LegacyGT.com

Aftermarket head unit install?

specb338

I want to install an aftermarket head unit in my legacy, but considering the complexity of the factory radio/climate control/navigation system, I was thinking of putting my new head unit in a different place, maybe the glove compartment, or somewhere else, and just control my music from that location instead. Has anyone done something like this? Any suggestions as to where a new head unit would fit in the car?

A new headunit can be installed anywhere in the car you have the money to put it.:lol:;) Seriously. With that said, the glovebox would be the only location other than the stock location that would not be a nightmare for daily use, IMO, in a car that already has NAV installed in the dash.
ignore him, he'll go away.

• 2 years later...

Honestly, that's GREAT work you did on that. Seriously. But for the typical 'end user', that's waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much work for someone with limited knowledge. I've installed probably 20-25 car stereos into cars with ease, and I wouldn't even attempt to do what you did in that link.

I know you're proud of your accomplishment there, but there is a MUCH easier way to get a single or dual din aftermarket stereo into an LGT these days. And that answer is HERE. While it doesn't fit 100%, it does fit 99% and looks great when done.

This is for the people who do wan tto attempt this and have the talent. Is is a guide for them to follow. If you do not wish to use this solution, then don't do it - I would never recommend this to a novice. This is definitely a lot more than installing a stereo - you need more experience than this. It is risky, but with risk comes great reward. Bottom line: I would not recommend this to anyone who does not have the experience required to perform the wiring - if you have to ask yourself, then I would not attempt it.

• 1 year later...

I took this on. Thanks for the documentation LLBean!

Probably a bad idea for me to try, but it has been a fun challenge. Major time commitment - took me a while just to cut the board. I then spent the entirety of the past weekend soldering. I used to be a novice....now I can't close my eyes without seeing circuit board.

All I have left is the 11 pin plug solder back to the unit, then the moment of truth - the plugin. I've been methodical, but still only rate my chance of success at ~30%. I've wired every trace I can see. I wish there was a really good schematic or something - can't find one.

I PMed LLBean - there are a couple of connections on the front of the stereo section - I can't tell why those are there...

I have some pics, but will hold off on posting until I verify function. Don't want anyone to follow a bad example...

Edited by zman

holy crap - it worked!

Just did my test plugin - ac controls worked, but AC temp screen was not displaying. I bet those are the front connections I was asking about...

wow.

IMAG0234.jpg

IMAG0231.jpg

IMAG0232.jpg

Edited by zman

• 9 years later...

I am thrilled that I have this pdf from that link!

It's not even signed! Pure genius and skill!

Wow, thank you to whoever put that together and fantastic job!

Here I am looking at another Parrot MKI9000 refurbished unit after I was rocking one for a few years that finally broke. Not wanting another temporary stereo solution. Converting to a standard double din available form factor is the way to go.

It's hard to justify $300+ just for correcting Subarus design that ignores a large customer base with their integrated climate and stereo.

I see what people say and do, but being a pretty capable risk taker with now a long history of time consuming car mods, I basically thought I'd figure out what no one could.. Then I see this thread with that pdf in the link and that I was beaten to it. Honestly, I would not have gone to those lengths and been successful pioneering that!

I've worked in automotive engineering test centers for 2 big names and I can say that doesn't help At All for anything like this. Each company does something unique on all their models and we modifiers get lucky when certain trends or compatibilities are found.

I think my wife would hate me more if I followed these steps considering the time it would take me.

Still glad to have the instructions in hand though!

Totally left torn with what to do.

For now I just have a bluetooth board connected to an amp.

Which works, but sometimes volume is an issue.

Has anyone already identified what the climate actuators actually need to be driven for making a diy control? Are they connected with the can bus system in some way that ruins everything? Stepper controlled gates? Ultimately I'm thinking, fan, hot and cold heat exchangers, and some gates to modulate air flow paths.

Sigh.

What about using the non-turbo manual controls. What about this doesn't work?

So I decided I'd take mine apart and see about doing this.

I got the circuit board on my desk in front of the guide and this thread.

I didn't realized the two outer knobs are already separate boards with jumper wires.

But now I get that the hard work is super tiny wires.

Hats off to you guys. I draw the line at solder work that small.

My questions above would be nice to know about still though.

I went the aftermarket route with the link zmarko tossed in with the JDM kit. My car did not come with the Nav so I'm not sure how much extra difficult it makes replacing the radio. You can always remove the nav and go with a tablet install in that area to compliment the aftermarket radio.