LegacyGT.com

Extended Wheel Bearing Warranty

This might have already been posted.

Rear Wheel Bearing Extended Warranty Program

TO:GLR-- MAR-- NWR-- SCR-- SDC-- SWR Dealers FROM:Subaru of America, Inc.DEPARTMENT:ServiceDATE:05/02/2008

Subaru of America, Inc. has initiated an Extended Warranty Program for Rear Wheel Bearings on certain 2005 and early 2006 model year Legacy and Outback models. Coverage will be extended to 8 years or 100,000 miles.

During a quality review, Subaru discovered that there is a possibility that one or both of an affected vehicle's Rear Wheel Bearings may, over time, develop a noise condition that causes the bearing to produce a whining sound. This sound does not pose a safety issue and does not adversely affect the normal operation of the bearing. However, if the vehicle experiences this condition, it should be corrected by replacing the affected bearing, which will eliminate the sound. As a result of this finding and in the interest of customer satisfaction, SOA is extending the Rear Wheel Bearing warranty coverage period for the affected vehicles to 8 years (96 months) or 100,000 miles, whichever occurs first.

General information concerning this extended warranty program:

• <LI style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">Technical Service Bulletin number 03-58-08 will be posted on the Techinfo.Subaru.com website on or around May 5, 2008. The Bulletin will contain additional information concerning identification of affected vehicles, repair and claim submission procedures. <LI style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">Since this is an Extended Warranty Program, no mailing lists will be provided to dealers. However, vehicles within the affected VIN ranges will be identified in the Vehicle Coverage Report found on Subarunet beginning early next week. <LI style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">On or around May 5, 2008, SOA will mail owners of affected vehicles a letter advising them of the warranty coverage extension. A copy of the letter can be found at the end of TSB 03-58-08. <LI style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">Most vehicles affected by this warranty extension are still within the original warranty coverage's provided.
  • Repair Parts - additional quantities of repair parts have been placed in inventory. Since this is a warranty extension only, we anticipate only a slight increase in demand after owners receive their notification letters.

so I just replaced my bearing last week, out of warranty and at the 3rd party shop cause i was out of warranty..... so how I do i go about bitching and getting a reimbursement?

edit:

nm, i read the bulliten. couldn't they have sent it otu 1 week earlier? grrrr

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

ditto. just to play devils advocate, can dealers refuse warranty work if there are mods to wheels and or suspension??

Wheels with an incorrect offset and/or the use of wheel spacers - Yes they can.

I received a form letter today from Subaru that extends the warranty on the rear wheel bearings for 8 years/100,000 miles. Also, if the repair has been done at the owners cost, the owner can be reimbursed by providing the usual proof of work order, etc.

Thanks for the info. At what mileage does this usually start appearing? I have only 21,000 on my '05.

somewhere between 2 miles and wherever you may be at. I had a front go around 15,000 and my rear just went at 63,000.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

i just got that letter in the mail couple days ago. nice of them to take years to put out some type of solution

History does not entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid

People sleep peacefully at night cause rough men stand ready to do violence on there behalf

Does anybody know if this warranty extension is also being offered by Subaru Hawaii?

hawaii is part of america so i would assume that is covered by SOA

People sleep peacefully at night cause rough men stand ready to do violence on there behalf

hawaii is part of america so i would assume that is covered by SOA

Nah. Hawaii has a different distributor. I have no idea if warranties are transferable between Hawaii and the mainland US - even the factory ones. Likely they have some reciprocal agreements like SOA and SCI.

Nah. Hawaii has a different distributor. I have no idea if warranties are transferable between Hawaii and the mainland US - even the factory ones. Likely they have some reciprocal agreements like SOA and SCI.

freakin weird

So what exactly does a bad wheel bearing sound like? I had the rears go bad in my Accord and they were so overwhelmingly loud that we thought the wheels were going to lock up at any moment.

My Legacy has a very slight humming noise that is coming from the rear. I couldn't remember if that had always been that way or not, but it's not loud at all.

• 2 weeks later...
So what exactly does a bad wheel bearing sound like? I had the rears go bad in my Accord and they were so overwhelmingly loud that we thought the wheels were going to lock up at any moment.

My Legacy has a very slight humming noise that is coming from the rear. I couldn't remember if that had always been that way or not, but it's not loud at all.

+1?

i have a noise also. i just dont want to mistaken it for tire noise. i know i have tire noise because it changes with the texture of the road. but i also have a noise thats more speed related.

it's now a warranty item. if you're unsure.......take it to the dealer and have them check it

I mentioned the humming noise and the wheel bearing extended warranty to Go Subaru and they wanted me to "schedule an appointment... When I had my DSM tthe Mitsu dealer would just send a tech to ride along to see if I needed an appointment...

[start sandbox]

I've taken my car to the dealer twice now (Burt Subaru) for what should have been considered warranty work (hot, oil burning smell). Both times they checked it out, said it all seemed good, and dismissed me with diagnostic fees and such to the tune of around $150. I mentioned that I thought it was under warranty and was told it's only free if they find something wrong, otherwise they have to charge me. I opened a case with SOA and was told the same thing.

[stop sandbox]

So I'd rather know exactly what it sounds like before I think about scheduling an appointment. There is definitely a humming from the rear, but nothing like when the wheel bearings went out in my Accord.

SSpeed.... your dealer sucks

Ha ha, I know... I first went to Go Subaru on Arapahoe for oil changes. Like to do them myself, but wanted to build rapport while under warranty. They grossly overfilled it twice and gave me wrong DIY parts on two occasions, so that was the end of going there.

So then I tried Burt Subaru on Broadway based on recommendations on LGT.com here. They are the ones who charged me each time on stuff that should be warranty work. They even tried to charge the $30 hazardous waste disposal when I had the driver's side seat warmer replaced... My experience with Subaru has been pretty sour...

Archived