LegacyGT.com

GT Spec unequal length headers w/ uppipe - worth it?

I'm going to be purchasing and installing for my 08 LGT an UEL GT Spec header that comes with an uppipe. After doing much more research, I'm wondering if the gains make the value worth the effort here.

I'm not sure if there is flex in the uppipe or not, I've heard so many conflicting stories about the headers and uppipes for the OEM / stock 08 LGT. Mostly that the factory OEM headers and uppipe are near perfect in design as you are going to get pre-turbo exhaust.

First and foremost, I'm wondering who has done the GT Spec headers on their vehicle, and did it make any noticible diference? I figured as long as I'm going to do a turbo-back exhaust, I might as well do the headers and uppipe as well. Is there value in changing the headers and uppipe to GT Spec?

Second, are there any problems with the GT Spec line for the 08 LGT? I've also read about exhaust leaks on non flex uppipes. I believe that the GT Spec has an integrated uppipe. Is this a bad thing?

-

Any info would be much appreciated here. I'm about to drop some hard earned cash and would like one last look-around before I dive in.

Thanks!

if you want to sound like a honda then go for it. the gt-spec is the same as gruppe-s maddad etc. PnP your stockers for now

Huh ?

The GT Spec headers are unequal, which means they retain the boxer rumble, it's equal length headers that make you sound like a Honda :lol:

They are very nice pieces, and the 3 bolt up pipe is great, but is only really going to net you results after you've exhausted everything else.

The ONLY thing I wasn't planning to change was the Turbo or TMIC. I was planning on doing headers (I was going to skip the TGV deletes this time around) and go for a complete turbo back change (invidia hi-flow cat DP, cobb CBE). I would have wagered that the headers would have been a step up.

I was going to go Unequal Length to keep the boxer sound... is this inaccurate?

- a side note: I'm planning on sinking up to 8000 in mods into this car while it's still under 10,000 miles.

After doing headers/up and TBE, my next step was a larger turbo / FMIC then brakes and then followed by suspension.

Hoping to reach a target of 325+ to 350 when I'm done.

I'm recently divorced, still single, living comfortably and have a large 2 car garrage to sprawl out in. And a fridge full of cold beer. I just don't want to waste money. I'm not looking for just cheap bolt-on nickle and dime stuff. I'm going for a real sleeper upgrade that, when finished, will really impress. I'm not going to race it or rally, but I want the power and performance.

The ONLY thing I wasn't planning to change was the Turbo or TMIC. I was planning on doing headers (I was going to skip the TGV deletes this time around) and go for a complete turbo back change (invidia hi-flow cat DP, cobb CBE). I would have wagered that the headers would have been a step up.

I was going to go Unequal Length to keep the boxer sound... is this inaccurate?

I would personally do headers before a TMIC (but that might depend more on where you live and how hot it usually is).

Search, headers do provide a performance bump, even on stock turbo'd cars. Headers do have their issues though, they don't all last as long as the OEM manifold, although the GT-spec are pretty good.

Unequal Length Headers will retain the boxer rumble. ELH (Equal length ones) don't sound like a honda, but they do sound different. Plenty of clips on NASIOC to listen to.

The thing is ELH from what I have seen make comparable top-end power to UnEqual, but have better spool. One reason they spool better is because there is less piping in an UELH, kinda like the stock manifolds.

The easiest way to waste money is to start modding before you really get an understanding of what those mods will do for your car. Biggest bang for your buck is going to come from a downpipe and a tune.

Catback is pretty much a waste of money unless you want it loud or have a much bigger turbo.

You'll get way more benefit from taking the money you'd piss away on headers and a catback and applying to coilovers or bilsteins and pinks. Add some sways and better brake pads and you'll have a much better car than leaving the stock suspension and adding headers and a catback.

Just my opinion, take it for what its worth.

The easiest way to waste money is to start modding before you really get an understanding of what those mods will do for your car. Biggest bang for your buck is going to come from a downpipe and a tune.

Catback is pretty much a waste of money unless you want it loud or have a much bigger turbo.

You'll get way more benefit from taking the money you'd piss away on headers and a catback and applying to coilovers or bilsteins and pinks. Add some sways and better brake pads and you'll have a much better car than leaving the stock suspension and adding headers and a catback.

