LegacyGT.com

Turn AWD off for better MPG?

whoo whooo for a whole 5.2 miles. I did a 45 mile trip with an average of 28.3 mpg. In a Stage 2 LGT...it's possible...

Actually I stopped taking pictures. I ended up with 30.6 at the end of my 28 mile journey. I am S2 and protuned as well.

No crap :lol:but it wasn't for the gas mileage

And a really funny thing here (European measurement standards, where lower is better...):

A Subaru Legacy 2.5i (AWD) sedan uses 8.5/11.9 liter/100km (Hwy/City)

A Toyota Avensis 2.4 (no AWD) sedan uses 7.2/13.5 liter/100km (Hwy/City)

Similar cars - not so very different consumption. You win some, you lose some...

453747.png

I've disengaged the AWD (out of spare wheel necessity) on my 99 Leggy and I can tell you that a front-driver is just that, a front-driver. It's not fun, handles like doodoo and makes you wish you had your AWD back right now. Plus, as some others have indicated already, you'll farcle up the center diff pretty quickly if you try to do this for more than a few miles under emergency conditions.

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

No crap :lol:but it wasn't for the gas mileage

And if that can be improved why not

People all over this board are looking for ways to improve all kinds of things why do you have a problem with this

I've disengaged the AWD (out of spare wheel necessity) on my 99 Leggy and I can tell you that a front-driver is just that, a front-driver. It's not fun, handles like doodoo and makes you wish you had your AWD back right now. Plus, as some others have indicated already, you'll farcle up the center diff pretty quickly if you try to do this for more than a few miles under emergency conditions.

SBT

Hey, I had fun the couple times that I ran it in FWD. Afterall, its not a Toyota Camry. And who doesnt love FWD burnouts? :spin:

I cannot see how removing the fuse in a Subaru would amount to much MPG increase if any. You still are spinning the rear driveline and have frictional losses in the rear drive axle, differential and joints etc. Maybe climb under there and remove the rear axle :)

Besides the extra wear on the center diff, you probably won't gain much (or anything) by disabling AWD.

Unlike 4WD vehicles, your Subie doesn't have freewheeling hubs, so all of the axles, diffs and joints will still spin, just driven by the wheels instead of the motor. All frictional and inertial forces still apply, and all power still comes from your engine.

You get nothing.

P.

Besides the extra wear on the center diff, you probably won't gain much (or anything) by disabling AWD.

Unlike 4WD vehicles, your Subie doesn't have freewheeling hubs, so all of the axles, diffs and joints will still spin, just driven by the wheels instead of the motor. All frictional and inertial forces still apply, and all power still comes from your engine.

You get nothing.

P.

That is what I have found out from this. It was a thought that I had when reading the manual.

I would say the horse has been whipped quite a bit with this thread. Probably want to lock it up.

Archived