LegacyGT.com

Cobb Accessport & ECUTek Info LOOK HERE FIRST!

SUBE555

The few times that I tried it, I have matched what the trip computer shows, so I don't mess with it anymore. I'm also pretty consistent on how I fuel the car.

To answer the above question, yes.....it is the average mpg shown.

For the first full tank after the AP map load, I got my lowest average mpg ever........19.5 Had something to do with my heavy right shoe!!

Ron

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone tried either the Cobb or ECUTek production with an automatic transmission? Are the results equally good as M/T?

jdkobe

I'm using the AccessPort with the 5EAT. it kicks MAJOR ass. not sure how to answer your second question though. do you have an AT? if so, who cares what the MT'ers are doing! :lol:

figured out my poor mpg avg had a lot to do with "city" driving and a very heavy right foot. I've since taken the car on the highway for a couple of long drives and I'm now averaging around 21 mpg. now if only my right foot would behave...

Thanks Tu11ym0n - I started to get worried as I didn't see anyone share their experience with the Cobb and an auto trannie. Can you tell me more.... what improvements did you see, in general?

At what point is a laptop required? Just when download new maps from the internet?

What maps are included on the access port by default?

Anyone try this out with Linux. Has it run successfully under Wine?

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

I use a Mac and am therefore unable to load new maps to the AP. LUCKILY, I live 10 minutes from Cobb, and they are rad about helping with stuff like this. You only need a Wintel machine (I don't trust emulators like Wine or Virtual PC to manage serial DB-9 connections this critical) to load new maps to the AP.

The AP comes loaded with all the latest maps from their website. I went from feeling like a retard about AccessPORT to being a ninja at it in the 25 minutes it took me to flash the ECU.

Without access to a Windoze machine with a serial port, I'd recommend sending the AP in to Cobb to load new maps if anything awesome or critical is updated. However, you would likely only want/need to do this every year or 2, as the maps included are more than sufficient for most.

If you're taking your Leg GT past stage 2, Cobb can do a custom AP tune and create maps, but it ain't cheap.

Never start modding, kids. It's too late for me, save yourselves!

Hooray for 07+ AccessPORT!

At what point is a laptop required? Just when download new maps from the internet?

What maps are included on the access port by default?

Anyone try this out with Linux. Has it run successfully under Wine?

Thanks

Just use VMWare, or your school/work computer.

I keed I keeed

Just use VMWare, or your school/work computer.
Indeed, thankfully I have an old PC at work that I use for testing sites and this has now officially become my AccessPort computer. I thought about trying VirtualPC but quickly got reminded that Macs don't have serial ports (at least those made in the last 7 years or so - other than the Xserve that is).

Anyone got the stage 2? What was the cost? When i get stage 2, do i have to have a new downpipe, or can i run the stock one? Does installation come in the deal, or do i have to put the turbo back on myself? Is it seriously just a bolt on system anyone can do, or what? Thanks guys...

Update for Mac users: Running Virtual PC with the Keyspan USB to Serial adapter. It's working, but it's a pain in the ass. I have to uninstall the serial port and reboot the virtual PC each time I close Map Manager & restart. Plus, Cobb came out with a bunch of new maps (yaaay!) and I have AccessPORTs for both our WRX and Leg GT. However, I felt really lame showing up and having to have Justin and his crew load maps for me, so I guess this is better.

Never start modding, kids. It's too late for me, save yourselves!

Hooray for 07+ AccessPORT!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm curious about the performance levels to be gained... using 93 exclusively but I'm guessing that I'm not getting full punch. The car feels strong already but I suspect there's more to be had.

If anyone out there is set up this way I'd really like your opinions and comments!

Considering using AP stock as base and S1 93 real-time.

Ed_T

if you really want to take full advantage of the AP, i would suggest using the same base map you would normally want to drive at.

eg: use stage1 93 octane as your base map, and then switch to a stock realtime map if you need to, or just flash back to stock if you need to.

