LegacyGT.com

Using The Ebay/VAG-COM Cable To Datalog

qikslvr

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I DK. It worked off and on...it would just shut down on me. I bit the bullet and bot the Tactirx. Never had an issue from there.

That is the exact symptom of the incorrect BAUD rate in the Com Port settings. It will connect and then be looking for the ECU and then connect, but won't lock in. The computer is trying to read data faster than the car's ECU can spit it out over the wire. When you slow the BAUD rate down to 4800 it will sync and lock in. After that this cable seems to work just as well as any other;).

Let's kick this pig!

That is the exact symptom of the incorrect BAUD rate in the Com Port settings. It will connect and then be looking for the ECU and then connect, but won't lock in. The computer is trying to read data faster than the car's ECU can spit it out over the wire. When you slow the BAUD rate down to 4800 it will sync and lock in. After that this cable seems to work just as well as any other;).

Nice to know this now!!!!:lol: The Tactrix cable was money well spent. Autonostics would not swap out the cable only refund my money...they said it typically is not a bad cable...go figure...

Rehab is for quitters.

NOOOO

one year off for this thing. my pins are all wrong.

anyone want to buy mine before i look into a return/refund?

if it's any consolation, I found the cable I need, 1 week and 20 bucks late :(

obedience to church and state is subjugation to the unjust authority of men

GRRRRR I got the cable and I'm trying to install the drivers but my computer is giving me shit. Every time it finds the driver file and I tell it to install (through the HW wizard) it goes through the install process and then says

"There was a problem installing this hardware:

An error occurred during the installation of this device

The system cannot find the file specified"

and I KNOW that the file is there, and it's even in the windows directory. This isn't cable specific, as I was having the same problem when I got my accessport but I was able to sorta get around it. the driver still isn't installed for the AP either I just made it work funny.

I know this isnt a computer tech forum but anyone have any insight? I checked and my WINDOWS folder (winxp) is marked as Read Only, and every time I uncheck read only it goes back to it after i hit "ok" ....can someone check the properties of their windows folder and tell me if it is checked as read only or not? damn this is annoying...

then do what after I remove it? I removed it and tried reinstalling the drivers and it didn't recognize the cable was plugged in. Unplugged/plugged back in and I'm getting the same problem. Every time it gets to the end of the driver install screen and fails and I click "Finish" it just sees the cable again and tries to install a driver again. Only to repeat the process over and over of installing and failing. WTF

NOOOO

one year off for this thing. my pins are all wrong.

anyone want to buy mine before i look into a return/refund?

if it's any consolation, I found the cable I need, 1 week and 20 bucks late :(

Is the cable you bought for an 05 lgt? I would pick it up from you locally if you're looking to get rid of it, pm me and let me know.

then do what after I remove it? I removed it and tried reinstalling the drivers and it didn't recognize the cable was plugged in. Unplugged/plugged back in and I'm getting the same problem. Every time it gets to the end of the driver install screen and fails and I click "Finish" it just sees the cable again and tries to install a driver again. Only to repeat the process over and over of installing and failing. WTF

Which driver are you using?

What is the name of the file it is trying to find when you browse for a driver and it errors out???

You should be able to download it, extract it and install it. Try plugging in the cable and then canceling out of the HW install wizard when it automatically pops up. After that go into device manager and find the errored out device and go to the properties for it. Select the drivers tab and click "update driver". Direct it to the folder that contains the extracted driver files and it should pick it right up.

If not, you might have the wrong cable or the wrong driver. If you chose to move the driver into the windows directory; you should have moved it to C:\windows\system32; or placed the driver in c:\windows\drivers in it's own folder so the install wiz can find it.

Let's kick this pig!

The WinXP driver. I even let Windows search Windows Update for a driver, and it finds one online (same version as the FTDI website) and does the same failure of install crap. I've tried doing the cancel and install from device manager but it gives me some issue of "Windows is in the process of removing this device, the driver cannot be installed until reboot" and I reboot and the process starts over and over again.

I'll give the cancel and device manager install another shot when I get home. I'm currently at work till 6am...

It's weird because this same EXACT issue happened with my AccessPort. I pointed the driver install to the CDROM, it acts like its installing and then fails. I was able to just leave the "install driver" window up and use the accessport with the manager, but with this problem it does not let me go in and change the BAUD rate of the cable which I need to do to get it to work.

You may need to disable a different USB device or COM Port in order to free up resources for the cable. I don't think it's the cable or the driver. I think it's something else on your laptop that is hogging resources. Check how many COM ports you have showing and also look under USB controllers and see which USB ROOT HUB the cable shows up on when you plug it in.

If all else fails; maybe I can e-mail you a version of the driver that has it's own install shield. That way you can install the driver before you plug the cable in.

Let's kick this pig!

+1

We can get it to work, but it going to take a lot of back and forth. A clean install of XP would help greatly. XP seems to have a hard time letting go of old stuff and making room for new stuff after a while.

Let's kick this pig!

yeah i'm gonna try your above suggestions, i'm also on another forum trying to get some help as well. if it's all still not working i determined last night that I was just gonna backup anything i want off here (not too much, just some music and docs) and re-do the XP install....problem is now I gotta find my XP reinstall cd for this thing....damn

or maybe i have the factory back up point? gotta look around

thanks for the help...i'll let you know how it turns out