LegacyGT.com

help with learning viewer please?

DrewLGT

a while back i tried to use the learning viewer with no luck. i was getting two error messages. one was about not being able to connect, and said to make sure the tactrix cable was connected. the other said the program had incurred an unexpected error and would terminate, something about the initialization string. i assumed at the time that it wouldnt work with my v1 AP cable so i gave up.

I read somewhere here last night that it should work with my cable so i went and tried again. i clicked the connect button probably 50 times with the same results as the first time i tried.

when i use the cable with enginuity for logging it always takes a few minutes to connect. am i doing something wrong? i'd really like to get the learning viewer working...

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I use Learning View with my AP cable. I've not tried it with my Tactrix yet though I am sure it will be ok.

I had to install .net 2.0 before Learning View would work. But I imagine you know about that...

My USB Comm ports change occasionally so I always bring up my Device Manager to determine which comm port to chose in programs, like Learning View. I picked the wrong one first time I ran LV today and it did what you said, then I loaded LV again and chose the correct comm port and all was OK. You might want to check that avenue.

I use Learning View with my AP cable. I've not tried it with my Tactrix yet though I am sure it will be ok.

I had to install .net 2.0 before Learning View would work. But I imagine you know about that...

My USB Comm ports change occasionally so I always bring up my Device Manager to determine which comm port to chose in programs, like Learning View. I picked the wrong one first time I ran LV today and it did what you said, then I loaded LV again and chose the correct comm port and all was OK. You might want to check that avenue.

i always check which comm port i need to be using. :confused::confused:

Try downloading the latest version of Learning View (0.3a).

With the first error message, make sure the ignition is turned to on, the cable is connected and the correct com port is selected.

If you still get the second error message, then I need to know exactly what it says.

Try downloading the latest version of Learning View (0.3a).

With the first error message, make sure the ignition is turned to on, the cable is connected and the correct com port is selected.

If you still get the second error message, then I need to know exactly what it says.

that's the version I'm using. i tried with the ignition in the on position, and with the car actually running. I'll try again today any get the exact error.

I had both problems:

1) couldn't connect: I had to turn completely close out of learning view, plug in my tactrix cable, start the car, and then open learning view.

2) couldn't initialize: You need to download Microsoft .Net Framework 2.0 (http://tinyurl.com/758p8)

Good luck!

enough zip ties and duct tape will fix anything.

I had both problems:

1) couldn't connect: I had to turn completely close out of learning view, plug in my tactrix cable, start the car, and then open learning view.

2) couldn't initialize: You need to download Microsoft .Net Framework 2.0 (http://tinyurl.com/758p8)

Good luck!

You don't have to start the car to use learning view - just turn the ignition to on. If the tactrix cable is not plugged in when you start learning view, the com port won't show up in the list, but all you need to do is plug it in and then hit the refresh icon to the left of the port list.

I had both problems:

Good luck!

It doesn't say that it CANT initialize, it says it encountered an unexpected initialization string (or something along those lines) and needs to close. Then it does just that, closes.

Does this error happen right when you open Learning View or when you click a button?

It usually gives me the cannot connect error a couple times when I click the connect button. Then I'll click it again and get the other message and the program shuts down.

If you haven't tried already, I'd connect the cable and have the key on prior to launching LV on your laptop. Have everything set up and on, then launch LV, then connect.

That isn't necessary as LV does not access the com port until you hit connect except to determine the available ports (which you can also do by hitting the refresh icon).

Until I see the actual error message, there's not much that can be done here.

That's odd. There might be something screwy with the defs for your particular ecu. Do this:

1. In windows, go to Start -> Run -> Browse

2. Find the learning view app and click open

3. Outside the parentheses, add a space and then /logfile

for example,

"C:\Learning View 0.3a.exe" /logfile

4. Hit OK. Learning View will run. Try connecting to the ECU. A log.txt file will be generated in the same directory as the LV. PM that file to me at the romraider site.

That's odd. There might be something screwy with the defs for your particular ecu. Do this:

1. In windows, go to Start -> Run -> Browse

2. Find the learning view app and click open

3. Outside the parentheses, add a space and then /logfile

for example,

"C:Learning View 0.3a.exe" /logfile

4. Hit OK. Learning View will run. Try connecting to the ECU. A log.txt file will be generated in the same directory as the LV. PM that file to me at the romraider site.

i'll get that to you as soon as i can. thanks for the help

• 3 weeks later...
Sorry for bumping this thread but I'm trying to understand what is good vs what is bad when analyzing a learn viewer file. Is it a good thing if my A/F learning 1 has some negative or positive numbers? Could someone explain the FLKC table on the program?..All I know is that negative values greater than 1 are not good. thx again all.
"Gimme mines Balboa...Gimme mines".....Clubber Lang - Mr. T

If the AF learning values are all close to zero that's good. If not, that's something to work on. There's no harm working on them to get them all down to zero but they wander a bit under normal conditions so even if you get them to all zeroes one day they will probably diverge a little bit the next day.

For knock, first verify that your IAM is 1.0. If it's not, that means you've had a non-trivial amount of knock and the ECU has made changes across the board (by reducing IAM) to compensate. In the table, small numbers here and there are no big deal, people see them even with a stock tune (including myself), but large values are something to work on.

Well I only have about 110 mile since the last reset and reload of the realtime map. So far only one cell with -1.4 FLKC. I have an AVO intake. MAF looks like it can be cleaned up. B and C range are over -5%. D range is -4.5%. Thx for the quick reply.

IAM =1.0

"Gimme mines Balboa...Gimme mines".....Clubber Lang - Mr. T

Archived