LegacyGT.com

Experimenting with Wally World supertech 75w-90

RobY

After reading that wally world actually sources thier store brand stuff from some very reputible suppliers I have decided to give their gear oil a shot. Basicly Wally world motor oil is made by mobil and it is thier GRIII synthetic. Supertech Oil fileters are made by champion labs and are basicly identical to Mobil 1 and K&N filters at a fraction of the cost. Ect...

The subaru extra-s that came with the car was pretty good but got stiff in colder weather. It was sometimes difficult to shift into 1st gear. But overall a very good oil. My tranny was dropped recently (not too long ago) for a clutch change at a subaru dealership and they put in some new oil so the oil wasent too old when I switched over providing a better basis for comparison.

Im using Wally World brand 75w-90 GL5 Supertech Semi Synthetic Gear oil now. Walmart's source is actually Warren Distribution the manufacturers of MAG1 synthetic lubricants. The Spec is GL-5 and is also recommended for MT-1; MACK GO-J and SAE J2360 specifications.

The most telling is the MACK GO-J specification as it is the only specification that qualifies a mack truck transmission to qualify for an extended drain intervals. A mack GO-J specified oil is tested to exceed a baseline of antispalling, anticorrosion, and antiwear characteristics in a Mack T-200 series transmission with engine loads exceeding 1500ft/lbs of torque in heavy haul conditions.

This is a difficult specification to meet and MACK keeps a VERY short list (4 pages) of approved GO-J approved lubricants.

Surprisingly NONE of the deemed "high performance 15 dollar a bottle, 5 percent increase in horsepower!, passed our own arbitrary test, some guy online said it was the bomb! oils" are on it.

Here are some of the criteria.

Mack Power Divider Snap Procedure Specifications:

This procedure covers the Mack GO-J.

Objective The objective is to evaluate the wear protection of a

gear lubricant.

Procedure fixture

Mack truck tractor and trailer loaded to 98,000 lbs. are required to perform this procedure.

Procedure parameters

The Mack truck tractor and trailer are driven in a 100-foot diameter circle for 500 laps. Abnormal noise ("snapping", "popping", etc.) is noted and cams and wedges of power divider are rated for wear and distress.

Procedure parts evaluated

The cams and wedges are evaluated.

Pass/fail criteria

No "significant" distress present on parts and no

"abnormal" noise during testing are the pass/fail

criteria.

High-Temperature Cyclic

Durability Procedure (ASTM D5579)

Specifications

This procedure covers Mack GO-G, GO-H, GO-J,

Objective

The objective is to evaluate the thermal stability of

gear oils by determining number of cycles to unsynchronized shift.

Procedure fixture

Mack synchronizer with new friction and reaction

disks, oil heater, Mack T-2180 transmission, and

electric motor are required to perform this procedure.

Procedure parameters

The high-low range synchronizer of a Mack T-2180

18-speed transmission is shifted through a

12-second cycle (6 seconds in low range,

6 seconds in high range) until an unsynchronized

shift occurs. The shift pressure is held at 90 psi, the

procedure lubricant temperature is controlled at

250°F, and the tail shaft speed is held at 750 rpm

throughout the procedure. The countershafts speed

ranges from 459 rpm to 1756 rpm during the shift.

Procedure parts evaluated

The clutch disks, shifter fork, and synchronizer ring

are evaluated.

Pass/fail criteria

Number of cycles to failure greater than the average

of the last five passing reference oil results is the

pass/fail criterion.

So far so good. It actually felt better than the factory fill. Its pretty cheap too. If you don't like it you can always drain it out 4 qts cost me under 20 bucks.

Shifts are smooth. Actually a bit smoother than the extra-s. First gear is now slightly easier to shift into. There is less syncro "noise" (sometimes you can hear the syncros wind up when shifting from gear to gear). And overall shift effort has improved.

I will keep you up to date as to the longetivity of the oil.

Its had limited use on NASIOC but those that have tried it love it.

Could be an un-found diamond in the rough and a viable alternative.

Edited by RobY

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

hrmmm interesting...

stuff that the dealer put in after replacing the synchro on 5th really sucks on the 1-2 shift, this stuff good during the first few cold shifts too?

Not sure about cold shifts it hasent been too cold here in the last 3 weeks. But in the morning around 50 degrees F without any warmup, all my gears go in like butter.

• 2 weeks later...

So far I'm finding that this stuff is excellent. Quite possibly significantly better than the factory fill. 1000 miles into it. No signs of degradation in shift quality. Gears go in like butter even REVERSE :eek:

Will change the rear diff oil in future if all goes well possibly with 75w-140 full synthetic.

Edited by RobY

• 2 weeks later...
I was looking at this oil last night. Which color bottle were you using? There are 2 different ones in the grey bottle. One is synthetic and the other one is a blend. Then there was stuff in a blue bottle. I don think I saw anything that said NS on the bottle. I figured it was the stuff in the grey bottle, but didn't know which to use.

• 2 weeks later...
I put the blend in last week, front and rear. It goes into reverse better than the stock oil. I only have a little trouble about 20% of the time getting into reverse. I just put a perrin SS adapter on so we will see how well it shifts then.

• 3 weeks later...
Well if anyone cares, I picked up 3 quarts of this stuff and put in the front and rear diff of the 5EAT LGT, I figured at 4.50/qt, I might as well try it. The car feels smoother, although it could be just pyschological, I did drain/fill the tranny fluid with bg conditioner so it's shifting a bit smoother as well...I have about 31k

• 2 weeks later...

subscribed!

very interested in the cold weather performance...

i found the stock stuff to suck in freezing and below temps, to the point where i have to shift into 2nd then down to 1st to smooth out the synchros... i had to do that on my 90 z32 all the time cause the 1st gear synchro was pretty warn out...

erick

The subaru extra-s that came with the car was pretty good but got stiff in colder weather. It was sometimes difficult to shift into 1st gear. But overall a very good oil.

Did you buy your car used? Just curious because these cars don't come with the Extra-S from the factory. At least that's what I thought I read in the Extra-S thread.

Keep us updated though as this stuff sounds good!

Cheers!

DOES NOT come with Extra-S from the factory

I switched to Extra-S and I feel all the same benefits as described for the wally world stuff. Shifts 500 times better when COLD than the stock stuff as well.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just popping in bumping this thread. Last night I changed my transmission with WalMart Supertech 75w90 Semi Synthetic gear oil and boy did it make a difference in shifting!

The overall shifting is smoother, the gears go in smoother and the synchros do their job faster. I really like it now!

I don't know where Roby is from, but I'm up in New England so this winter will really show how it does in the cold.

Plus at $4.something a quart, I couldn't go wrong!

I'll chime in with any issues or status down the road.

Now I'm a little torn about this whole thing....I can go the el-cheapo route and get the stock crap out earlier...and I like Supertech. They make good, middle-range products for very little money. And if I don't like it, $20 to flush the original crap out of the trans and diff is kind of a plus....

But there's also AMSOIL 75w110 (which I don't think any Subaru owners have tried), about the same price as Extra-S.

And then there's Extra-S....the tried and true.

Hrmmmm...

Joe