LegacyGT.com

Using The Ebay/VAG-COM Cable To Datalog

qikslvr

fixed it I think. I just left the cable plugged in while I went to Windows Update online and it downloaded and installed the driver when i was doing a bunch of security packages....reboot the computer with cable plugged in and when I logged back in it automatically installed the drivers and I think it is in working order....havent had a chance to use it but i'm not unplugging it until I can heh (i'm able to get to properties like baud rate and such and I couldn't before)

odd...I even let it install the drivers FROM windows update through the hardware wizard and that wouldnt work. hope this is set..

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cool. Once it finally takes the driver; it usually sticks. It helps to plug the cable into the same USB Port every time too. That way the cable is assigned the same COM Port# everytime also. Good luck and let us know how it's going.
Let's kick this pig!

yeah how old is that laptop? old enough to not be USB2.0? if it was made before the year 2000 then it is very possible, if it is made during the year 2000 it is possible but not as likely....and if it is post 2000 it should be usb 2.0.

try reinstalling the driver?

Thanks

When I go into the com port settings, the top pull down bar is bits per second, and it's defaulted to 9600. I changed that setting to 4800 and it still didn't work (must be a coincident with the baud rate numbers?) That was after I clicked advanced and checked the baud rate, which like I said maxes at 4096.

Thanks

When I go into the com port settings, the top pull down bar is bits per second, and it's defaulted to 9600. I changed that setting to 4800 and it still didn't work (must be a coincident with the baud rate numbers?) That was after I clicked advanced and checked the baud rate, which like I said maxes at 4096.

Can you post a screenshot? I'm wondering where you're getting that UI.

ALT+PrintScreen should capture the window, then paste it in to mspaint and attach it to a post here. On use photobucket if you want.

It appears autonostics is sold out of this item (according to their site). This may be why some of you are having issues with receiving your cable? Well apparently this is a Hong Kong item, cause they're all over eBay. I found this guy selling them from the USA, states 2-5 days shipping from MA. I'm gonna give it a shot and order one. Heres the link if anyone's interested.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270294322167

http://photos.imageevent.com/mattg/legacygt/large/screen1.JPG

http://photos.imageevent.com/mattg/legacygt/large/screen2.JPG

2400 baud rate isn't an option. I set it to 2432 send and receive and it didn't work. well it worked when the ignition was on, but not after I start the car.

it should be coming up under "Ports (COM & LTP)" , not adjusting the settings under the Universal Serial Bus Controllers. Is that first picture (USB Serial Port (COM4) Properties) from under the USB Controllers?

try reinstalling the drivers, doesn't seem like they took properly. when you plug the cable in, go to Control Panel -> Add/Remove hardware and it should search for new devices. If nothing comes up, try uninstalling whatever new came up when the cable was installed.

Before that, you could also try opening the folder that you extracted the zip files with the drivers in to. There should be an i386.inf or something like that. Right click on it and hit install, see what happens....

That giant list that you have open in the second screen shot isn't baud rate, it looks like it's the packet size that USB transmissions are sliced into. A smaller value is probably good, like 500 or so. What's the smallest value it will let you choose?

The first screen shot shows a dialog box with "9600" in the "bits per second" field. That is the baud rate. Baud and bits per second are two words for the same thing (technically they're not necessarily identical, but the terms are used interchangeably). It probably doesn't matter what you set that to, since RomRaider / EcuFlash will decide what rate they want when the open the serial port, but go with 4800.