LegacyGT.com

small black scratches? and rust spots

i have a 05 legacy gt and i just noticed that it has all these little black like scratches on it. they are on the pass side door and stuff. if you take your finger nail and gently rub on them they peel off and then there is a tiny rust spot under them. wtf is this. how do i get rid of this?

I have this on my white 08' legacy too, it looks like road grime or crap. In the spring after winter, my white 08' looks like it has Rusty Brown Chicken pox ALL OVER ENTIRE CAR. it looked like someone sprayed a mist of coffee rust on my car. I just gave it a good hand car wash and got most of it. Before the winter I sealed my car with Klasse sealent, ~3-5 coats, and it looks like its protecting the paint and that stuff just washes off when i go over it with a sponge. Ill be building another 5 layers after i clay the car sometime this summer.

Thanks Bbc84, its so disgusting looking. i think i'm going to buff the hell out of the car " keep fingers crossed on not burning the paint" then i'm going to get a clear bra put on, also i'm getting the clear side panels put on, it goes along the bottom of the doors. i can get that all installed for 289, which i thought was a decent deal. thanks though !

Before you go crazy with a buffer, it very much sounds like tar spots to me.

The tar tends to streak when it adheres to the paint, thus the little line ... and of course these lines were always running along the length of the car (meaning front to back whether it be the hood or the doors) and almost never on the rear of the car, correct?

Well, when you rub the tar off, it leaves a bit of a residue still on the paint that looks brown. The proper thing to do would be to give the car a good clay bar treatment, followed by a paint cleaner like Klasse AIO. If that still doesn't do the trick, THEN follow up with a buffer, especially that after doing the first two steps have prepped your paint for proper polishing.

Clay is definitely a treatment I would recommend too. Especially on white. All that crap that you don't wash off your car in the winter because it is too cold outside is full of all sorts of nasty stuff that will stain and stick to your paint. The tar is an easy enough fix, but the industrial fallout that is causing a lot of those little rust dots needs to be removed with clay and then you need to do a good paint cleaning to clear up all the rust stains. There is plenty of info around here on the beauty of clay and why it needs to be done if you want to do some research.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

alright thanks guys, i'll have to do that, but right now the car is out of comission, i had my speakers installed in it and they cut a whole bunch of wires... long story short they are replacing a wiring harness and giving me in store credit, dumbass's

Clay is definitely a treatment I would recommend too. Especially on white. All that crap that you don't wash off your car in the winter because it is too cold outside is full of all sorts of nasty stuff that will stain and stick to your paint. The tar is an easy enough fix, but the industrial fallout that is causing a lot of those little rust dots needs to be removed with clay and then you need to do a good paint cleaning to clear up all the rust stains. There is plenty of info around here on the beauty of clay and why it needs to be done if you want to do some research.

+1 on the clay bar.

I had similar residue on my car. Took some major work to get the crap off the car.

Once that was done the clay bar took the imperfections out of the paint and smoothed the finish out.

From there 3 coats of wax. Car looks new again. :wub:

Archived