Dont worry about using up your flashes -- the car can handle more than 100 flashes easily, and even at 100 -- that will last you much longer than the life of the car under any kind of normal flashing routine.

here is my dyno running Stage1 93 octane on the version 1.01 map = the red and green lines represent stage1 base map.

the blue lines reprsent stage1 base map - stock real time map.

I was told by MachVdan (who's dyno i was on) - that the real time stock numbers were almost identical to what other stock legacies put down. - so it's a good indication of a truely stock legacy.

http://pictars.com/users/rallispec/graph.jpg

How many times can you flash the ECU? Does each time you switch maps count as one of these flashes?

each time you change the base map -- that counts as a 'flash'.. a base map reflash takes about 20 minutes to do.

a real time map does not use up your flashes. Switching real time maps takes only a few seconds.

they say 100 flashes-- however that is a very conservative estimate. STill though, 100 flashes should be way more than any normal person ever needs to use.

I'm just about finishing up my break-in period. I noticed that my AP still had the older version of the map on it, so I was wondering if there's anything reason why I shouldn't just go ahead and update it to the v1.10?

There is a thread on this update.

I noted -->some minor tweaks for smoothness, and rev limited raised to 7000rpm

Additional maps(economy map)

Thanks for your posting. The graph looks real good. I can see where the car might feel transformed.

Would there be a performance penalty if the real time map used is Stg 1 while leaving the base map stock? I'm just trying to simplyfy things if it's gotta see the dealer, but I don't want a performance penalty if I can easily avoid it.

Ed_T

if you really want to take full advantage of the AP, i would suggest using the same base map you would normally want to drive at.

eg: use stage1 93 octane as your base map, and then switch to a stock realtime map if you need to, or just flash back to stock if you need to.

Dont worry about using up your flashes -- the car can handle more than 100 flashes easily, and even at 100 -- that will last you much longer than the life of the car under any kind of normal flashing routine.

here is my dyno running Stage1 93 octane on the version 1.01 map = the red and green lines represent stage1 base map.

the blue lines reprsent stage1 base map - stock real time map.

I was told by MachVdan (who's dyno i was on) - that the real time stock numbers were almost identical to what other stock legacies put down. - so it's a good indication of a truely stock legacy.

Just flashed my car with the Stage 1 91 v1.10 last night. What a difference it has made already. Can't wait for the full learning process to complete. :)

This is probably the best $645 I will spend on this car.

Could you post some specifics once you run up some mileage, I am interested. Thx!

Thanks for your posting. The graph looks real good. I can see where the car might feel transformed.

Would there be a performance penalty if the real time map used is Stg 1 while leaving the base map stock? I'm just trying to simplyfy things if it's gotta see the dealer, but I don't want a performance penalty if I can easily avoid it.

I've done everything from reading the threads on this forum, as well as calling up Cobb themselves ask them about this same question. They've all come back and said its best to use the Stg1 as your base map because there's settings changes within the base map that could not be produced by the real time maps. I don't recall which settings though. :o

Things I've noticed immediately are:

1. Way better Idel.. not more shakes at stop lights!

2. Much smoother acceleration between 1-2-3 gears, where as before the first thing I noticed about the Legacy when I got it was the unsmooth acceleration at 50%+ throttle.

3. More power to 4th and 5th. Even at 2K rpm in 4th, I speed up much smoother and faster w/o having to down shift to 3rd.

4. Throttle response was much improved too.

I have a neighbor that has the LGT wagon without about 20K on it, and we swap cars last night and both agreed that the initial difference was definitely noticable. He's probably going to order one today.

Just like everyone else with an AP already said.. This should have been they way our Car runs from the factory.

Trey@Cobb posted a direct reply to that question somewhere in the http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14804&page=9&pp=10 thread, starting with post 82. I don't remember which post it was that he commented on, so you'll have to page through.