LegacyGT.com

2008 Legacy GT Limited vs. 2008 Legacy 3.0R Limited

So a friend of mine is considering a new Legacy. I went to the dealership with him last night and we both drove a GT Limited & 3.0R Limited. Long story short, the dealership quoted him $30.5k for a fully-loaded GT Limited and $28k for a fully-loaded 3.0R Limited. Feature content is equal between the two, but the 3.0R has larger (and nicer) 18" wheels. According to the saleseman the GT is more in-demand and is the main reason why it sells for more.

My question is, for someone who plans to leave their car stock, why/how is the turbo-4 "better" than the H-6? Sure, the GT has more torque, but it suffers from turbo lag (automatic) and is a bit buzzier at high revs. It's also worth noting that the fuel economy is nearly identical between the two (1 addt'l MPG in the city with the GT) and the 3.0R can run on regular, although premium is recommended. Aside from the modibility potential w/ the turbo-4 (which my friend isn't interested in), what, if anything, makes the GT worth the price premium? Any and all feedback is appreciated, especially from current/past Legacy owners. http://www.vwvortex.com/vwbb/cool.gif TIA!

Hmm.. I've never driven the 3.0, but I just pulled up the specs:

245hp @ 6600rpm

215ft-lbs @ 4200rpm

For a 3.0, those are nice specs, but if you're going to end up with a 6cyl I'd rather have any of the other Japanese alternative engines. They are all in the 3.5L range and put out more power. (nissan VQ35, honda & toyota's 3.5, etc).

If you are in it more for the AWD, then it's a fine choice though.

Keep in mind these cars depreciate quickly the first few years, so buying used might not be a bad idea. I just picked up an 05 to save money, but if I did it again (or had more money to blow), I'd probably go with an 06 GT because the stereo is MP3 enabled and the turbo seems to be more reliable. You should be able to find an 06 for < 20k easy - pocket the $8k and use it for gas money :)

Drive em both is my best suggestion. The H6 drives really nice, with smooth consistant power delivery. It's power on demand engine feels more refined than the 2.5T

There is no sudden woosh of power. At slow speed, low revs it feels solid, and it builds up nice as you need it.

Plus it doesnt require premium, and with current gas prices, bet your ass that is a factor

You'll have to drive both for yourself to feel the difference in power delievery.

If you really aren't going to touch it, go with the 3.0 :)

also if you're not going to touch it get off the site.

you'll thank me later.

(but you cant because you're not on the site)

car for sale. PM me!

I paid $28,200 for my LGT two months ago, and the only 3.0R on the lot was running like $32k. The only thing I'm missing (well, I don't miss it) is the nav unit. Eff that noise. To my knowledge the demand is so high for LGTs that I'm still the only person in this area to have a new one (and I have only seen one other current-gen LGT) in the area, and I've been looking. A lot of 2.5i Legacies, though, and since they had more of those on the lot, I'd assume that demand is higher for those, my LGT had been sitting on the lot at least two months before I bought it. The spec.B it was parked next to is sitting there, and I think I'm the only person that ever test-drove the spec.B.

If he's not going to mod it though, I don't see where the issue lies.

Also consider the price of gas. the H6 CAN run on regular fuel although they recommend premium. I love my H6 and wasn't planning on modding it at all. My only mods planned are suspension and brakes wise.

Also consider the price of gas. the H6 CAN run on regular fuel although they recommend premium. I love my H6 and wasn't planning on modding it at all. My only mods planned are suspension and brakes wise.

This is true, although…

Back when it was regular at $1.50 and Premium at $1.70 it made a dif %-wise…

The difference of a 3 bucks a fill now at over 50 makes it a no brainer for me, even in my 00 2.5 L.

Ummm, okay. I take it this site is for racers and turbo fanboys only? :rolleyes:

He was trying to do you a favor because the more you explore this site, the more you will find Legacy owners who like to modify there cars. It becomes somewhat of an addiction. Ask anyone on this forum about that.

If your definition of racers and turbo fanboys are people that like to modify their cars tastefully, then sure the site if filled with those types of people. :)

Will you find LGT's with 100hp shots of nitrous? No, at least i haven't run into that

Will you find LGT's with rediculous body kits? hopefully not on this site

Does this site condone street racing? Absolutely not, keep in on a closed track

Don't get it twisted. :cool:

We are here to help each other however we can. At least most of us anyway.

