LegacyGT.com

OMG! FlatironsTuning Track Days.

enthusiast

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone mentioned to me that there was a thread over here, so I wanted to chime in and thank everyone that has signed up so far.

I am always amazed how strong the Subaru community is here in Colorado, and how fast these events fill up. It is folks like you that allow us to convince Subaru to continue to put on these kind of events, so again, thank you all.

If anyone has any questions, please feel free to PM me, and we'll see you at the track.

J. Cooley

Flatirons Tuning

wow, it's been a whole year since i've seen you guys, time really flies! I had a blast last time when I flew out and visited you all. One of these days I'll drive out there in my GT.

That would be cool. however, with your track expierence you would probably smoke us all, lol.

from what i've read, kw's are the best in terms of driving comfort without any sacrifice of handling. They are pretty weather tolerable, inox-line stainless steel construction, and i am 90% sure a lifetime warranty. I was originally looking at HD/spring combinations, but never pulled the trigger as I didn't want a lowered car during winter - and all the other coilover options i was interested in (tein and megan were the affordable ones) seemed to be somewhat harsh on the driver. If you factor in the cost of all the other materials, a couple hundred extra is worth it - and I will 98% pull the trigger on mine's KWs if they aren't gone by next paycheck. :)

if we didn't live in colorado, I don't think I would do the kw's...

brian

Yeah good explanation. I am not sure what I want to do yet. I was thinking about H tein springs, but worried about the lowered ride height and rough ride in winter. Coilovers are too expensive, Id rather upgrade to a bigger turbo before buying coilovers. I might just go with a set of sway bars (front and rear). We will see.

I'm in your boat, for the money i'd either do sways with swifts/hd's or coilovers... Part of me still thinks it's overkill for someone like me to do coilovers, but the other part thinks it would be fun! :)

brian

I picked up my car last June and spent all summer concerned about the ride height being too low for winter. It has Tein S-Techs. I had even posted that I would give the S-Techs away if someone helped remove them for me and put on H-Techs.

Winter has come and gone and the low ride heighth was really a non-issue as it turns out. It certainly didn't stop or slow me down at all and did nothing to compromise safety. My bumper did not become a snow plow. Granted I didn't get up into the hills often, but for around-town driving the low ride with snow was no problem (especially with AWD and dedicated snows).

I've really come to love the way the car looks sitting on the S-Techs. However, I don't enjoy having to slow down for some road-bridge transitions, etc.

In sum, I think for the money the best compromise considering dollars, practicality, looks, and performance, H-Techs might be the way to go.

My '05 LGT

My '07 Supercharged Shelby

from what i've read, kw's are the best in terms of driving comfort without any sacrifice of handling. They are pretty weather tolerable, inox-line stainless steel construction, and i am 90% sure a lifetime warranty. I was originally looking at HD/spring combinations, but never pulled the trigger as I didn't want a lowered car during winter - and all the other coilover options i was interested in (tein and megan were the affordable ones) seemed to be somewhat harsh on the driver. If you factor in the cost of all the other materials, a couple hundred extra is worth it - and I will 98% pull the trigger on mine's KWs if they aren't gone by next paycheck. :)

if we didn't live in colorado, I don't think I would do the kw's...

Megan has 2 versions, the OB version is more comfortable than the sedan version. But with the OB version you can't lower the car much from stock height, ~0.25"-0.5" at most. I have the OB version on my car and with the softest setting it's pretty "stock-like" IMO. We can go for a ride at the next meet so you can get a feel for it...

Anyway, not sure if I want to do this track day or not. The ZCCC has 2 days at the new high plains raceway that I want to go to first.

Thanks art, I will take you up on that ride! Everyone with the megan's seems to complain about a harsh ride from what i've been reading, so it's good to have someone who drives the same roads I do say otherwise!

too many decisions!! :)

brian

I set up an account as Flatirons Tuning, but for some reason it wouldn't let me post.

So I am here incognito.

