LegacyGT.com

2007 Legacy spec.B is BL? or BP?

And in case you're wondering, they're chassis code designations.

I wouldn't worry about using them. Just take the few extra seconds it takes to type out what it is. People like to say they use them because it saves time, but if half the people here don't know what they mean, what's the point? Besides being more JDM-tyte, of course.

Edited by s car go

• 1 year later...
what are those mean?? BL? BP? BL5? BP5?
OK, after spending the day looking at JDM parts WHAT is the "5" for? Not answered in this post or others via search.

Don't want to end up with BL5 parts not working on BL if there is any difference...

http://www.cars101.com/subaru/vin.html <- that can help you get a better understanding of the VIN.
Wasn't quite what I was searching/asking for however the 6th digit of the VIN does indicate the engine displacement.

So far the USDM vehicles with the 2.5L engine, turbo or NA, is "6". So the sedan is BL6 and the wagons are BP6 in that jargon.

I am now fairly sure the JDM Legacy BL5/BP5 coding is for the turbo 2.0L engine. This is also confirmed by the window stickers on the used cars I have seen, the "hood scoop" models all have the "5" including the revised body panel 07+ MY.

So they're all BP/BL, that fivver is engine related.

Well, there's a sticky'd thread right in this same forum that answers this and more http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=451
Um and you found a reference to BL5 or BP5 in that thread? As the Missouri folks say, "Show Me".

EDIT, I did see the one BE reference that talked about the number following being for engine configuration ( displacement and induction ).

Anywho, like I mentioned in my first post I came across a huge cache of used OEM and aftermarket parts in Japan ( staying here thru 11/14 ). All the turbo-charged 4th gens JDM rides have a "5" after the BL or BP. Thus I did not want to buy any BL5 parts for my USDM Leggy and come to find out they don't fit.

Edited by ktmrider

• 11 years later...
I'm curious to know if this question has been resolved. By the looks of it, it has not. So, I shall ask again in hopes that somebody can confirm this question. Will BL5 and BP5 parts fit onto a BL or BP? Is the 5 just for jdm? If not what does the 5 stand for? Also, what does BL and BP mean? This is more then 1 question but I really want to buy this specific item for my car. I just want to make sure it'll fit without modifications.

I'm curious to know if this question has been resolved. By the looks of it, it has not. So, I shall ask again in hopes that somebody can confirm this question. Will BL5 and BP5 parts fit onto a BL or BP? Is the 5 just for jdm? If not what does the 5 stand for? Also, what does BL and BP mean? This is more then 1 question but I really want to buy this specific item for my car. I just want to make sure it'll fit without modifications.

It varies depending on JDM, USDM, EDM because of differences of years.

BP = Wagon

BL = Sedan

BP5/BL5 is the Pre Face Lift models: 04-06 (JDM) or 05-07 (USDM)

BP9/BL9 is the Post Face Lift models: 07-09 (JDM) or 08-09 (USDM)

BPE/BLE is the 3.0 (H6) models, regardless of face lift/model year

(Partial Source: http://forum.liberty.asn.au/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=21200)

Depending on the part, some work across all those variants and some only fit some of the variants. We would need to know what part to help identify if it would work.

• 2 weeks later...

I got this information from Subaru of Japan.

Will BL5 and BP5 parts fit onto a BL or BP?

Depends on the part you're talking about. Engine parts, yes. Transmission, varies. Body, varies.

Subaru's naming convention is as follows:

First letter - group

They said the group is usually the model of the vehicle, but doesn't always mean that.

Second letter - model/body

The second letter is assigned in order through production.

So.. the BL and the following few letters (BM, BN) were reserved for the Legacy sedan. BP and the following few letters (BR) were reserved for the Legacy wagon.

https://www.subaru.jp/afterservice/tnst/legacy.html

Third letter - engine

5 is the indicator for the 2.0L engine

9 is the indicator for the 2.5L engine

E is the indicator for the 3.0L engine

and so on

Edited by Audioqueso