LegacyGT.com

LGT vs Mazdaspeed 6

Apologies if this has been discussed already but I was wondering who has cross shopped the Speed6 with the LGT and their thoughts/conclusions after test driving both cars. I am test driving one tomorrow (Speed 6)

Search for other threads on this topic, there are a few. Make sure you drive both cars. The LGT has better AWD, is faster and costs less. The MS6 has better brakes and suspension.

That was the case with the 2006 models anyway. I don't know what Mazda has done with the MS6 if anything.

drive the lgt and then let us know :p

the mazdaspeed6 seems like it handles better out of the box. suspension is more rigid. but the cars are very similar. the subaru seems like it was benchmarked against the old biturbo s4 so the feel is pretty similar. the 6 feels like any other 6 with a shock upgrade

performance wise stock for stock the legacy has a better awd setup. i think the mazdaspeed is like 100% fwd unless it loses traction then you get some rear wheel action. otherwise it drives like any other fwd car.

but if you like modding hands down winner is the legacy.

if i had to keep both cars stock it'd be a toss up.

both my mazda and my subaru have been very reliable.

the subaru feels more solid and is probably safer.

when you come back from the test drive you can post about your experience :p i only drove it once for shits and giggles. halfway thru i got bored and just stopped caring.

car for sale. PM me!

There is a big network for the LGT, as it shares so so much turbo Subaru lineage.

I don't know if there is a big support network for MS6 performance... probably just a small grass-roots network.

Plus they stopped making the MS6 after a year or two, didn't they?... it's an anomaly.

I was looking at a new on the lot 06 last year. I had them down to 27k or so on the gt version (no nav) but they wouldn't budge on the trade and they were totally low balling me. I drove it and loved it, but wasn't going to take a beating on my trade to get it.

I ended up with an 08 spec b. I've only got 350ish miles on it, but I can say the mazda was a smoother/quieter engine/drivetrain. Both cars feel great, but the spec b seems to be really noisy around 3k rpms in each gear and worse when gunning out of corners a bit. I haven't beat on it much at all yet as I'm breaking it in, but I have to admit I'm at least a little concerned about some of these noises I'm hearing. The car feels alright though and cruises nicely.

Both feel amazing handling wise coming from a front drive car. I thought the shift action to be better int he speed6. The speed6 imo looks a bit more pleasing. The interior on the lgt/spec b win hands down. The nav on the speed6 is a pop up and looks ridiculous. It also didn't have near the interior gadgetry that the legacy has. I did pay a decent amount more for the spec b though.

Out the box I think the Mazda is the better handling car. Even the standard M6 handles better than the LGT

The LGT is faster, better equipped, better looking and has much better AWD

gt is not any faster than the speed 6. owners have actually gotten 13.6 1/4 bone stock. not one gt has gotten that.

the 6 has better brakes and suspension. if it's close to my old p5 it won't rattle even after a few years.

have you all forgotten that the speed 3and 6 basically have the same engine? 300whp on stock turbo.

people are only biased cause they are ignorant.

IF the speed 6 had an auto option i wouldn't be on this forum.

fwiw i have slipped the front wheels on my gt a few times. even had it sit in place on snow when i redlined first gear. i seriously doubt the awd is a pos like some here would want you to believe.

yeah...low market?? ha!

http://www.turbokits.com/mazdaspeed6_turbo_kits.html

Out the box I think the Mazda is the better handling car. Even the standard M6 handles better than the LGT

The LGT is faster, better equipped, better looking and has much better AWD

better equipped eh?

xenons anyone? even a mazda 3 can get that.

There is a big network for the LGT, as it shares so so much turbo Subaru lineage.

I don't know if there is a big support network for MS6 performance... probably just a small grass-roots network.

Plus they stopped making the MS6 after a year or two, didn't they?... it's an anomaly.

mazda speed protege was short lived.

isnt there a short lives mazdaspeed miata?

they tend to short live those models. technically no different than the every year to 2 year imprezza "refresh" not to mention the legacy's handywork...basically ALL of subarus cars get redone waaaay too soon.

^^ What are you the legacygt.com resident mazda cheerleader? :lol:

MS6s are nice cars. Test drive both of them and make your own determination, as was mentioned above, I don't think you'll find a lot of people on legacygt.com talking down the LGT.

^^ What are you the legacygt.com resident mazda cheerleader? :lol:

MS6s are nice cars. Test drive both of them and make your own determination, as was mentioned above, I don't think you'll find a lot of people on legacygt.com talking down the LGT.

as i stated. IF it had an auto i would not be here.

facts are facts.

^^^Thats good...

