LegacyGT.com

boy, can't wait till spring...

So the heated winshield wipers don't work very well?
I think that they are discussing the washer spray nozzles.

It's frikkin freezing here in Western Mass.

Damn this Arctic Blast crap! What happened to global warming? :D

The problem is not with the car, your washers are freezing is because of the factory fill washer fluid Subaru uses. The factory fluid is water based, and in my car would freeze when the temps dropped into the high 20's. The solution is to replace the fluid with any of the anti-freeze or ice melting washer fluids on the market. After mine froze the first and second times, I waited until the first warm day and then emptied the tank and replaced it with good washer fluid. No problems since.

-Nick

Guest *Jedimaster*
At least you guys got washer fluid in yours. My dealership filled mine with water- I had to pick slush out of my washer bottle. Thanks Bill Kolb!

Mine will work fine after the car has been sitting for a while, but when I get on the road (when I really could use some visibility) the lines freeze up. This was after I replaced the fluid.

Hmmm...interesting. What kind of fluid did you use, and what temperature was it outside?

Guest JessterCPA
The problem is not with the car, your washers are freezing is because of the factory fill washer fluid Subaru uses. The factory fluid is water based, and in my car would freeze when the temps dropped into the high 20's. The solution is to replace the fluid with any of the anti-freeze or ice melting washer fluids on the market. After mine froze the first and second times, I waited until the first warm day and then emptied the tank and replaced it with good washer fluid. No problems since.

-Nick

I am going to try that on the way home. Thanks. I was getting real frustrated with salt streaks all ove my windsheild and no washer solution to clean them with. I get one clean up in the morning, and after that, nothing.

Thanks for the tip!

yeah, you guys are definetly the victims of cheap washer fluid, or in some cases water. I have NEVER had a problem with the nozzles. Keep in mind i did fill up the tank with good fluid right before the temps dropped. Something which has like -30 freezing temp. It was exactly -1 degrees this morning when i started the car, without the windchill. I used the fluid right away with NO problems.

My windows have seemed a little sluggish someitmes, but again i haven't encountered a situation where the just didn't work at all.

I have never had any problems with the orange Rain-X stuff...its even labeled as a de-icer for when you get a lot of frost.

Basically anything which goes down to real low temps. Ususally the generic gas station stuff is junk unless you have no choice.

I use the yellow Prestone de-icer, works very well.

Thats the other one i was fumbling for...another good choice

Something to keep in mind, i have found a LOT of dealers / shops will put just water in it....specifically in warmer climates or summer months. Its fine for those locations/times, but as soon as there is any cold weather for the rest of us, you will not be happy.

Guest JessterCPA

Sorry for the continued questions. I have never has a prob like this before. Strange.

What is your water/fluid mix? 50/50?

yeah, I just put straight fluid in. I topped off with decent stuff, but maybe whatever came from the factory is bad enough its still not diluted enough.

And for the person who asked--its nice to be able to open your windows for things like getting the mail, taking a toll booth ticket...what if you got pulled over? Cops are probably real happy to pull you over and see the door start to open...

yeah, I just put straight fluid in. I topped off with decent stuff, but maybe whatever came from the factory is bad enough its still not diluted enough.

And for the person who asked--its nice to be able to open your windows for things like getting the mail, taking a toll booth ticket...what if you got pulled over? Cops are probably real happy to pull you over and see the door start to open...

Also, smoking a ciggy!! :D Ya gotta blow dat shit out!!!!!!!!

On topic: No probs with the wipers (I did get better blades) and I use your generic 99c washer fluid. In chicago it has hit single digits for a couple days now.

OBAMA......One Big Ass Mistake America!

Archived