Just my opinion, take it for what its worth.

I like headers, but I have to agree with this.

The ONLY thing I wasn't planning to change was the Turbo or TMIC....Hoping to reach a target of 325+ to 350 when I'm done.

Is that 325 to 350 whp on the stock turbo? Better re-evaluate that goal on the stock turbo regardless of other mods. Don't think you are going to get there even with meth.

If I had all this to do over (and your $8K :lol:) I'd be all over a GT30R and supporting mods.

After doing headers/up and TBE, my next step was a larger turbo / FMIC then brakes and then followed by suspension.

IMHO, brakes and suspension should come before anything. It is counter intuitive to have a bigger turbo with stock brakes and stock suspension.

Thats just my $0.02 :)

As for the headers, if you plan on a turbo upgrade, then you should see some nice gains, otherwise, its not worth it to spend that kind of money on a VF46 setup. As others have stated, a downpipe and tune will be the best bang for your buck with a stock turbo.

- a side note: I'm planning on sinking up to 8000 in mods into this car while it's still under 10,000 miles.

I'm recently divorced, still single, living comfortably and have a large 2 car garrage to sprawl out in. And a fridge full of cold beer.

Can you PM me your secret? :lol::lol: :lol:

OBAMA......One Big Ass Mistake America!

I hidsaved a nice nest egg during my divorce. I'm renting a house for 650 a month in backwoods PA... I work 15 minutes from work. The house has a nice, uncracked... flat... and level... 2 car garrage that I moved all my tools into.

As I posted before... I was planning on doing headers, uppipe, downpipe, catback, intake and access port first round.

Second round is turbo, FMIC, meth and any other changes that have to go with it.

Third go-around is brakes / suspension... or if financially easier to buy at the same time, then will do this at the same time or close to the 2nd round.

Back to my original point... the more I read up on changing headers in the LGT, regardless of engine potential, is ultimately people end up bolting back on the stocks, because for whatever reason, the engineers at Subaru had a clue and designed a near flawless pre-turbo exhaust system with the stock 2008 LGT uppipe being catless and all.

I guess what I'm trying to get at, is it worth the (ballpark) 600ish bucks for a GT-Spec Unequal length header with integrated uppipe on it? Or is it just looks or 600 that could go into aluminum links and braces for the suspension, or towards a FMIC?

And by 'worth it' I mean, noticible in the long run? Necessary in the long run? Quality of craftsmanship? Again... I am leaning in favor here of performance and power... cost is secondary but I don't want to waste money either.

Thanks to all that have replied so far. I value the information.

The stock suspension is terrible even with stock power.

325+whp is awesome, but what's the point if you can't corner or stop the car.

F&R sways, decent strut/springs/coilovers, and stg 1 braking (better pads, SS lines, better fluid) are a must before going stg 2 power. Just my opinion.

I guess what I'm trying to get at, is it worth the (ballpark) 600ish bucks for a GT-Spec Unequal length header with integrated uppipe on it? Or is it just looks or 600 that could go into aluminum links and braces for the suspension, or towards a FMIC?

And by 'worth it' I mean, noticible in the long run? Necessary in the long run? Quality of craftsmanship? Again... I am leaning in favor here of performance and power... cost is secondary but I don't want to waste money either.

Thanks to all that have replied so far. I value the information.

Headers and long run are an oxymoron. People put their stock manifold back on because it is cast iron and can withstand a beating. You may get 10HP, but your downside is longevity. If hitting 335hp vs. 325hp is important to you, then by all means go for it. Just don't expect them to last 5yrs on the car. 2-3yrs if your lucky, or you could be unlucky like me (But my car just seems to blow exhaust shit up). :lol:

OBAMA......One Big Ass Mistake America!

My headers are 3 years old, and still going strong.:mad: I wish they would blow up soon as I want to get EL headers.;)

Good headers seem to be getting more common, but the real good ones, as in the ones that will last the life of the car, cost over 2g.

Huh ?

The GT Spec headers are unequal, which means they retain the boxer rumble, it's equal length headers that make you sound like a Honda :lol:

They are very nice pieces, and the 3 bolt up pipe is great, but is only really going to net you results after you've exhausted everything else.

i have the header and it sounds like a honda. the sound is horrible

Archived