LegacyGT.com

Coming Soon! Documented Install of the Homelink Sunvisor

HomeLink equipped Sunvisor for the 2005 Legacy (All)

Picked up the part today, will install tonight and document instructions and take pictures. All will posted later tonight.

Check last post! Install is complete!

OK, hit a slight snag...

The Homelink equipped sunvisor comes standard in the '05 Outback VDC Limited. After researching and comparing the wiring diagrams between the two cars I determined that the wiring was the same (as per the Service Manuals for each car) and ordered the part. The part is the same color as the Legacy GT and the exact same diminsions and lighted vanity mirror. The only noticable difference is the three button Homelink controller on it. It is P/N: 92011AG52AOR and retails around $210.

http://www.subaruchallenge.com/Wills/05/Front.JPG

Upon taking my sunvisor off tonight I found that the harness to the OEM sunvisor is a two-wire harness...this is a slight problem because the Homelink sunvisor has a three-wire harness and they both have different style plugs.

http://www.subaruchallenge.com/Wills/05/Back.JPG

The OEM sunvisor has two wires; one red, one black. The Homelink visor has three-wires; one red, one black and one orange so two out of the three are the same, now I just need to figure out what the orange wire is. I assume it's powered with the ignition off since the red is powered only when the ignition is on. If that's the case I can run a constant power wire to it without a problem. But I need to find out for sure before I start splicing things! :D

I'm going to call the Subaru Tech Line tomorrow and see if they can help me out. I "might" be able to buy roof harness from the Outback VDC Limited and just swap it out...but I'm not sure.

I'm going to take a wild guess and say the orange is the antenna.. I'd hook up the red and black and see what happens (well really I'd take it apart to make sure they go to the mirror light first)

Actually from Google'ing around it seems that Homelink requires a constant 12v to work correctly (even the Legacy manual says that cars equipped with Homelink can be programmed without having the key in the "on" position). The antennae is contained in the unit and is very small.

Hopefully S.O.A.'s Tech line can tell me what I should be getting to each wire (12v Ignition, 12v Constant & Ground I'll bet). If that's the case it will be a very straightforward install as I can use the plug off the old visor for the 12v Ignition & ground and then run a wire to the 12v Constant at the map lights for the Homelink! :D

Don't we have a 2005??? Why is this coming out now? I want a refund???

It's always been availible...but only on the 2005 Outback VDC Limited, I'm working on the retrofit instructions for us. :D

Just curious, not flaming your choice at all and appreciating your willingness to share install info, but...

Why put this in instead of the mirror with autodim/compass/HomeLink? I installed the mirror in about 15 mins.

Anyway, thanks again for the info share.

Normal Visor is P/N: 92011AG50AOR Retails around $65.00

I actually purchased the Homelink Compass Mirror originally but thought it was more bulky than the standard Compass Mirror I already had and care for the compass display that blocked a portion of the mirror surface. IMHO I think this way looks better.

Since seeing the Homelink visor in the Tribeca, I expected that it might be added to the Legacy in 06. I had no idea that it was available in the VDC. I was very interested in getting the Homelink mirror, but this would be a much more elegant solution if its as 'easy' as a roof wiring harness and the visor. Anybody want to do a little digging and find out wholesale and dealer cost on that part number.

Got a suggestion for the Constant power - The plug for the Homelink mirror I imagine has those three wires, switched, constant and ground, and it is sitting just in front of the map light housing. It may be easiest just to run the constant from that plug across the liner to the visor plug.

Of course being able to replace the wiring harness so everything mates up perfectly would be much cleaner. Makes you wonder why they didn't go ahead and save money by designing one harness and connector that provided all three lines, and just leaving the pin out of the visor connector where it wasn't needed if equipped with the non-homelink visor.

Further off topic, I'd really like to see a HomeLink button integrated on the keyfob. I have a gated parking lot that still needs my clicker to get in through the pedestrian gate, not just the vehicle gates. Imagine being able to get rid of one more thing on the keychain - bliss!

Since seeing the Homelink visor in the Tribeca, I expected that it might be added to the Legacy in 06. I had no idea that it was available in the VDC. I was very interested in getting the Homelink mirror, but this would be a much more elegant solution if its as 'easy' as a roof wiring harness and the visor. Anybody want to do a little digging and find out wholesale and dealer cost on that part number.

Got a suggestion for the Constant power - The plug for the Homelink mirror I imagine has those three wires, switched, constant and ground, and it is sitting just in front of the map light housing. It may be easiest just to run the constant from that plug across the liner to the visor plug.

Of course being able to replace the wiring harness so everything mates up perfectly would be much cleaner. Makes you wonder why they didn't go ahead and save money by designing one harness and connector that provided all three lines, and just leaving the pin out of the visor connector where it wasn't needed if equipped with the non-homelink visor.

Further off topic, I'd really like to see a HomeLink button integrated on the keyfob. I have a gated parking lot that still needs my clicker to get in through the pedestrian gate, not just the vehicle gates. Imagine being able to get rid of one more thing on the keychain - bliss!

The '05 Outback VDC Limited Roof Harness is P/N: 81801AG25A and retails for around $45.00 the only question would be are any of the other harness connections different where it would cause a problem (i.e. sunroof, map lights, dome lights, etc). Plus the fact that installing the harness would be a major PITA (It connects to the main harness under the dash on the pass. side then goes up the right side A pillar...).

I think the best/simpler solution would be to swap the plug off the OEM visor to the Homelink visor and then extend the orange wire to tap in to the Mirror harness like you suggested, I'm going to try that this evening after some checking with the multimeter to verify voltages etc.

OK started tracking down some of the wiring today...

OEM SunVisor:

Yellow Harness Wire = 12v Switched Ignition (goes to Black wire on visor)

Black Harness Wire = Ground (goes to Red wire on visor)

Compass Mirror:

Blue Wire = 12v Switched Ignition

Black Wire = Ground

Green Wire = Unknown, no voltage, not a ground.

I think we got an Outback VDC Limited in at work today, If so I'll test it's visor wiring tomorrow.

If a 12v Constant is needed it can be found at the Map Light harness, Green Wire.

If you get this done and it's pretty easy.......I'll def look into it......I want one or the other.

Kenzo, so the install for the mirror was easy? Just plug and play, instructions easy to follow?

Yep, pretty easy. You do have to remove a couple parts in the map light area to get to the appropriate wiring harness, but the instructions were fine.

Doesn't it loose it's programming when you turn off the ignition?

Nope, the programming is coded on an EPROM in the HomeLink unit! :D

But the HomeLink Buttons only work if the ignition is on. If you wanted the HomeLink buttons to work all the time (ignition on or off) you would just run the black wire from the visor to a constant 12v and still connect the visor red to the harness red, and the visor orange to the harness black.

Archived