LegacyGT.com

Low speed Steering Tranny issue--96 GT

Mcd227

Hi Guys,

Just joined the group and wanted to ask a question.

My 1996 Gt AT with 107K just started doing a strange thing when I am turning say into a parking spot in a lot. The car almost stops rolling into the spot when the wheels are turned, sort of like it has lost power. Occasionally when then throwing it into park after stopping it is less smooth than it was and there is a small thud.

This is about the only time it occurs, r that I notice it, slow speeds when turning. At regular speeds up during everyday driving the car handles fine.

Any help on the what we are possibly looking at would be great. It has been a great and although I live in Florida and the AWD isn't quite necessary the deal to buy it was too good to pass up a couple years ago. Only that I ever had an issue with was the ERG valve so that's pretty good.

Thanks again for the help and info.

Mcd227

Wheel bearing gone bad maybe? Or a driveshaft joint that's bad.

Lift the car and try to rotate the wheels with different steering positions and also check that the feeling is right and not have any unexpected stickiness in some places.

For your sake I hope that your tires aren't too wide so that they actually come in contact with the body of the car at extreme turning.

453747.png

Sounds like torque bind. A very common issue with the older AT leg's.

Flush and fill the tranny with some new ATF, also putting in a conditioner or additive would help your problem greatly. It may take a couple flushes to cure the problem.

You may also want to flush and fill the front and rear diff with new fluid.

Flush and fill the tranny with some new ATF, also putting in a conditioner or additive would help your problem greatly. It may take a couple flushes to cure the problem.

Hmm, yeah, i was thinking it would be a diff thing.

Although that may help a bit it sounds like the transfer clutches are on their way out. At that mileage it wouldn't be unusual especially if a previous owner ran mismatched tires.

Thanks again for all the help.

A couple things to ask

Some folks are for flushing the tranny and some are for changing it out 4qts at a time via the drain plug. Any help/opinion on this would be great. also, if I do go with the drain and fill any suggestions on fluid other than Subaru.

Also which fluid suggested for the front and rear diff?

I am hoping this helps the Subi out, I really like the car.

:munch:

Just make sure that the oil conforms to the recommended viscosity range and quality spec and you will be fine.

If you have a LSD you have to check that the oil is suitable for the LSD, or the LSD will be less effective.

453747.png

AT Center Diff issue - have had this on my 98 LGT. Ended up replacing the tranny. No more issues. Try the fluid drain at least 2x. DON'T use a power flushing system as it'll only exacerbate any potential other transmission problems by pushing dirt, seal materials, metal particulates and other nasty stuff into your internal valve body and or sealing system areas. Not good!

If draining/refilling/driving plus draining/refilling/driving doesn't fix it, then consider a rebuilt Subaru transaxle.

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

^ You shouldn't have to replace the whole tranny at least in an automatic. The AWD system is completely different, however. I've had the transfer clutch pack replaced for ~$1100 at the dealer on a couple different AT Subarus with 125k+ miles. It's pretty much a normal repair at that mileage from what I've seen.

^ You shouldn't have to replace the whole tranny at least in an automatic. The AWD system is completely different, however. I've had the transfer clutch pack replaced for ~$1100 at the dealer on a couple different AT Subarus with 125k+ miles. It's pretty much a normal repair at that mileage from what I've seen.

That's what I meant by "rebuilt". Sorry I wasn't more clear. But, I think you're optimistic to get it done for $1100 today. More likely about $1500 with recent cost escalations. FWIW - An AWD 1996 Subaru Legacy "replacement" 4EAT transaxle is about $4600 plus shipping.

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

That's what I meant by "rebuilt". Sorry I wasn't more clear. But, I think you're optimistic to get it done for $1100 today. More likely about $1500 with recent cost escalations. FWIW - An AWD 1996 Subaru Legacy "replacement" 4EAT transaxle is about $4600 plus shipping.

SBT

You're probably right. The cars I did it on were a '90 Turbo Loyale and a '93 Legacy L. It was also close to 10 years ago, now that I think of it:eek:

Crap, I'm getting old:lol:

Archived