LegacyGT.com

Which AWD system do we have?

So I heard from people on this forum that we have tail happy handling because our torque split is 55/45, however after careful inspection of the Subaru webpage and my window sticker it says that the 5-speed legacy gt limited has the continuous AWD system. Can someone help clarify with me what exactly it is in our cars, continuous, active, or VTD? Thanks!

It is not active in the sense of computer controlled like the AWD system in the new Acura RL. However, because of the viscous center differential, wheel slippage at either end will direct power to the opposite axel. Similarly, the viscous rear diff will shift power away from a slipping wheel to the other. So while the system is not pro-active in moving torque around, it is certainly reactive to changing conditions.

Errr you confused me even more. So far; my best understanding for the Subaru AWD systems on the Legacy is:

CÖNTÍNÜÖU$ - 2.5i and 2.5 GT equipped with the 5 speed manual tranny. The power split is 50-50 but should wheel slippage occur; power is transfered to the axle with more grip (up to a 30-70; 70-30 split - if I am to interpret graphically some other Subaru "Macromedia flash" though I may have read of an up to 10-90 ; 90-10 split). And this is thanks to our midship ltd. slip diff. With out limited slip rear differential we can also transfer torque side-to-side depending on traction at either wheel; again not fully to one wheel but we can certainly redistribute it. Again; retroactively; not pro-active like the Acura RL)

ÄKTIVÉ for the 2.5i models equipped with the 4EAT - elektronically monitored, double clutch shit.

VTD for the 2.5 GT models with 5EAT this one has an initial dry-best traction setting of 45% front and 55% rear split...Instead of a viscous center diff.; these models sport some planetary gear type diff that ctrls. pwr. distrib in a manner similar to that found on the 5MT models. Front-Rear variable and rear side-to-side.

You think the Acura can sense road conditions in the future? That would be pretty cool. I think they should focus on telling the driver what thes tock market is going to do next, not the friction coeficient of the road 50 feet ahead :lol:

No; i think we're all referring to ACURA's torque transfer in response to steering input; NOT necessarily to traction loss.

Yes, but it is not "anticipating the road conditions" It only sends power side to side during cornering, at least according to Acura:

"Helps steer the vehicle and enhances its maneuverability. It helps compensate for understeer (push) or oversteer (the rear end feels loose), when cornering. The RL feels agile and nimble and tracks smoothly through turns without unnecessary steering correction. It sends up to 70% of the engine's torque to the front or rear wheels, but it can also send up to 100% of that same rear-wheel torque to either the left or right outside-rear wheel when cornering. It will even accelerate the outside rear wheel to enhance handling while cornering."

Yeah, but the 5MT Subaru AWD is a dumb, living-in-the past system. Only one step above in terms of ability versus the FWD until slippage occurs AWD systems. It is 50/50, but only adjusts from that if slip happens.

Acura on the other hand is continually adjusting based on information from, "sensors to detect steering angle, lateral g, and other vehicle information and determines the optimum front-rear and lateral (left-right) torque distribution."

So if you are cranking on the brakes and then toss the wheel over hard in the Subaru, power isn't going to start moving until the wheels break traction. In the Acura, the torque is already set to optimum before the wheels let go. Even when they do let go, I bet the Acura is going to be faster in adjusting the torque, especially when the driver changes inputs.

Put another way, the Acura doesn't see the curve three hundred feet ahead, is just actively responds (how quickly I wonder) to the driver hitting the brakes, tapping for downshifts and starting the turn. The Subaru 5MT is snoring soundly until the scream of the RE92s wakes it up.

-B

Sort of like the wheel, that's old too :lol:

It is superior to FWD beacause of the 50-50 split.

The Acura system is superior unless the algorithm isn't right for the exact situation, the movement of torque causes a problem by itself (Swedish flick anyone?), also there is a time delay for the clutches to work even if they are electrically operated.

The Acura system is very nice and the SH part is quite clever, but I don't know why one would assume it is better just because it is new.

Archived