com

facebook.com/cryotuneperformance.

I don't have a laptop so I an stuck logging with the AP2 handheld which can't log knock correction or learned knock. I have to work with what i got.

Dave

Yes it can.

make you sure you have the latest revisions.

Holy scheist, I am back to .88 DAM and DA as low as -0.3. I am hoping it's just a batch of bad gas, the map is the most conservative OTS you can get (COBB ACN 91 Stg2). Do the Cobb maps really disable learning?

I've only seen one, but it did disable learning at high-ish RPM and load. If you can pull your tune with EcuFlash, you can see the "fine learning knock connection" ranges.

It's one form of knock correction, there is another (feedback knock correction) which remains enabled but it only lasts for seconds. This guy's engine will hit the same timing, and knock again, on the next WOT pull.

Yes it can.

make you sure you have the latest revisions.

Are you sure about that? I had the absolute latest revisions (newest beta) back about... September 2009, and it couldn't do it for the 2005 LGT, and probably not the 06 either. But the 07 and up (I think it was 07) it could do it.

It has got to be the shitty winter gas in Nebraska. I found a station that sells 95 octane for $4.39 or 100 octane for $6.59. Mixing it with half tank 91 should give me somewhere around 93, the 95 stuff that is. I want to get this for a datalog run and see how the car behaves, to check for "true knock".

NSFW, can I expect the IAM/DAM go back up to 1.0 after a while of driving with no runs above 4k rpm?

I'm going to try a different station too, a Phillips 66 instead of the Shell one by us. I expect it won't make a damn difference but what the heck.

Edited by fishbone

Holy scheist, I am back to .88 DAM and DA as low as -0.3. I am hoping it's just a batch of bad gas, the map is the most conservative OTS you can get (COBB ACN 91 Stg2). Do the Cobb maps really disable learning?

No, they don't. I was just lying to you in this post about 2 pages back. :rolleyes:

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2704630&postcount=58

As it's been explained to me more, the Cobb maps aren't good because they have a problem with their FLKC ranges. For some reason, Cobb has FLKC disabled above loads of 2.2. In other words, your ECU will NEVER learn to retard timing at loads of 2.0 and above to PREVENT knock. It will ALWAYS rely on FBKC, which is BAD.

Here's the thread:

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2546020&postcount=14

Here is what a version 1.16 map looks like, and everything I have seen points towards COBB not changing it on their later revisions.:eek:

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg194/littlebluegt/COBBvs116flkcload.jpg

FLKC turns off at 2.2 load, and turns back on below 2.1 load.:eek::eek:

Brutal!:eek::eek::eek: That means your only form of knock control above 2.2 load is FBKC, which is never learned, and will never affect IAM (or DAM).:eek::eek::eek::eek:

I should e-mail COBB, they have changed things in past on my recommendation (didn't think they would listen to me, as I was just repeating what I had learned from RR) maybe they will do it again?