Experimenting with Wally World supertech 75w-90

RobY

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

[quote=JoeFromPA;2089109........But there's also AMSOIL 75w110 (which I don't think any Subaru owners have tried), about the same price as Extra-S.

And then there's Extra-S....the tried and true.

Hrmmmm...

Joe

75W110 might be a little thick for a PA winter, IMO.

Here's a link showing the old and new SAE specs for 75w90 and 75w110: http://www.lubrizol.com/products/automotive-gear-oil/J306.asp

Basically, 75w90 used to have a kinematic minimum viscosity of 13.5 and maximum of 24.0....now 75w90 is 13.5 min and 18.5 max and 75w110 is 18.5 min and 24.0 max.

Essentially, 75w110 is the same as the old 75w90 but must fall within the higher range of the old specs.

Our subies tend to be clunky in the drivetrain and I'm sure put ALOT more pressure on the lubes we use, than, say, my 06 Civic. So I want something a little thicker. I made the decision this weekend to pickup some 75w110. I'll swap it out and report.

Joe

Now I'm a little torn about this whole thing....I can go the el-cheapo route and get the stock crap out earlier...and I like Supertech. They make good, middle-range products for very little money. And if I don't like it, $20 to flush the original crap out of the trans and diff is kind of a plus....

But there's also AMSOIL 75w110 (which I don't think any Subaru owners have tried), about the same price as Extra-S.

And then there's Extra-S....the tried and true.

Hrmmmm...

Joe

I used the old Amsoil 75w90 (non smurf juice) a few years back. It was horrid in the cold.

Non smurf juice???

That's concerning....I've seen some WRX owners report positive things with AMSOIL gear oils, but that is definitely worrisome to hear.

Argh, I just got pushed back into the Extra-S arena. My natural inclination is to try something new to help expand the knowledge base, but not at the sacrifice of personal happiness :)

Joe

.......My natural inclination is to try something new to help expand the knowledge base, but not at the sacrifice of personal happiness :)

Joe

Well then, why not try out the Fuchs Silkolene SilkTran Syn-5 75W90 GL4/GL5 in your transmission.

Just another pop in from me. Another 1000 miles on the fluid and it's still shifting great. Been a bit chilly around here in the morning, high 40's low 50's usually. A tad bit stiff for the first shift, but that's just the fluid getting moving.

I only notice my car being stiff for the first couple of shifts in first gear, but that is one out my driveway and another for a stop sign at the end of the road. After that is is fine. I do hear the synchro's when I'm going fast and shift down to second for a turn. Otherwise for the price it seems to be working just fine.

In case anyone in Canada was interested, while our Walmart's don't stock this Supertech Semi-Synth 75w90 gear oil (we get stuck with castrol at $20/l), Canadian Tire has Motomaster brand Semi-Synth (GL-5, MT-1, Milspec, etc...) in 1L and 4L containers. $9 per 1L, or $33 per 4L, which is a much better deal than anything else readily availible here.

I have irritated many a Walmart employee looking for this stuff in Quebec and Eastern Ontario, and have settled on the Motomaster stuff. On NASIOC there are some good reviews, and the Forester forums has a few kudos for this stuff too.

• 1 year later...
Yeah I just did my tranny again fro the summer with this stuff. Seems to work pretty well and is great for the price. When I did have the extra s in the front I didn't notice it being that much better than the wally word stuff. So I figure I'd just do a flush every summer and start with fresh fluid.

• 5 months later...

i'm about to change my gear oil with this stuff. already bought it. question though. on the bottle it says "can be used for top off of limited slip/positive traction rear axles" considering that i don't have a rear limited slip, i should be able to just change out everthing using just the supertech stuff and not worry?

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr12/Ripsaw_1088/11-16-09004.jpg

i'm about to change my gear oil with this stuff. already bought it. question though. on the bottle it says "can be used for top off of limited slip/positive traction rear axles" considering that i don't have a rear limited slip, i should be able to just change out everthing using just the supertech stuff and not worry?

What kind of fluid does your rear diff call for? You've read the manual haven't you? ;)

Mine calls for a GL-5 gear oil so this would be fine in there.

Cheers!