Turbo 4 vs Non-Turbo 6 is purely a matter of taste. As an example, I used to drive a Thunderbird turbo coupe (2.3L 4 cyl turbo). I loved that car and still miss it. When it died, I test drove a bunch of cars, but ended up getting a brand new 4.6L V8 Mustang (260hp, 300 lb-ft) that was much faster than the T-Bird. Although I appreciated the smooth power of the Mustang, it never really clicked with me like the exhilaration of the turbo on the T-bird. Eventually I got rid of the Mustang, and now I'm back with a Turbo 4 cyl and loving it.

But I'm sure there are some who feel the opposite and would prefer smooth consistent power to turbo rush.

He was trying to do you a favor because the more you explore this site, the more you will find Legacy owners who like to modify there cars. It becomes somewhat of an addiction. Ask anyone on this forum about that.

If your definition of racers and turbo fanboys are people that like to modify their cars tastefully, then sure the site if filled with those types of people. :)

Will you find LGT's with 100hp shots of nitrous? No, at least i haven't run into that

Will you find LGT's with rediculous body kits? hopefully not on this site

Does this site condone street racing? Absolutely not, keep in on a closed track

Don't get it twisted. :cool:

We are here to help each other however we can. At least most of us anyway.

I'm cool with all of that. I think modding your car is great. I just object to being told not to post on a site unless I plan on doing mods.

Turbo 4 vs Non-Turbo 6 is purely a matter of taste. As an example, I used to drive a Thunderbird turbo coupe (2.3L 4 cyl turbo). I loved that car and still miss it. When it died, I test drove a bunch of cars, but ended up getting a brand new 4.6L V8 Mustang (260hp, 300 lb-ft) that was much faster than the T-Bird. Although I appreciated the smooth power of the Mustang, it never really clicked with me like the exhilaration of the turbo on the T-bird. Eventually I got rid of the Mustang, and now I'm back with a Turbo 4 cyl and loving it.

But I'm sure there are some who feel the opposite and would prefer smooth consistent power to turbo rush.

Well thats cause you bought a mustang GT, if you would have bought a real v8 the power would consume your mind.

I traded my 2000 Ford Mustang GT (4.6 V8) for a 2008 Subaru Legacy GT Limited.

The Mustang and Legacy are both AT. Both are more than fast enough and turbo lag isn't an issue. The Legacy feels a lot faster than the Mustang; it weighs less although has less power and torque, but has an additional gear. The Mustang served me well but I wanted something more refined and room to carry passengers. Plus I don't have every teenage yahoo driving his parents' car trying to race me all the time because they don't know what my car is (they probably think it's a Camry).

I drove the 3.0R as well, but the GT was more fun to drive, it had more torque. Plus you get the nifty hood scoop. Everybody asks me if it's real; I guess there are too many cars out there with fake scoops.

The 3.0R has navigation standard and 18" wheels (and suspension upgrade over the GT), plus a few other things like chrome strips on the rocker panels and memory seats, but those aren't important to me. 17" wheels use more affordable tires than 18", and the car doesn't have much chrome to begin with so the rocker panel strip looks out of place to me. Navigation is a $2000-2500 option on the GT, which is kinda pricy compared to other manufacturers. I plan on buying a Garmin and saving about $1500. If you have the nav, you can't have the optional subwoofer as they would go under the driver's seat and there isn't room for both.

Both are great cars. Yes, the GT requires premium, which will cost more, so to a lot of people that might sway them to the 3.0R. However, the GT gets better gas mileage than the Mustang (Legacy gets 22 city/29 hwy) and has a bigger gas tank so I fill up every 5-6 days instead of every 2-3 days, which is huge. If you're really concerned about the fuel costs between the two cars, go to www.fueleconomy.gov and plug some numbers in and you will see how much per year you'll save if you pick one over the other.

I still think the only reason they came out with the 3.0R is because some people wouldn't consider a 4-cylinder GT, even if it's more powerful than the H6.

FWIW, my buddy is now considering waiting for the '09. I guess the '09s are supposed to get much-improved Harmon Kardon sound systems (not sure what, if anything else, will be new).

When does Subaru typically launch their next model year vehicles? Early like Aug-Sep or later in the year like Oct-Nov?

There is almost no demand for the LGT. I have seen maybe four or five driving around my whole life. There are barely in stock at the dealer, they mostly stock 2.5i. If they are quoting you 30k for a GT, that it too high! I don't really think it's worth it to get an '09, yes it has a better stereo, but I don't expect any major changes. If you get an '08 when the '09s arrive (sept) you can get a great deal!

I still think the only reason they came out with the 3.0R is because some people wouldn't consider a 4-cylinder GT, even if it's more powerful than the H6.

It's probably more a factor of deleting the hood scoop in order to apply to a more broad US demographic. If you ask most adults who do not like Suby's why they feel that way, they'll usually point out the hood ... and then brand image.

Archived