LegacyGT.com

Can’t decide… Just looking for some expert advice.

Hockey Coach

After spending hours on the net searching for all the information I could find on the Pirelli PZero Nero M&S and the Toyo Proxes 4 I still can not make a decision. I need some help. I was wondering if some of you out there could give me your opinions on which tire you would pick.

Let me preface this by saying that the cost is not an issue. What I’m looking for is a great all season tire that my wife can feel safe with on her three mile trip to work in the morning but is also a tire that will allow me to do some spirited driving on the weekends.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Coach from Connecticut

Hi Coach. I am planning to go with the Pirellis on my car in 18" because I was able to find the tires and information about the more easily. Having access to service facilities that carry the tires I use weighs heavily in my decision making process. From what I have heard, the tires are basically similar and will perform as such with a few differences between them. Conditions and a persons driving habits are the variables, but I don't believe you could go wrong either way IMO. Good luck.
:orly:YA RLY!!! Home of +2500 useless posts!!!!

I have the Proxes 4's on 18's. Dry performance is very good. Obviously not as good as a dedicated "Summer performance tire", but this what you sacrafice in a all-season. It grips the road very well. In terms of wet performance, I was very surprised on how good they were. Compared to my BFgoodrich KDW-2's (which is awesome in the wet), the proxes 4's delivered evey bit of confidence the KDW's do.

On a side note the Toyo TS-1's would give you a bit more performance and sacrafice next to nothing in the rain as well. :)

OBAMA......One Big Ass Mistake America!

Falken Ziex ZE-512 is another option. My mom has them on her RS as well as a friend used to have them on her RS also and both like them quite a bit. It's a fairly inexpensive tire, probably best bang for the buck of the 3.

I run the Proxes 4's and they're a great rain tire, hold the road when spirited driving, get me where I need to be when slick out but don't drive more than I have to when slick anyhow.

I might try the Falkens next time myself for comparison sake. Ah, heck, I'm trying to burn up these Toyos so I can try something new. My rule: I never like to keep tires longer than a year anyhow. :lol:

Whichever one is cheaper. I don't think you can lose with either one, although the Pirelli's seem to do better in snow. (I've done ok with the Proxes 4s in the snow- but they are not snow tires!)

I was in the same situation, couldn't decide either. Went with the Toyos because I've never had them before and wanted to try something new. They look cooler too. ;) They do very well in the rain. About the same as the RE-92s when it's dry out. Maybe better.

tom

tom :)

With the help of all of you and reading some of the other member's posts and doing a lot more research, I’ve decided to go with the Toyo Proxes 4's.

Now, one more question. Should I stick with the stock 215/45-17's or go with 225/45-17's?

The difference in speed would be less then 1 MPH at 60. The speedo would be showing 59.1 when I would be actually doing 60 MPH.

Thanks for your input,

Coach

Coach... LOL!

I've come to the same conclusion -- Toyos. :)

And LOL #2, I *was* having the same debate about size too. And because all the Pirelli Nero M&S's are sold out in 225, I'm going with the Toyos (not to mention cost).

But I think I'm going to stick to 215s. The 225s would have a little more sidewall to absorb nasty streets and potholes, but that's the good thing about the Toyos... they have reinforced sidewalls.

So if you look at the load ratings for those two sizes, the usual "SL" or standard load rating on a 215/45/17 is 87, and the 225 is rated at 90.

Well with the reinforced sidewalls, the load rating on the 215 Proxes 4 is 91, and the 225 is 94.

For more info on load ratings: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/general/speed.jsp

So I'm going to opt for 215 Proxes 4 to stretch the sidewalls a bit more on the stock 7-inch wheels, and I'll still get a slightly higher load rating than I would with 225 Pirellis (oh, and I'm getting a wagon, so I might actually pile enough stuff in there to reap the benefits of the reinforced sidewalls). What that should mean is a little better steering response.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it. ;)

(PS -- Since you're a hockey coach, my son just turned 3 a month ago and he's skating really well. My wife teaches figure skating, so he's got great instruction, but he really likes it. I could see him in hockey in a year or two. When do most kids start?)

Thanks for your input dave. It looks like I'll be going with the 215's also. I'm going to have them installed this afternoon.

As for your son playing Hockey, back when my daughter was born a long time ago, she'll be 26 in May; I had asked the figure skating pro at the local rink where I was teaching at the time, when I should start instructing my daughter. She said, "If she can walk she can skate!" I truly believe this. I have been an USA Hockey certified Instructor for 31 years and the earlier you start your child skating properly the better he or she will be and the more confident they will become on skates. Being that your wife is a skating instructor that shouldn't be a problem. Skating is the most important part of Hockey. If you can't skate you can't play. The better skater you are the easier it is to play the game.

Good luck with your son,

Coach

• 3 weeks later...

There is no such thing as all season tire. I bought my first pair of snow tires last year and mad a world of difference.

Spend the extra and get winter and summer tires. You will be glad you did. Best money I ever spent.

• 2 weeks later...

Another question -- do winter tires wear extremely fast in dry conditions? Where I live we go from dry for several days to snow for several days over and over through the winter. If I slap on a set of winters, I'll likely be driving fairly "spirited" on dry pavement every other week or so.

Thanks all.

I try to drive very "spirited" al the time. We have warm periods were the roads are dry. Highways are usually always dry.

One winter season of winter wear the guy that changed my tires said they look brand new. Snow tires will wear a little faster than summer tires, however since you are just going to use them for the winter, you will still get many seasons out of them.

Archived