LegacyGT.com

I had my rear bumper repainted after some woman at work backed in to it and dinged it a little. She was nice enough to leave a note and paid for the repairs. Took it to the dealerships body shop and it looks perfect. The problem is now on some parts of the car's paint isn't smooth anymore. I'm thinking it could be overspray. What is the best way to get that smooth and glossy feeling on the paint? The paint looks clean, i just doesn't feel as smooth as it used to be.

Overspray is very common at body shops. They don't cover the car while they do the repairs and just cover it. I would clay your paint and the glass as well. Be sure to wax again afterwards. If you have a good layer of wax or sealant on there that is only a week or two old then this overspray might just come off with a wash. That is one of the values of protecting your paint. Either way, clay should do the trick. There is plenty of info in here on how to use and where to get clay.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

• 1 month later...
Overspray is very common at body shops. They don't cover the car while they do the repairs and just cover it. I would clay your paint and the glass as well. Be sure to wax again afterwards. If you have a good layer of wax or sealant on there that is only a week or two old then this overspray might just come off with a wash. That is one of the values of protecting your paint. Either way, clay should do the trick. There is plenty of info in here on how to use and where to get clay.

Claying the glass is ok? I clayed my headlights and it worked wonders, but I was not aware if there were any consequences. I was not sure if the detailer spray may adversely affect the glass.

Nah. Glass is tougher than the paint is. You can clay it without having any problems. Certinanly no clay lube is going to hurt it. The only things you want to avoid doing to glass is polishing it with paint polish or waxing/sealing it with paint products. That can haze and distort the glass and the last thing you want is to have hazy or distorted images coming through your windshield at night.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

Archived