LegacyGT.com

Extended Wheel Bearing Warranty

I mentioned the humming noise and the wheel bearing extended warranty to Go Subaru and they wanted me to "schedule an appointment... When I had my DSM tthe Mitsu dealer would just send a tech to ride along to see if I needed an appointment...

[start sandbox]

I've taken my car to the dealer twice now (Burt Subaru) for what should have been considered warranty work (hot, oil burning smell). Both times they checked it out, said it all seemed good, and dismissed me with diagnostic fees and such to the tune of around $150. I mentioned that I thought it was under warranty and was told it's only free if they find something wrong, otherwise they have to charge me. I opened a case with SOA and was told the same thing.

[stop sandbox]

So I'd rather know exactly what it sounds like before I think about scheduling an appointment. There is definitely a humming from the rear, but nothing like when the wheel bearings went out in my Accord.

Maybe I can shed some light here. A vehicle does comes with a warranty. However, in order to know what is wrong with it, they have to diagnose the concern. Some dealers inform the customer upfront and some do not. You the customer have to authorize that diagnostic fee and if the problem is not covered by warranty or they do not find anything wrong, you may have to pay it. Four things can happen here.

1) If they find something wrong with the vehicle and it is under warranty, then you do not pay that fee.

2) They can't duplicate the concern, depending on the dealership, you agreed for them to diagnose it and pay for the technicians time to try and find the concern.

3) They can't duplicate the concern and you don't pay anything. I do not charge customers anything if we can't duplicate the concern.

4) They find something wrong and is not a covered part/repair. You are given an estimate for the repairs.

Many technicians do not like to go for a ride w/o a repair order and you agreeing for a diagnosis. Technicians do not get paid to sit around. Their time is money and they certainly do not like to work for free(as do anyone else). While they are riding in your car, not getting paid, they could be getting paid to work on another car that someone else now has. Now if the customer has a good report with the service dept and does business with them, that can change things.

However, just because you have a warranty, does not mean everything is covered and it should be free.

[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

Maybe I can shed some light here. A vehicle does comes with a warranty. However, in order to know what is wrong with it, they have to diagnose the concern. Some dealers inform the customer upfront and some do not. You the customer have to authorize that diagnostic fee and if the problem is not covered by warranty or they do not find anything wrong, you may have to pay it. Four things can happen here.

1) If they find something wrong with the vehicle and it is under warranty, then you do not pay that fee.

2) They can't duplicate the concern, depending on the dealership, you agreed for them to diagnose it and pay for the technicians time to try and find the concern.

3) They can't duplicate the concern and you don't pay anything. I do not charge customers anything if we can't duplicate the concern.

4) They find something wrong and is not a covered part/repair. You are given an estimate for the repairs.

Many technicians do not like to go for a ride w/o a repair order and you agreeing for a diagnosis. Technicians do not get paid to sit around. Their time is money and they certainly do not like to work for free(as do anyone else). While they are riding in your car, not getting paid, they could be getting paid to work on another car that someone else now has. Now if the customer has a good report with the service dept and does business with them, that can change things.

However, just because you have a warranty, does not mean everything is covered and it should be free.

Understandable... but two services later I'm at least $400 lighter and my car still smells like hot burning oil at times... If I was a dealer, carrying a particular brand, that would be a concern to me...

Back to the reason this started, what specifically does the wheel bearing problem sound like? I'm not going to go pay $150 to have them say the humming is not bad enough to be a wheel bearing.

Understandable... but two services later I'm at least $400 lighter and my car still smells like hot burning oil at times... If I was a dealer, carrying a particular brand, that would be a concern to me...

Back to the reason this started, what specifically does the wheel bearing problem sound like? I'm not going to go pay $150 to have them say the humming is not bad enough to be a wheel bearing.

A wheel bearing usually will not make a burning smell. You will usually hear roaring/growling, road noise or a constant squeak type sound. You can also request that an SOA rep get involved and call SOA. I have known advisors to blow off customers in regards to that.

[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

I got letter for extention of warranty for rear bearings but it was my front, left that quit on me first. Do you expect something for front too?

Krzys

The warranty on the front bearings has not been extended, only the rears.

A wheel bearing usually will not make a burning smell. You will usually hear roaring/growling, road noise or a constant squeak type sound. You can also request that an SOA rep get involved and call SOA. I have known advisors to blow off customers in regards to that.

Thanks, that confirms my experiences from previous cars...

Has anyone here had a bearing cause a high pitched whine @speeds over 50 mph that sounds similar to feathered tires????Interested becuase I did a wheel swap and the noise is still there.Then I took it to Perry Subaru they had it for two days and only ordered a parking brake boot.Oh and they don't even have chassis ear for the shop.Nice diag.

Did they tell you why they ordered a parking brake boot? What was the outcome? Did they diagnose it, could they not duplicate the condition?

Perry is a reputable dealership and I refer some customers who are from 757 and too far from me to them.

The leather was cracked on the boot.They said they couldn't duplicate it.I did a tire swap the other day at the shop and it still had the noise.Then they said my tires were cupped but they're not.They have minimal edge wear.

It has made the typical wheel bearing noise that sounds like a wear indicator only twice.But at any speed above 40 it sounds like a turbine.A very high pitched droning noise.I guess I'll have to use my shop's chassis ear and diag it myself.

Glad I didn't tell them about the seat frame popping too.

Yeah...um..sure?^^Input appreciated bro..but they're not cupped.No difference in height from one tread to another.Like I stated^^^^ I did a wheel swap and the noise was still there.Appears mostly from the left side,same as before .

Go away Knucklehead,Not gonna get in sword fight on what you think "cupping" is ...they're not cupped .Like I said ^^^ the noise is still present on a new set of tires.They cupped too?You've been drinking you fuel again haven't ya?

• 4 years later...

Archived