LegacyGT.com

How The Dual-Zone Climate Control Works

c_hunter

Here's my question: I always use manual mode, and set the right temp for me, but every time for some reason A/C kicks in and I don't even need it. I mean, I set the temp at about 23-24C when it's only about 10C outside, and I don't need A/C running at that temp, why does it kick in? I complained to my dealer which is 100 miles from where I live as soon as I bought the car about this issue, and they said that this car has sensors so that's normal. I ask the guy, well, why is it called manual mode if the A/C kicks in on it's own and sensors are being used, and he shruged and said it's normal. wtf? Why is every problem NORMAL to Subaru?

Here's my question: I always use manual mode, and set the right temp for me, but every time for some reason A/C kicks in and I don't even need it.
The automatic climate control system is manual only for each function that you set manually. It sounds like you didn't set the A/C manually.

The automatic climate control system is manual only for each function that you set manually. It sounds like you didn't set the A/C manually.

Okay! How do I set the A/C manually then?

This is what I do: everything is off. Hit the fan button twice to bring the fan to 2nd speed. Everything is nice until an A/C kicks in for no reason. Sometimes, I'll turn the temp down about 1-2C and A/C will just kick in.

If this is normal, how do I set the A/C manually then?

I'm sorry, but my 07 Spec B's climate control is the worst I've ever used.

My Saab, Corvette, Envoy, and even my 04 STi's "semi-automatic" modes were infinitely better.

In all of my other cars, I could set it at one temperature and pretty much be comfortable year-round.

In the Legacy, some days 72 is too cold, and others 69 is too hot. Making it 10 times worse is that since I have to fiddle with the knob all the time to stay comfortable, I have to change two twitchy knobs to keep it from blowing hot air next to me and cold air at my feet.

It significantly detracts from an otherwise great car. I would kill for the ability to tie the two knobs together so I don't have to look down all the time to keep them in sync. I've taken to just leaving the whole climate control off to avoid it deciding to blast hot air in my face randomly.

Press the A/C button. If that leaves it in a state (on or off) that you don't want, press it again.

That's what I do, but after a while A/C still kicks in, sometimes on its own, sometimes I turn the temp down 1-2C, but still, that shouldn't trigger the A/C.

Delaer said, "It's normal".

That's what I do, but after a while A/C still kicks in, sometimes on its own, sometimes I turn the temp down 1-2C, but still, that shouldn't trigger the A/C.

Delaer said, "It's normal".

All I can say is that after setting the A/C off manually, I've never had it come back on. The exception is if I thereafter select Defrost, either using the Mode button or by pressing the Defrost button (upper half of the right circular knob). Then if I still want the A/C off I press A/C again.

That's not the case with my car. I hit the fan + twice to bring it up to 2nd speed. If A/C kicks in, I hit A/C button to turn it off. After driving a while, A/C will kick in on its own, OR if I (sometimes, again) turn temp down a bit. I don't wanna sound bitchy about these problems, I know any car is not perfect, but FIX THE GODDAMN THING!!!! WHY do I ALWAYS have to get "IT'S NORMAL" answer, or "problem didn't appear when rep took it for test drive', or 'we fixed it and problem didn't reapear' and as soon as I sit in the goddamn car I see the problem is still there.

*uck that, if some ppl here don't mind that, they can keep buying these cars - I won't!!!!

• 1 month later...

Malimx6m,

Your not crazy. I notice the same thing. Today I get in the car and press the fan speed "up" to bring the system online. Its about 32 degree's outside and I always leave the unit on "floor and middle vent". I will be driving and notice that when the car's oil temp reaches "normal", the A/C turns itself on. The temp is set for 73 degrees and it still on "bi-level" but the car has decided that the A/C needs to be on. I will reach down and turn it off because I dont understand why the car needs to "cool" the interior because its NO WHERE near 73 degrees inside! Its really frustrating especially with the gas mileage not being great as it is, but I dont want the A/C sucking more fuel when its 32-33 degree's outside and its not near the desired temp inside. Not a well designed system if you ask me and ALL it would take is a software update to correct this issue. The two more annoying things in my car are the Climate Controls being stupid and the 2nd / 3rd gear stuttering.

Is there any way to synchronize to driver and passanger temps so that only only have to adjust one to change both?

Loop a large rubber band (rubber binder to some of you) around both temp rings so it looks like a tank tread.

It is still ugly.

Anyone have any pics of where the temp sensor is for the interior? I'm going to take apart the right side of the console as I've been told that's where it is (small slits in the left side plastic cover). I've got to find some way of controlling the heat. It's -22 deg F here so it's either hot air (set control at 66), or artic (set control to 65..the lowest) on the way to work. Yes, after 25 minutes it finally stabalizes and the interior sensor finally "warms up", but then I'm at work...

Can you get the manual controls with MP3 capability (play mp3 disks)? I didn't think that option was available.

Anyone have any pics of where the temp sensor is for the interior? I'm going to take apart the right side of the console as I've been told that's where it is (small slits in the left side plastic cover). I've got to find some way of controlling the heat. It's -22 deg F here so it's either hot air (set control at 66), or artic (set control to 65..the lowest) on the way to work. Yes, after 25 minutes it finally stabalizes and the interior sensor finally "warms up", but then I'm at work...

Can you get the manual controls with MP3 capability (play mp3 disks)? I didn't think that option was available.

Caramall - see below. Try this if you haven't already. I have not had a problem regulating the temp since using this approach....

Repost: My heater was running hot too but I stumbled on to something that took care of the problem, and it is real simple. Instead of setting the Mode to where the heat is only coming from the lower vents or the upper and lower vents, set it to where it's coming out of the lower vents plus the defrost vents. When you set it to that mode, the A/C light will come on but you can just hit the A/C button to turn it off. I have not had a problem with getting cooked since I started doing this. Now, the 70 degree setting is quite comfy, where before if I had it at 66, it was very warm and I needed to crack at least one window or the sunroof.

Many people have also complained about running the defroster in the summer, since it wants to blow warm air and quickly heats up the interior when that is the last thing you want. If you use the same mode setting as above (lower vents plus defrost vents), but leave the A/C light on, you will find that it defrosts with much cooler air.

Thanks for the response. I do have it set to foot/lower vent and defrost. That does help and is a good tip, but I still get too warm (though it's not terrible). I sometimes set the passenger for 65 and mine for 66, but kind of crazy with warm and artic air coming out at once. I sometimes long for my accord to just manually set the mixer exactly where I want it...

People rank on Hondas here all the time. But I have to say when I drove our Accord V6 last week, the ACC is completely automatic. I never have to move the temp once set. And the passenger's zone is slaved to the driver's side.

For all Subaru's efforts to move upmarket, this is a poorly controlled system even compared to the cheapest cars on the market.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

I agree, the ATC in my wifes new Sonata is superior to any of the others I have had by a longshot. Maybe Subaru needs to start paying attention.

BTY I even went as far as tearing the dash apart and installing a micro fan to force air into the induction system with still the same lousy results.:(