LegacyGT.com

Downshifting bad for the 5EAT?

brandonGT

so i was cruising at 60 mph on the highway the other day when i found myself in a bit of a situation where i needed a good amount of acceleration to take my gap to get off the freeway. i was in 5th gear manumatic at the time and i knew 5th gear couldnt give me the quick burst of acceleration i needed or else i was going to miss the exit. so i downshifted into 3rd and accomplished what i needed but in doing so, the downshifts to get there felt somewhat harsh and it kind of felt as if it was putting some wear on the transmission.

my question is this harmful to do? does anyone else here use their 5EAT like this?

Brandon

I don't know how the older 5eat's are but in my '08 it advertises rev matching downshifts so I am guessing that there's no problem at all. I can feel it when I'm using the paddle shifters too, when downshifting you can feel the car between gears then the computer revs the car up to match the speed. Pretty neat little feature.

im sure it adds wear and tear but ive done it before. mine is still running. just get a pdx tune. i never have to downshift anymore in 5th on the highway

how do you like the pdx tune? i have a TDC map and im a little dissapointed in the power. even at 19 psi my car feels no stronger than a stock LGT manual transmission which ive driven before.

i love it. not sure how the tdc map is but the car is more driveable down low and once the turbo spools it just pulls to redline. im somewhere between 17-18psi. i never drove the stock 5mt but i can tell you with my pdx map i completely destroyed my friends 5speed 07 wrx. hes still stock except the turbo back cobb exhaust

I'm guessing you waited to get on the throttle until after you downshifted. When downshifting, give it a little throttle and it'll shift smoother. This isn't an old 1-2-D tranny; it's designed to be shifted manually. Honestly, keeping it in D and flooring it would have been faster. Sport mode and flooring it would have been the fastest option. I keep my car in D at all times. The only exception is when I'm going to make a pass on a 2-lane road, sometimes I'll downshift into 3rd before nailing the throttle and switching lanes.

Archived