LegacyGT.com

I hope the exhaust sounds good.

Guest *Jedimaster*

Guest *Jedimaster*
Not obnoxiously loud like my WRX, but deep and throaty. A little bass to the idle, etc. Otherwise, I'll be replacing those mufflers STAT!!

We will have to see how the new GT sounds, but it may be getting an equal-length manifold which will take away some of that boxer rumble. The dual mufflers are present to reduce the sound as much as possible while producing the best flow rates.

Due to my extensive experience with the smaller 2.0... You will be replacing the mufflers yesterday. (sort of like my deadlines). Most of the noise that you can hear comes from the intake - unless you are directly behind the car, it is hard to hear the exhaust. And when you are directly behind it, well, it sounds a bit like a Honda. Or many other 4-cylinders. I understand the reason for the changes, but I admit that I miss the beat. Cheers, Paul Hansen

Paul, or whoever else that might be able to answer this: Would it be possible to make the exhaust sound like this WRX ([url]http://www.hksusa.com/content/misc1759.wmv[/url]) with HKS' Hi-Power exhaust? I really like the deep, throaty sound that it produces.
-ben

We take pictures from that spot a lot... It's going to depend on the exhaust manifold setup. And if you switch to a single muffler from the twin. Otherwise, not a chance in hell. Bigger mufflers on the JDM GT's simply sound a bit louder, but in a higher pitched, raspier way. Like a typical inline 4, in other words. Cheers, Paul Hansen

[quote name='apexjapan']We take pictures from that spot a lot... It's going to depend on the exhaust manifold setup. And if you switch to a single muffler from the twin. Otherwise, not a chance in hell. Bigger mufflers on the JDM GT's simply sound a bit louder, but in a higher pitched, raspier way. Like a typical inline 4, in other words. Cheers, Paul Hansen[/quote] Cool thanks! Where in Japan is that location by the way?
-ben

The reason mfg and tuners try to go with equal-length headers when all possible is that it does help performance and efficiency. IIRC, in a properly designed equal-length header, after a cylinder fires, it helps pull gasses from the following cylinder with its pressure wave. This is known as scavenging. It helps pull a higher portion of the spent gasses out and increase efficiency and the amount of fresh air and fuel that is then injected for the next cycle. So despite a slight loss in sound, you can gain a bit of performance. That is probably part of the reason you also see nearly all aftermarket headers for Subaru turbos being equal-length. Now if we can make the tone a little deeper despite lacking a bit of the boxer rumble, I'd be happy as long as it doesn't drone on the highway. If only we could get it to sound like [url=http://movies.exvitermini.com/siderun.zip]THIS[/url].

Mostly from what I gather. An effect on turbocharged applications would be for it to produce a more even gas flow over the turbine for enhanced smooth low-end performance. I wouldn't switch if just for that sound.

It splits in the section of what would be the axle-back, the rear most section. That's correct on going single. You can do it, but i don't know if the weight savings would justify the increase in noise. You can push a good volume of exhast gases while having more sound supression capability.

Guest *Jedimaster*
Eventually, there'll be a cat back or maybe axle back bolt on- that's what I'll go for- not switching to single exhaust- I really like the look of the dual pipes.

From the pics on the link GaryS provided in the Countdown forum, it looks (to me) like it all goes in single to a large resonator about mid-body and then splits to two at the rear axle. From the size of the apparent (at least to me) resonator (if it is one), the exhaust should be pretty tame and "grown up". Wow, are there enough disclaimers in that statement?

Guest *Jedimaster*
I was looking at the borchure yesterday and thinking that step one would probably be to get a section of straight pipe welded in where that huge ass resonator is- before touching the mufflers, at least.

Guest *Jedimaster*
^agreed^ But while I wait for the aftermarket to get things rolling for the cat, it'll be lots of fun tinkering myself :)

Archived