LegacyGT.com

Sticking Clutch Pedal

nd4mr2spd

I found a TSB that talks about fixing a sticking clutch pedal (doesn't return all the way out) by replacing the slave cylinder. - I apologize for being a skeptic but it seems that I can pump up the clutch and then I don't have any problems with it sticking.

I have tried to bleed the air out of the lines but haven't seen any air coming out yet (upper and lower bleed valves). thanks

BTW - 1997 Legacy GT Wagon

My friends 1998 GT does the same after thousands of dollars worth of work from a local body shop. Rebuilt entire engine and replaced (supposedly) everything to do with the clutch. Problem is that now his pedal sticks and the clutch catches all the way on the floor. Did this problem slowly develop for you or did it come on quickly (like after doing some work on the car)?

no - I bought this car for $250 and rebuilt the motor - it has done this from the day I put the engine in - I did find a tsb regarding replacing the slave cylinder (I think) to fix this - they're about 30 - 65 for them. I've already attempted to bleed the air out of the system because the clutch pedal seems to pump up and work fine - I'll keep you posted.

Cool deal, thanks. There are some other quirky bits about the clutch and he plans to have a reputable tranny shop take a good look at it. I'll post here if he gets that thing in the shop before you've found a solution.

I found a TSB that talks about fixing a sticking clutch pedal (doesn't return all the way out) by replacing the slave cylinder. - I apologize for being a skeptic but it seems that I can pump up the clutch and then I don't have any problems with it sticking.

I have tried to bleed the air out of the lines but haven't seen any air coming out yet (upper and lower bleed valves). thanks

BTW - 1997 Legacy GT Wagon

I had the same problem on my '00 Outback. Clutch would stick somewhat on the floor and then gradually release making the trans slip some. Dealer diagnosed it as a problem with the slave cylinder and a worn clutch. They replaced both, turns out the clutch still had over half the material left so it was fine. The slave cylinder was the problem all along. A $100-$200 repair turned into a $650+ repair because of the misdiagnosis.

• 3 years later...

Archived