LegacyGT.com

Exhaust question

coolbluelb

Guest *Jedimaster*
I'm not concerned with the environment. The end is near. That's why I'm buying the most expensive Legacy I can get my hands on. They'll never see their money anyway.

[quote name='jedimaster']I'm not concerned with the environment. The end is near. That's why I'm buying the most expensive Legacy I can get my hands on. They'll never see their money anyway.[/quote] I don't feel bad at all. There are always people with 3 cats to cancel me out. :lol:

[quote name='Drift Monkey'][quote name='jedimaster']I'm not concerned with the environment. The end is near. That's why I'm buying the most expensive Legacy I can get my hands on. They'll never see their money anyway.[/quote] I don't feel bad at all. There are always people with 3 cats to cancel me out. :lol:[/quote] That's me Drift, I feel bad enough that my car only gets 25 mpg, call me a tree hugger if you like but big hulking SUV's are pointless piles of shite. This whole US freedom of choice on what vehicle you drive is BS also, we don't have the right to plunder the world's resources and pollute it's atmosphere, 12 mpg SUV's are unacceptable.

How about 7mpg Hummer H2's that weigh 6000+lbs and get tax incentives and credits? I absolutely agree Gumby. Guess I'm just trying to look at what we'll be handing our kids, grandchildren and so forth.

Sube, check [url]http://news.independent.co.uk/world/environment/story.jsp?story=525198[/url] this out, an article in a highly regarded London newspaper actually the one I read daily during the 4 years I lived there.

[quote name='jedimaster']I'm not concerned with the environment. The end is near. That's why I'm buying the most expensive Legacy I can get my hands on. They'll never see their money anyway.[/quote] Wow...I'm officially floored. My official stance (which won't surprise anyone) on gutting or removing cats is a) why, the car is plenty fast enough and b) we ALL have to do our parts for the environment, however small that part might be. This happened with the WRX, where people, following the rumor that a catless WRX would gain "50 horsepower, dude" were pulling cats, only to find that the car really wasn't that much faster. Some advice might be to do what I did, which is to talk to some guys at a performance exhaust shop. I did. They pulled the third cat section on the WRX, just to see what it was about, and said something to the tune of "Wow...this is 95% of a high-flow racing cat. Cool." Further, the Legacy has only two cats, rather than the three of the WRX (no up-pipe cat). As usual, it's just my .02, and I know it's really cool to think about yourself and not anyone else, but that just isn't my style. Oh, an Escalade might burn a lot of fuel, but it burns pretty cleanly. All contemporary cars do, even if they aren't LEVs like a stock WRX. Grandma will sign off now, with one final suggestion. If you want to make your cars faster, make the driver faster. Skip Barber offers some most excellent driving and racing courses that, having done them, I would highly recommend. Kevin

I would like to note that as the computers and O2 sensors get better and better, the chances of doing minor modifications and making more power are going to lessen and lessen. Removing/gutting a cat falls under that heading quite often on the newer vehicles. Cheers, Paul Hansen

That's why the ECU has to be tuned for nearly any modifications on the WRX already. They learn. BTW, I was under the impression the pre-turbo cat was still there in the new GT unlike the STi. The FXT I believe still has one.

• 2 weeks later...
Just for reference (if you don't take the tapered laminar flow into account), you'd want to keep a near-equal piping ID area such as area of 3" piping (if it were true 3" internal) = 7.07in^2. Divide by two = 3.035". Therefore each pipe rear of the split should be about 2.12" -> estimate that slightly larger (or if using a tapered system, which would actually work alright back there at 2" ID. Talking pipes and area of flow can be a rather confusing matter.

[quote name='jedimaster']I'm not concerned with the environment. The end is near. That's why I'm buying the most expensive Legacy I can get my hands on. They'll never see their money anyway.[/quote] Didn't you get the memo? The end has been postponed until 2030. [quote name='Drift Monkey']It'll probably be a while before any tuners offer reflashes now. The only problem I forsee is the wait![/quote] What exactly is involved in a "reflash"? Is that something I can do with my laptop and a cable or do I have to take it into a shop for a "tuner" to do?

[quote name='brady_bunch'][quote name='Drift Monkey']It'll probably be a while before any tuners offer reflashes now. The only problem I forsee is the wait![/quote] What exactly is involved in a "reflash"? Is that something I can do with my laptop and a cable or do I have to take it into a shop for a "tuner" to do?[/quote] CobbTuning will likely have an accessport for the Legacy, and all that involves is you picking the stage and a few parameters and flashing it with a hand-held device. Another type of reflashe are UTEC centered. This usually requires a tuner to tune your car according to it's modifications and desire outputs.

• 1 month later...

Archived