LegacyGT.com

2005 outback XT questions

This is my first post to the group, and i must say, it looks like legacygt.com will become a valued resource as i break in my new car. A little bit on my vehicle-

It has 2500 miles, and the mileage has improved from 16.5 to 20 in that period. I was a little concerned that i had bought a gas hog. The stock tires were terrible, i sold them at a thousand miles with the stock 17 inch rims, put on some aftermarkets and got a set of all seasons. It improved the handling considerably. I then took it down to big o tires, and had them run a line up on it, because it was so jumpy on the road. all 4 corners were seriously out of camber. it handles like a race car now. The big o tires manager has an sti, and had the same problem. Now the rear end doesnt fishtail in hard turns. Now for some questions to the user group. 1- does anyone know how to remove the front door panels so can put in aftermarket speakers? I got all the periphery plastic plugs undone, and couldnt figure out how to unbolt the center of the panel behind the door handle. 2- how do i defeat the annoying seatbelt buzzer? I pulled the front seats out, and messed around with the wiring for a couple hours before i gave up. 3- is anyone having an occassional stink in the car when the heater is running? 4- around 45 and 70 miles an hour, i hear a whistle, and cannot for the life of me figure out where its coming from. My nieghbor has reported the same thing on her non-turbo basic model.

welcome to the boards and congrats on the outback. I have the same color xt as you do. I love it....especially during this blizzard that we're getting in the northeast.

1- does anyone know how to remove the front door panels so can put in aftermarket speakers? I got all the periphery plastic plugs undone, and couldnt figure out how to unbolt the center of the panel behind the door handle.

Sorry, I can't help you here.

2- how do i defeat the annoying seatbelt buzzer? I pulled the front seats out, and messed around with the wiring for a couple hours before i gave up.

This was answered by rclark and it works...although when you disconnect your battery or the temperature gets really cold, it resets and the annoying chime comes back.

3- is anyone having an occassional stink in the car when the heater is running?

Never encountered any malodors in the 5000 miles that we've owned the car. Maybe clean out some nasty leaves and stuff around the base of the front windshield?

4- around 45 and 70 miles an hour, i hear a whistle, and cannot for the life of me figure out where its coming from.

I've never noticed a whistle, but then again, I never cruise in that speed range. In the Boston area, it's either you're stuck in traffic, or I'm flying at around 85-90. Do you have aftermarket roof cross bars? I know that the yakima round ones make a whistling noise at highway speeds. Also I think someone has mentioned that the side mirrors weren't designed properly so it can cause some whistling but I'm not positive on this.

My gas mileage is also around 18-20 with mixed city/highway so I think your mileage is just about right.

I want to thank everyone for the quick and thorough response to my questions. Ive downloaded the subaru manual from subaru via pdf for 20 bucks, turned off my seatbeat chime, and now have the how to on taking my doors apart. Ill be using a directional microphone to check and see if indeed my mirrors are whistling due to a manufacturer goof and keep the list posted. (ill put it in technical under a new post) Love the car, and will be ordering a matched set of front and rear sway bars next week to keep the rear end in check. thanks for all the help! Matt

Archived