LegacyGT.com

Dear Diary....

NSFW

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You can find big ass cutting boards made from that stuff at IKEA

Oh and a penney saved is a penny earned

You sure it's HDPE? Plus, I need tubes anyway.

http://www.cardboardtech.com/gallery/download/2729-2/CRW_4114.jpg

The HDPE came from http://www.tapplastics.com/ - they even did most of the cutting, except for a couple of small angled bits that I cut at Kraziken's place (the pieces underneath that the thumbscrews go into).

I know they carry tubes of some kind of plastic but I'm not sure if it's HDPE. Might be acrylic. Call 'em and ask...

ok Early start! I will be at costco in woodinville at 8 for those that want to meet me there. Nsfw, will meet you at citkas at 8:30. For anybody that wants to come later, pm me for address. just north of costco woodinville a few miles. pretty easy to find.

SWEET!!! Got the Whiteline Roll Center kit ordered for install when I do the LCAs... Should be good to go by the 25th.

Also, got an appt. for alignment @ Firestone in Ballard...$99 for life!

Anyone know where I can find AVO's LCA bushings in stock?

Harman finally got back to me to tell me they're out of stock for two weeks... I'm guessing there's no way they'll get out here in time.

I have shocks and springs and endlinks ready to go, but the LCA swap is looking doubtful.

Rallitek and FredBeans are also out of stock. Paul says he might have some in stock in time, so I'm going to check with him next week.

For future reference, if Harman's web site says something is not out of stock, that does not necessarily mean that it is in stock. :) They do have the Whiteline roll center kit, so I'm having that shipped out, it should be here in time with no problem.

Unrelated:

I want to do this:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1462667

I won't have the parts in time for the suspension party, but maybe later this summer, probably as part of the turbo swap.

Looks like it should make the 3" inlet installation much easier. Plus it will give me some spiffy stainless lines under the hood, and I can (I think) re-route the lines that are currently bent by the FMIC return pipe.

• 2 weeks later...

April 25, 2009:

* H-Tech front springs, Pink rears [1]

* Tokico struts&shocks

* AVO rear sway mounts

* 4Box rear lateral links

Still on the to-do list:

* Whiteline roll center kit (got 'em)

* AVO control arm bushings (getting 'em)

* Maybe sway bars (got 'em)

I'll post pics of the car when the springs have had time to settle.

The front looks a tad high, but I'm pretty sure it'll go down a bit.

[1] I know what you're thinking, but the Pink fronts and H-Tech fronts have the same spring rate, the H-Tech should just sit a tad lower.

FrontUpgradeSm.jpg.655b9cffd33f6aa82a2d336911bd3185.jpg

RearUpgradesSm.jpg.345bac0415d07d5ddd64fa6de3a7b1d6.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

The H-Tech fronts sit a little higher than I expected.. I'm actually starting to wonder if I should have stuck with Pinks all around. However we also installed conical washers between the top hats and strut bearings, which I later found out are only needed with USDM-style struts/hats/bearings. IIRC those add about 3/16 or maybe 1/4 inch, so I will pull those out before I make up my mind.

Also, some information about air/oil separators that I'm going to post here for future reference since I have an Ixiz AOSep waiting in a box...

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1594337

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1769702

• 1 month later...

With my wacky-AFR issue figured out, I'm no longer compelled to go blow-through, which means I can move on to the turbo upgrade.

In the same operation, I'm going to re-do the fuel lines, mostly just to make the turbo's 3" inlet easier to install. And, also to ease installation of the 3" inlet, I'm going to install 8mm manifold spacers. TGV deletes are also sitting here waiting to go in (thanks AKLGT).

The shopping list so far...

Manifold stuff:

8mm spacers

TGV gaskets

manifold gaskets

Fuel line stuff:

two y-blocks

six fittings for said blocks

10 feet of fuel injection hose (will buy locally)

a couple dozen clamps (will buy locally)

TBD: what fittings to interface with the factory fuel lines near the firewall?

Turbo stuff:

ATP 3076 (retailer TBD, talking with one now...)

Perrin 3" inlet

And the last big puzzle, how to mate the turbo's 2" old-WRX-style compressor outlet with the charge pipe on the AVO FMIC? I'm thinking...

2" hump connector on compressor outlet

2" 180* aluminum tube

2"-to-2.75" silicone adapter

2.75" 45* aluminum tube

2.75" straight silicone connector

or...

2" hump connector on compressor outlet

2" 180* aluminum tube

2" hump connector

2"-to-2.75" aluminum adapter

2.75" 45* silicone joint

2.75" aluminum straight pipe

2.75" straight silicone connector

Air intake:

3" filter (to sit near where the AEM CAI filter is now)

3" MAF housing

3" 90* silicone elbow

3" straight tube, connecting to the 3" turbo inlet.

or...

3" filter (to sit near where the AEM CAI filter is now)

3" MAF housing

3" straight silicone coupler

3" 45* aluminum tube

Need to stare at my car some more and figure this shit out.

First, what is a TGV:

Inside the TGV housing there's a splitter that separates the throat into two throats, one is about 3/4 of the total cross-section, the other is the remaining 1/4. In the big section, there's a butterfly valve. When the butterfly is closed, 100% of the airflow is forced to go through the smaller throat. The fuel injector sprays right at the bottom of the smaller throat. The valve is closed when you start the car, so the injector sprays into higher-velocity, more-turbulent air (as compared to spraying into a throat with 100% of the normal cross-section). This gives better atomization and therefore reduced emissions. On my car, the valve stays closed until I touch the throttle - basically, it opens as I back the car out of the garage in the morning - and it stays open until the engine stops. I've read that on more recent models the valve stays closed longer, like maybe until the coolant temperature comes up, or something like that, but I have no details.

Deleting the TGV does two things:

1) Inside the TGV housing, it removes the divider and the butterfly valve, thus gaining you approximately 2.3% more cross-section, for moar horsepowah. I pulled that number out of my ass.

2) Outside the TGV housing, it removes the TGV motor and sensor. Some people claim that you can install a turbo with a 3" inlet without removing those, but these people coincidentally sell turbos with 3" inlets. Everyone else says if you're going to install a turbo with a 3" inlet, you need the TGV bits out of the way.

It's #2 that prompted to me to delete.

These pics are from Grimmspeed, you can see the divider and the butterfly in the closed position.

http://www.grimmspeed.com/images/product_images/tgv_vs_stock_600_1.jpg

http://www.grimmspeed.com/images/product_images/tgv_vs_stock_600_3.jpg

You can see where the injector sprays. Apparently the small side is actually a lot less than 25% with the valve closed.

Source:

http://www.rs25.com/forums/f14/t74445-grimmspeed-tgv-deletes-we-have-cores-stock-no-downtime.html

Archived