LegacyGT.com

Is there any way to go stage 2 without.....

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You gotta be willing to pay to play as stage 2 mods are rather obvious to the dealer. Some dealers will look the other way and others won't. Your warranty can't be voided but if you bring the car in for a problem and they feel a mod contributed or caused the failure then they may refuse to cover it.

Unless you have a cool dealer, no.

Basically stage 2 is better exhaust overall, downpipe and more.

What you could do, is go stage 2, and then everytime you take it in to have anything done - ANYTHING - take everything out of the car and put it all back in when you get it back. It'd be fun. In a year or so, you'd prolly be the fastest downpipe installer in the world.

Also it depends on your definition of stage 2.

Usually stg 2 is UP/DP/Catback/Flash. However i think where they really start saying no dice if you have engine problems is the flash. A local North Central member had his turbo go out under the factory warranty, he had an UP/DP and aftermarket cans but no catback and they replaced the turbo under warranty.

There are mod friendly dealers and there are not. The deal is if something breaks they have to demonstrate that your modification contributed to the problem. If you have a stock suspension and are stage 2 with flash but you have a wheel bearing go bad, it would be pretty hard to say that stage 2 power caused it to go bad. However if you have aftermarket springs and your camber and toe in was borked I would say the dealer is totally in the right to tell you that you are out of luck on warranty coverage.

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

My syncros are goin out in all gears and my dealer said it was because my AP, which at the time was the ONLY mod. My opinion is that it all depends on the cost. After they denied my tranny claim, my fan was cycling all the time. I took it in and they said they had to replace my ECU and had no problems doing so. The tranny woulda been ~$2500, the ECU was only ~$600. If you ask me, the tranny goin out had probably NOTHING to do with the AP, on the other hand, they coulda said my AP was the ONLY reason the ECU went bad.

Shysters are just tryin to save a penny.

P.S. The spell checker knows the word shysters.

:lol: Nice try. :lol:

I agree.

The difference to stage II is incredible. Problem is that if you want the performance you are pretty much guaranteed that you won't have the extended warranty coverage.

Is the tradeoff worth it for YOU is the dilemma????

If you are running the stock 05 UP you will need to swap that out as well.

In any case it might be a good idea to get a catless UP. Some members have experienced issues from the cat breaking up and spitting pieces into the turbo.

You can generally find some pretty good prices used in the member classified section.

Good luck.

so i'm gonna go UP and DP. Screw the damn warranty. Any recommendations for brand? I want to go catless UP correct. What is the gutted UP? Is the STI UP catless? I read that the STI is close to stock. DP should be simple i suppose. Thanks for the help fellow members.

Most aftermarket UP are catless. Gutted UP is the OEM UP where you gut the cat. I believe that there is information on this in the Walkthrough sections.

I'm pretty sure the STi UP is catless.

You won't be disappointed going Stage II.

Most aftermarket UP are catless.
all

Gutted UP is the OEM UP where you gut the cat.
PITA...you're better off buying one

I'm pretty sure the STi UP is catless.
Yes

You won't be disappointed going Stage II.
Nope

You gotta be willing to pay to play as stage 2 mods are rather obvious to the dealer. Some dealers will look the other way and others won't. Your warranty can't be voided but if you bring the car in for a problem and they feel a mod contributed or caused the failure then they may refuse to cover it.

Not true... I used a gutted up pipe/down pipe for my stg II setup just for that reason. Throw a SPT exhaust on there and they'll have no reason to deny your claims should they come up. Sure there are other ways to find out that you're not stock (something might tip them off when they drive it...) but most won't care as long as they don't see blingy aftermarket pipes.

Not true... I used a gutted up pipe/down pipe for my stg II setup just for that reason. Throw a SPT exhaust on there and they'll have no reason to deny your claims should they come up. Sure there are other ways to find out that you're not stock (something might tip them off when they drive it...) but most won't care as long as they don't see blingy aftermarket pipes.

If that has been your experience then that is good to know but I have seen/heard otherwise from dealers in the area. As well for those of us that prefer not to run completely catless for a variety of reasons it makes it a bit more difficult.

a gutted downpipe and an STi uppipe shouldnt throw any red flags at the dealer. u can even unmarry your AP before you go in.

gutted downpipe looks exactly the same as before. 07 and 08 LGTS already have a catless Uppipe. not sure if these are the same as the sti uppipe but if you take one from the 07 and put it in ur car i'm pretty sure the dealer wont even know the difference.

there is no way to tell until the dealer pulls these parts off and looks inside for the cat.

car for sale. PM me!

changed my oil last night for the first time...was looking at the bolts for the up-pipe/down pipe and theyre pretty rusty....it would prolly be noticeable if i had to replace all those bolts no?

changed my oil last night for the first time...was looking at the bolts for the up-pipe/down pipe and theyre pretty rusty....it would prolly be noticeable if i had to replace all those bolts no?

lol paint the new ones a rusty color :lol:

car for sale. PM me!

Archived