At any rate, I just wanted to thank everyone that has signed up. I am always amazed how fast these things fill up, and it just goes to show how strong the Subaru community is here in Colorado. It is your support that allows us to convince Subaru to continue putting on events like these.

Thanks again, and please feel free to e-mail me if you have any questions.

j.cooley@flatironsimports.com

Jon Cooley

Flatirons Tuning

Everyone with the megan's seems to complain about a harsh ride from what i've been reading,

The problem as I see is that the Megan's spring rate is too stiff for LGT's weight. IIRC, it's 6kg/cm front and 8kg/cm rear. For reference here is a list of popular aftermarket springs for the LGT:

This is what I dug up (someone correct me if I'm wrong)

Rate F, R

Stock - 3.5, 5.5

Pinks - 4, 6

Progress - 3.5, 5.8

Swift - 4.25, 6.6

Ion - 4.0-5.2, 6.7

Basically what this means is that you have to run zero pre-loads and set the dampers to one of the softest settings to make it livable on the street.

^ Thanks for clearing that up! Do you adjust your setting much - i.e. will you change your dampening to match the seasons/track days? Or are you content with the 'set it and forget it' routine?

I think I'm putting too much thought into this - have been trying to figure out the 'perfect' suspension set-up since winter - but still always ask myself "do I really need this?" or "am I ever going to push my car to the point where 'this' is needed?"

It seems that the megan's, some tein's are relatively equal to the cost of HD/spring/top hats combinations from the initial get-go, but there are some complexities/draw-backs of coilovers that can give someone like me a headache! (for example, a re-build) I just use my car to get to work, and the occasional mountain drive on weekends, and now the occasional track day (after I build up confidence in my driving/car set-up). I don't care about the 'go' as I'm satisfied being stg I, I just want the confidence from a good suspension/brake set-up! :)

btw, is anyone running rotors other than the DBA's? I ended up cancelling my order of the DBA's as they are on an insane backorder. I read that RacingBrake fixed the problems they were having with their rotors, but have yet to find people currently running them in my searches.... brakeswap has OEM replacements as well, but there is not much feedback on how they hold up on our lgt's. Brady, are your using RacingBrake rotors? I vaguely remember you replacing your OEM rotors with something other than the DBA's...

Cheers! :)

brian

^ Thanks for clearing that up! Do you adjust your setting much - i.e. will you change your dampening to match the seasons/track days? Or are you content with the 'set it and forget it' routine?

I tested out a few different settings when I first got the coilovers, but once I found the setting I like I pretty much left it as is. LGT is not my track car, but I do change the damper settings on the Z for track days. Changing the damper settings is fairly easy so you can do that before the track day and change it back afterwards. The preload and ride height on the other hand would take about a hour or two to change, not something that I would do regularly.

I set up an account as Flatirons Tuning, but for some reason it wouldn't let me post.

So I am here incognito.

At any rate, I just wanted to thank everyone that has signed up. I am always amazed how fast these things fill up, and it just goes to show how strong the Subaru community is here in Colorado. It is your support that allows us to convince Subaru to continue putting on events like these.

Thanks again, and please feel free to e-mail me if you have any questions.

j.cooley@flatironsimports.com

Jon Cooley

Flatirons Tuning

Thanks for coming over Jon. I received your email and quickly posted the link over here hoping to get some LGTs to come out also.

You are right about having a great Subaru community in Colorado!

UGH!!!! I don't have the $300 to fix my wheel bearing let alone the $700 for the shocks. At the end of the summer I should have plenty of $$$ to get new toys, but untill then, i'm below paycheck to paycheck.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

Thanks Subaru!!! A few days late on the mailings....

Just got a letter that says they are extending the warranty on the rear wheel bearings for 2005-2006 legacy and outback due to failures. So now I have to see if they'll reimburse me for having mine replaced at a non-dealership since my warranty was up and there was no reason to take it to the dealership anyways.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons