LegacyGT.com

Cobb Accessport & ECUTek Info LOOK HERE FIRST!

SUBE555

• Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been reading every page of this, and although I now have a slight headache :lol: I still have a few questions.

1. I'm not quite sure about the r/t maps.. is this accessport thing something you can put away in your house after flashing the base map? or is it something you want to keep with you? I'm kind of a mod it and forget it kind of guy.. I dont want to have to think about this kind of thing a lot.

2. some guys have mentioned this but it was not directly addressed, can this thing be detected by the dealership, and does it mess with your warranty in any way?

3. does such a thing reduce engine life in any way? I've always wondered how it was that so many companies (for my last vehicle it was places like superchips diablo etc. making re-tunes) manage to do things better than the factory with seemingly no side-effects??

4. I always run 93 octane, we dont have 91 here, only 87 89 and 93 so I always put in 93, one guy on here mentioned running a 91 stage 1 anyway just to be safe.. is there a degree of.. I dunno non-safe here? heh, bad wording.. if I'm in a bad mood or in a hurry I can be pretty mean to a vehicle, so I dont want to hurt the thing in one of those 15 minute drives that takes 5 minutes if ya know what I mean.

Thanks guys, oh, and most improtantly.. where can I buy this? I didn't spend long on the cobb website, but I couldn't find during my time there where on the site any information on the ap was, nor where to buy such a thing.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

How does the valet and anti-theft map work?

For example, how would I "load" either before I leave the car to the valet parking guy or if I go shopping in a mall?

I take it then that most people would have to have the AP hooked up and taken with you when you want to use the valet and anti-theft modes all the time too,...

sorry,..just trying to understand the concept on the valet and anti-theft modes as I cant see myself telling the valet guy "Wait while I load the Valet mode on my ECU,." as he's waiting to park my car and if Im using the 91 Oct base map,..

How does the valet and anti-theft map work?

For example, how would I "load" either before I leave the car to the valet parking guy or if I go shopping in a mall?

I take it then that most people would have to have the AP hooked up and taken with you when you want to use the valet and anti-theft modes all the time too,...

sorry,..just trying to understand the concept on the valet and anti-theft modes as I cant see myself telling the valet guy "Wait while I load the Valet mode on my ECU,." as he's waiting to park my car and if Im using the 91 Oct base map,..

Yes, they are real-time maps and in order to use them you need to plug-in the AP and switch maps, which takes about 30 seconds.

i just thought of this the other day

say someone makes a map that is meant for stage 2 with a fmic, i guess with street tuner software, do you need street tuner software to use it? or can you just download it onto the free slot in the regular AP?

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. If people create maps for certain mods on street tuner can we share? Probably not the best idea since it is car specific but would it work?

That was if another 5EAT had pullies and say an intake we could share?

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. If people create maps for certain mods on street tuner can we share? Probably not the best idea since it is car specific but would it work?

That was if another 5EAT had pullies and say an intake we could share?

Nope, according to the literature on Cobb's website, StreetTuner maps are not shareable, they will only work on the AP they are married to.

Until someone figures out a hack I guess...

What about with the PROtuner? I could not exactly ascertain how they work. When our cars get "Protuned", do we get new maps on our AP that we can still swap out with the stock or economy map? Or is this like an ECUTek tune where the process overwrites the ECU directly?

Is anyone using ECUtek on their Legacy or has everyone decided to use the Accesport?

I meet on Wednesday with a bunch of WRX guys that swear on the ECUtek - honestly, after asking them why they felt it was better I only got "it's well worth the extra $200" then a whole buttload of techno babble, which I totally don't understand. :lol:

So in layman terms, what's the differences and are they basically equal (except for price)?

- Mike

Nope, according to the literature on Cobb's website, StreetTuner maps are not shareable, they will only work on the AP they are married to.

Until someone figures out a hack I guess...

They must have changed it then. Probably all the tuners getting all pissy. Originally they said the point of streettuner was to be able to share maps..

edit: it's right on the cobb site right now:

Other Software Features

The StreetTUNER allows users the ability to Save and SHARE their files with other StreetTUNER users. Files can be saved in both StreetTUNER BASE MAP and REAL TIME formats. Various Staged and convenience Base Maps are also provided.

I read that as well - the key to sharing is that all parties involved have to own the street tuner software. I imagine it's to protect the pro - tuning market and to protect other users from a map that people with a little knowledge (i.e. dangerous) would create with street tuner...

What liability?

The StreetTuner itself is a device that allows people to hose up their engines in any way that they see fit!!!! ;-)

You're on your own with any roll-your-own software tool, whether you develop your own, or get a map from someone else.

Ron

• 2 weeks later...

For stage 1 what is the hp?

For stage 2 what is the hp?

For stage 3 what is the hp?

Also, has anyone ever done a stage 1 and not gained the 40 hp that supposedly was suppose to happen? This goes for stage 2 and 3 as well.........

Thanks for whoever answers.

For stage 1 what is the hp?

For stage 2 what is the hp?

For stage 3 what is the hp?

Also, has anyone ever done a stage 1 and not gained the 40 hp that supposedly was suppose to happen? This goes for stage 2 and 3 as well.........

Thanks for whoever answers.

I don't remeber my butt-dyno telling me I gained 40 hp with stage one. I'm not sure Stg 1 is supposed to give that. Prolly more like 20+ if UR lucky.

If you do a search in this Forum, the two relevant tests for Stage 1 (for me, anyway) were:

Cobb got 224 WHP on a Mustang Dyno

Another private owner got 223.9 WHP on a 424x Dynojet.

Cobb's dyno for Stage 2 were 237 WHP.

No Stage 3, AFAIK.

IIRC, stock LGT dyno 3s were clustered around 200 WHP.

Ron

I don't remeber my butt-dyno telling me I gained 40 hp with stage one. I'm not sure Stg 1 is supposed to give that. Prolly more like 20+ if UR lucky.

When I went to Cobbs site, they claimed 40 hp. 20 hp is a small gain.......

They are putting out numbers for stage 1 that claims 290 hp/301 torque.

I guess I should of known that was too good to be true. But w/ the numbers you posted it doesn't seem worth doing all the stages. That really isn't that significant of a gain in either hp or torque that I would of thought.

Keep something in mind. Peak HP numbers ain't worth a pile of steaming feces, IMNSHO. The torque curve from idle out to the peak is what gives you what you want.

if you do a mod that increases torque throughout the rpm range, but adds nothing to the peak HP, you will like it better than one that lowers the torque curve and only adds peak HP (with torque way up on the top end).

Keep in mind that HP is not "real", it is a derivative calculation based on torque over rpm. Torque is real. Increasing gross torque numbers is something that you can feel.

Now, in an old RWD musclecar, you ca easily change the rear-end gearing to get back the low-midrange torque from puttng in a big cam, big-tube headers, or a too-big carb. Not the case on these or many other AWD/FWD cars.

Ron