After a test drive of the MSP6, I thought my KW Coil-overed wagon rode more comfortably, so did my wife and the Mazda salesperson who asked to drive my car :lol:

At Stg 1 there is no contest. Moreover, if you are in a state w/ 91 octane, stock for stock there is not a contest.

With new pads on the LGT, the brakes are just as good...

:spin:

fwiw i have slipped the front wheels on my gt a few times. even had it sit in place on snow when i redlined first gear. i seriously doubt the awd is a pos like some here would want you to believe.

:lol::lol: ORLY???

as i stated. IF it had an auto i would not be here.

facts are facts.

Man, relax. I was joking. Buck-up and drive the standard if you like the MS6 that much more. I guess it might just be me, but I don't particularly see why you'd let that get in the way of driving the car that it truly sounds like you want.

Man, relax. I was joking. Buck-up and drive the standard if you like the MS6 that much more. I guess it might just be me, but I don't particularly see why you'd let that get in the way of driving the car that it truly sounds like you want.

oh sorry...i wan't angry or hopped up or anything. i used to have a mazda protege 5 and was looking at the speed6 as an upgrade at the time.

2 people have to drive it.

as far as the gt goes...i upgraded the tires and pads already. suspension does need work but you have to drive like an idiot to take full advantage of all that. got the ap installed. xenons too.

i basically have what i want now.

what i am considering now is a g37 in a couple of years and maybe forced induction on it.

i went from my LGT to a MS6, while i do miss my leggy, its the small things that make me really like moving over.

way less hiway road/wind noise

non mushy brakes

smart windows, tap the buttons and the windows will notch; auto down/up; and safety obstruction roll-down

xenon headlights

blah blah

performance wise, hp/tq gains with just bolt-ons is ridiculous! its great, all it needs is a good tuning solution (cobb kinda ditched the MS6 access port for the MS3)

i already a have parts on the way

BC coilovers

Corksport single 3" catback

turboxs test pipe

SPC front balljoints (to adjust front camber)

whiteline RSB + endlinks

engine mount

rear diff brace

trying to decide on some wheels (anyone? 5x114 18x8 +48)

try a 300whp 6 vs a stage 1 gt then.

stock for stock it would be close but no stock gt has hit a 13.6 in the 14.

as i said the speeds will hit 300hp on stock turbo. no gt can do that.

these kinds of threads can go on forever.

when you start throwing aftermarket parts on when do you stop? bench racing with theoretical parts is kinda pointless. even on the internet.

in the end our cars are so rare that odds of you lining up next to one are very very slim. i see about 1 mazdaspeed6 a week. and i see about 2 legacy GTs a week. i dont see what the point is.

i like the support here. the mazda is a fine car. if it had a not crippled awd system i would have a hard time deciding. i have a miata it's just as fun as my legacy with 1/3 the power. no fanboyism here.

in the end, OP. test drive both. buy whichever stirs your soul. although i do imagine if you spend more time in each of the cars the legacy will come out on top.

car for sale. PM me!

my neighbor was with me. i do have a witness. i put it in s# and floored it and the car redlined. i let off then put it in i mode and it pulled out with zero issues.

:lol: Does this even logically compute in your brain?

I dare you to try it in any awd car or truck with 200+ awhp. Again.. who is stupid enough to floor it in the snow any expect the car to gain any traction whatsover?

AWD != God, no matter how much you think this is the case.

My first post. I have been lurking learning about the car since I got my 06 SpecB with 6k miles last month.

Back on topic. I was very close to buying a MS6 with a very long test drive. It is a very nice car and was cheaper than the SpecB I ended up buying. They feel very different and ultimate decision would be matter of preference. I will say that immediate impression is that MS6 feels more rigid but also more delicate at the same time while Legacy feels less refined but more robust if that makes any sense.

For me, the thing that really killed the deal with the MS6 was the seats ...they prop you up so high that you are very upright with your feet way down even at the lowest seat setting...like my Ford Explorer. My previous car was a sports car with a feet forward seating position. Ergonomically, upright is better for your back but I could not get over how "family sedan" feeling the seat position was on the MS6...very un-sports car like. Legacy's seat are positionable much lower...though they are not perfect either and can be about 1.5 inches longer for the seat bottom in my opinion.

Other immediate impressions is that while MS6 6-speed shifts extremely smoothly (much better than Legacy's-at least mine with a Kartboy shortshifter), the ratios are too short for at least 2 and 3. MS6 handles well but it is stiff and rough ride. My Legacy rides smoother and feels very good but it has Perrin stabilizer bars and endlinks so it is not stock.

Finally, one other factor was that MS6 is discontinued. Legacy is not going to change over until 2010 I believe.

Obviously, I got the Legacy and am very impressed so far....still learning about it and finding its characteristics. I will say AWD seems much harder to read the limits of the car.

My 2 cents.

Archived