LegacyGT.com

Cobb Accessport & ECUTek Info LOOK HERE FIRST!

SUBE555

You are missing something. It is actually 290/301 HP (AT THE CRANK)

The numbers I gave you are at the ground. Just so you undrestand the stcok LGT is only putting

196.3 HP and 219.0 TQ to the ground

So no use the figures I gave you and you tell me if 21% increase in wheel HP and 30% more Tq isn't worth it!

• Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are missing something. It is actually 290/301 HP (AT THE CRANK)

The numbers I gave you are at the ground. Just so you undrestand the stcok LGT is only putting

196.3 HP and 219.0 TQ to the ground

So no use the figures I gave you and you tell me if 21% increase in wheel HP and 30% more Tq isn't worth it!

Yea, you got a point there. Thanks for putting it into perspective for me.

They are putting out numbers for stage 1 that claims 290 hp/301 torque.

I guess I should of known that was too good to be true. But w/ the numbers you posted it doesn't seem worth doing all the stages. That really isn't that significant of a gain in either hp or torque that I would of thought.

Calculating flywheel HP from wheel HP (HP) is not at all accurate, and not worth doing.

One of the real benefits of dynamometers is that they show WHP, which is all that really matters.

You can have two identical cars (engine-wise), but due to different engine oil, tranny fluid, and even tire type and pressure, you can have different WHP numbers.

WHP numbers are all that really matters.....in reality, only the wheel torque numbers across various rpms. HP is not a "real" measurement, it is a calculation of torque & rpm (work over time). Torque is "real".

To prove the point, look at some common cars out there. An LGT 5MT with 250 rated flywheel HP can crack high 13s. Any Nissan with the 250-270 HP 3.6 V6 (depending on the model) is only good for mid 14s. Flywheel HP is irrelevant in these comparisons.

Ron

yup, and the car is running well. i raced Barrett in a lightly modded STi the other night, twice from a dig. he put 3 cars on me the first run and 2 cars on the second. both runs were to ~100. not too bad.

when i get the DP and reflash to 1.5 i should be able to hang right in there. ;)

oh, BTW Jarrad, time to change your car list to 3 '05 GT's. :)

We are doing AP's with custom maps.

They will be the same basic map as our EcuTek map. The AP and the EcuTek are two different approaches to accomplish the same thing, both load new ROM data into your stock ECU. Right now we are working on converting our maps, which takes a bit of time. Once we have a complete selection we will make a more public announcement.

For a LGT or STi the price will be the same as an EcuTek reflash, $799 for the AP and our map.

Jarrad

$799 for the AP and our map

So how much for just a map? A huge amount of us already have the AP's

Your 1.5T map would be of interest.

In addition, your mild 18g tune without fuel mods would be interesting as well.

Matt

We are doing AP's with custom maps.

They will be the same basic map as our EcuTek map. The AP and the EcuTek are two different approaches to accomplish the same thing, both load new ROM data into your stock ECU. Right now we are working on converting our maps, which takes a bit of time. Once we have a complete selection we will make a more public announcement.

For a LGT or STi the price will be the same as an EcuTek reflash, $799 for the AP and our map.

Jarrad

That's great news Jarrad. Sounds like the best of both worlds. Have you done dyno comparisons of the Cobb and PDX AP maps? What performance gains can be expected over the Cobb maps?

Does the realtime map go away when you shut the car off and revert back to your basemap? I had put on my stock map for the dealer, when I picked up the car later on I went to put back my stg2 map and it was already running it. ?

Does the realtime map go away when you shut the car off and revert back to your basemap? I had put on my stock map for the dealer, when I picked up the car later on I went to put back my stg2 map and it was already running it. ?

The realtime map stays active unless you disconnect the battery (or change/delete it with the AP).

The AP only shows you which base map you have loaded, so if your realtime map is different than your base map, you won't see that.

Ron

The realtime map stays active unless you disconnect the battery (or change/delete it with the AP).

The AP only shows you which base map you have loaded, so if your realtime map is different than your base map, you won't see that.

Thanks!

Have you done dyno comparisons of the Cobb and PDX AP maps? What performance gains can be expected over the Cobb maps?

I doubt PDX would write a direct comparison of their maps to COBB’s ;)

I don’t think you can compare the actual dyno numbers from cobb vs pdx.

Using the before and after number from each site to calculate horsepower and torque gains should make for a valid comparison though.

“Stage 2” maps

PDX (uppipe, turboback)

before after % gained

HP 191 245 28%

TQ 190 275 45%

COBB (turboback)

before after % gained

HP 196.3 237.7 21%

TQ 219 285.5 30%

Some of PDX’s gains are from the uppipe, and maybe some are from being tuned at a lower elevation. I’m interested in the PDX 1.5T because that is the hardware path I plan to go down (UP, DP, TMIC), and I live at the approximately the same elevation as Portland.

I doubt PDX would write a direct comparison of their maps to COBB’s ;)

Why not? PDX charges a premium for their AP with custom maps. People will want to know what they're getting for the additional expense. If the differences are significant I'm sure it would generate a lot of business for PDX from current AP owners. I'm really interested in seeing how their AP maps compare to their ECUTek maps posted a while back.

I don’t think you can compare the actual dyno numbers from cobb vs pdx.

Sure you can, but not from different dynos. PDX could easily dyno the base AP map then reflash/dyno with their custom map and publish the results.

I have been reading alot on the AP before I buy one. But could some one explain to me the difference between BASE MAP/REAlTIME MAP. If you want to take the time I'd appreciate it. I am bit of a noob at the MOD game, but i got the itch and want to know what im doing....:D

Denial is your best friend

This is actually a bit of a touchy subject, since in some manners PDXTuning and Cobb are competitors. Both companies are well respected, and both are putting out what they believe to be the best balance of safety and performance. When choosing one over the other you should look at all the information available to you, and choose what you like the best.

The simple truth is this: there is no absolute best base map. So long as both maps produce good results and longevity of the motor/car over a broad spectrum of cars, they are both good base maps. Judging that one car made more power than the other does not mean that it has a better base map, nor does it mean that it is less safe. Due to that fact PDXTuning would never compare the power output of our maps to anyone’s map and claim PDXTuning’s map was better.

I hope this helps people understand a bit,

Jarrad

Why not? PDX charges a premium for their AP with custom maps. People will want to know what they're getting for the additional expense. If the differences are significant I'm sure it would generate a lot of business for PDX from current AP owners. I'm really interested in seeing how their AP maps compare to their ECUTek maps posted a while back.

Sure you can, but not from different dynos. PDX could easily dyno the base AP map then reflash/dyno with their custom map and publish the results.

For you the end user the biggest difference between the two maps is a base map takes much longer to load into the ECU than a real time map. With street tuner you can make changes to a real time map, and those changes instantly take effect. A base map requires the changes to be flashed, severl minutes time, into the ECU before they will take effect.

Jarrad

I have been reading alot on the AP before I buy one. But could some one explain to me the difference between BASE MAP/REAlTIME MAP. If you want to take the time I'd appreciate it. I am bit of a noob at the MOD game, but i got the itch and want to know what im doing....:D

Ok I have it installed and after a few miles I can tell a difference. Not huge though. I loaded Stage II 1.10 MT. I read about the learning process. How long does this take and how much more will I feel the performance. Has anyone loaded 1.15? Should I go right to that? Thanks!

I will put it to the test on the 25 minute ride home tonight!

Chad