LegacyGT.com

The correct way of fixing the dash rattle: TAKE IT APART!! (Took me 9 hours w/break)

christurismohk

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I've had a dash rattle for awhile and it got real bad after I installed LCA bushings. Haven't found the motivation to take apart the whole dash for these clips.

Got my windshield replaced the other day for $249 installed. While the tech had the old one out I peeked inside to see if I could see these clips.

There they were, whammo, right if front of my eyes.

Got some 3M Fast Tack glue and applied some to these dirtly little clips. Not a lot, a couple or three drops per.

Dash rattle is now gone.

Getting rid of the rattle is worth the $249 I paid for the new windshield.

I've had a dash rattle for awhile and it got real bad after I installed LCA bushings. Haven't found the motivation to take apart the whole dash for these clips.

Got my windshield replaced the other day for $249 installed. While the tech had the old one out I peeked inside to see if I could see these clips.

There they were, whammo, right if front of my eyes.

Got some 3M Fast Tack glue and applied some to these dirtly little clips. Not a lot, a couple or three drops per.

Dash rattle is now gone.

Getting rid of the rattle is worth the $249 I paid for the new windshield.

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Ive had my windshield out twice for broken ones.

But thanks next time Ill fix it. :)

$249, I assume you don't have a windshield wiper de-icer?

Yep, I got the heated windshield that comes with the limited. The dealer quoted me $379 for the glass and they could not install.

I called a local place that had the "heated" glass and install for $249 plus tax, plus they came to the house to do the work. :)

Seems fine so far, but I haven't had to use the wiper hot patch yet.

Yep, I got the heated windshield that comes with the limited. The dealer quoted me $379 for the glass and they could not install.

I called a local place that had the "heated" glass and install for $249 plus tax, plus they came to the house to do the work. :)

Seems fine so far, but I haven't had to use the wiper hot patch yet.

What was the brand of the Glass, does it say anywhere?

I had an FY windshield after a rock struck my OEM one.

The FY glass had a much lighter tint strip at the top than OEM and it was also rippled in several places. Trees on the horizon did the funhouse mirror thing as the car went over waves in the road.

I seem to recall the wiper heater getting hotter than before. Not sure how that would affect the longevity of the glass.

I had it removed and replaced with OEM Carlex ordered from the dealer two weeks later.

• 4 weeks later...

I will support the advice to take your time. I did not and was cleaning up last night only to find one screw under the floor mat. Needless to say, I still have a rattle, so I will have to take it back apart some day soon because I think this new rattle is worse than the first. Whoops!

Edit: I forgot the two screws behind the Gauge Cluster! Super quiet now!

Monk

Edited by monkonmonk

• 9 months later...

Wow I'm so glad to find this post! I've only owned my car for less than a month now but this dash rattle has been driving me nuts.

So I keep reading about these vacation pics, but I have no idea where to look for them. Anyone have a link?

BTW why are they called vacation pics?

Wow I'm so glad to find this post! I've only owned my car for less than a month now but this dash rattle has been driving me nuts.

So I keep reading about these vacation pics, but I have no idea where to look for them. Anyone have a link?

BTW why are they called vacation pics?

Because vacation pics. Try this next time to search this site: "[Google search query] site:legacygt.com"

• 1 year later...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkyxez2qi9I]

[/ame]

So I guess this is quieter on my computer than on my phone, but the second part comes through better, and with headphones it's pretty audible. In person it's way louder. I'm hoping this dash rattle goes away with this fix. Going to take everything apart tomorrow and wrap all those plugs and connectors up with gorilla tape and/or foam tape. I just had my Turbo and shortblock replaced within a week ago and they noticed my lower control arm bushings were shot. Once they replaced them, my dash started rattling like crazy.

I'll get some wide pictures of the dash out when I'm done.

Edited by WellsMcKenzie

I think I have two distinct dash rattles. One is the one that everyone is talking about, which mostly happens on rough roads and sounds like it's coming from the bottom of the windshield.

The other is kind of weird, because I swear it's coming from the top of the windshield, or where the windshield and headliner meet. I haven't been able to localize it exactly, but I'm pretty sure it's different from the other one.

Did you check both visors? Is the passenger seat belt hitting the door? Just trying to think of other things that can be causing a rattle. Is anything rolling around in your cupholder or glovebox?

I've had all of the above make rattling noises, just trying to offer easy checks.

Did you check both visors? Is the passenger seat belt hitting the door? Just trying to think of other things that can be causing a rattle. Is anything rolling around in your cupholder or glovebox?

I've had all of the above make rattling noises, just trying to offer easy checks.

It's not any of those things, and I'm pretty sure it's coming from somewhere around the edge of the windshield; I just haven't figured out exactly where yet. The noise is such that at first I thought it was the rubber on my crossbars flapping, but that's not it either. It's not a rattle, it's more like a buzz.

So I took it all apart, getting the dash apart and out took about 1.5 hrs and cleaning the plugs, getting them out, taping them up and putting foam on the back side and taping up the male ends of the connectors was about 30 min, and 1.25 hrs to put back together. I still have a rattle. I thought I taped stuff up well. It's definitely not the plug that's rattling, because that thing might never come out again. Wish I knew what caused the rattle. I guess when your turbo shaft breaks your dash rattles. Go figure.

Also, does anyone know whether or not you can drive a car without the dashboard? Since the airbag isn't connected would that cause problems? I really should've drove it first. All that work for nothing.

LFi4U0F.jpg

Here is a nice wide angle shot of the car without the dash.

LK5iXUI.jpg

I put gorilla tape on the firewall. This shit is pretty thick.

p9gg5BS.jpg

I used foam tape on the plugs, then put one layer of gorilla tape all the way around (not pictured).

DZ9fOLs.jpg

Keeping track of all my parts, placing them in the order I took them out.

86jXKUf.jpg

Use the proper tools if you don't want to break clips. The interior panel puller tool are so useful. I didn't even damage my plastidip. The rubber mallet was for shoving the plugs back in, because the tape made them really tight.

Edited by WellsMcKenzie
Images added in.

• 5 months later...
It's been warm out lately, and I decided to re attempt fixing my dashboard since I thought laziness would fix it. I actually ground down all of the plugs with an air powered grinder and an air drill with a rotary file. I am 100% free of rattles in my Outback XT and couldn't be happier. Thanks for posting this. Probably never would have fixed this problem if I hadn't come across the original post.