LegacyGT.com

Valve Cover Gasket

DPSubie

I went ahead and replaced my head gasket covers today instead of paying the dealership to do it for $180. Parts cost me about $32 at schucks and about 2 hours or so of time. It was a pretty easy process to do and I couldn't have asked for a better day to do it (weather wise). I found an excellent 'how to do' with pics in case anyone else is needing to do this as well. http://www.rs25.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51254&highlight=valve+cover

And the best part of the day, I think my wheel bearing went out on me on the way to pick up the parts. I'm lookin at about $400 to get that fixed now. :mad:

What the dealership told me is that it can cause stalling and bogging down of the engine. You can tell they are bad by the noticeable oil when you pull out the spark plug boots. From what I've read around is that it's quite a common problem among the older subies. Not really sure about the newer ones.

Wow, SOHC looks wrong :confused:

DOHC is a slighty harder job, i got mine done about a month ago. Then the engine blew and i got to take it all apart again. On the plus side, it's MUCH easier to do them when the engines out, and they are still new and re-usable :D

Oh, we call them Rocker cover's in NZ for some reason... lol.

• 1 year later...

You can get it out with the engine still in. It just needs a little convincing. The harder part is getting it back in without knocking the gasket!

Have you taken out the battery and battery tray? That helps you maneuver it more.

Oil weeping from somewhere around the valve cover gasket. Generally these don't go bad, but it is a good idea to replace them if the valve covers are removed (like when adjusting valves).

I don't know about that. These things always go bad as the car ages. Subaru's are known for oil leaks.

What the dealership told me is that it can cause stalling and bogging down of the engine. You can tell they are bad by the noticeable oil when you pull out the spark plug boots. From what I've read around is that it's quite a common problem among the older subies. Not really sure about the newer ones.

Yep.

[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

• 1 year later...
I never gave valve cover gaskets a thought. What's the replacement like on a 2005 LGT?

If you find that just PM it to me. I have been looking at doing it for sometime now. I might just create my first posted DIY if one doesnt exist.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived