LegacyGT.com

How The Dual-Zone Climate Control Works

c_hunter

I didn't read through this whole thread, since I am searching it while at work on my phone. But is there a button combination to turn off full auto /auto? I don't want my climate controls on auto but I can't find anything to turn it off. I have a2013 legacy. If it is in this thread please just let me know, I'll look through this later when I get home.

Thanks

For the temperature control, not that I know of. It's automatic, period. The best we can do is tweek the temp controls to keep the car the temperature we want since it doesn't seem to hold a constant temperature inside. Very lame.

But for the rest, if you change a setting it takes that control out of automatic. For example, if you set the fan blower speed, then that's the speed and it doesn't change unless you go back to fill automatic.

I didn't read through this whole thread, since I am searching it while at work on my phone. But is there a button combination to turn off full auto /auto? I don't want my climate controls on auto but I can't find anything to turn it off. I have a2013 legacy. If it is in this thread please just let me know, I'll look through this later when I get home.

Thanks

There's an "auto" button on the HVAC controls, no? I know on my 2005 if I hit the auto button it will take it out of auto mode.

I never used auto anyway. I found that if I got into a cold car and wanted the temp to be at 20* the system would try to do this by blowing air faster instead of the more preferable method of blowing hotter air more slowly until the set point is reached, then back off the hot air mix.

• 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...

How do I avoid having the windshield fog up when parked at night?

I meet with some friends for late appies every week and when I get back to the car on a cold night, my car is always the last one to clear the inside of the windshield. Everyone else hops into their cars and drives off right away, mine takes forever to clear.

Any tricks to reduce the condensation build up?

Ok, I've been driving for more than a couple of weeks ;)

Yes, I have the A/C on when I clear the window.

Are people finding it better to leave the recirc set to fresh? Is there a preference for what air direction the system should be left at when shutting it off?

:p

not that I have any science behind it, but I use fresh air, and the only way i've been able to get the system to come up in "fresh air" when i use it again by hitting the fan speed button is to leave it in the combined defrost/feet mode. any other mode, when you turn the car back on it's in recirc, potentially with the A/C on

• 2 weeks later...

It is usually better to use outside (fresh) air when trying to get rid of moisture inside the car (like when the windows fog up), at least when it is cold outside.

Think about it this way - There is a water inside the car in the form of vapor (there is always some moisture in the air) and in the form of liquid (the tiny droplets of water that have condensed on the cold windows, making them fog up). To get rid of the water inside the car, it works best to blow warm, dry air through the car. The dry air will absorb that moisture, helping to de-fog those windows.

Air looses its ability to carry water vapor the colder it gets. So, when the outside air temperature is really cold, it doesn't have too much water in it (it's absolute humidity is low, even if it's "relative humidity" is reported as being high). When that cold, dry air is brought into the car and is warmed up by the heater, it then becomes air that is still dry (same absolute humidity) but now has a larger capacity to carry moisture because it is now warmer. So, as the heated, dry air passes by the fogged windows, it absorbs that moisture more readily and de-fogs faster.

Using the air conditioning unit while heating (in order to de-fog) is the same concept. The air conditioning works by a drying out the air too. It works by pulling moisture out of the air directly via "phase change" (changing the vapor in the air into a liquid that condenses onto the air conditioning core - "evaporator"). Air at a certain temperature and humidity level will have an defined dew point temperature. If that air comes into contact with an object that is at that dew temperature, or colder, the water vapor in the air will condense onto that object. In this case, the air conditioning evaporator coil. The downside of that is the liquid that condenses has to be collected and routed out of the vehicle. All car evaporators have a drain tray built into/under them and a tube that routes the condensate out the car, usually through the firewall. So, if the air conditioning evaporator comes before the heater core, the air is first dried out, and then heated up, giving you warm, dry air that has a greater capacity to absorb water and allows you to "de-fog" faster.

So, is it better to use both fresh air and A/C at the same time? Sometimes, sometimes not. If it is really cold outside and you are bringing in 100% outside air, then the air conditioning evaporator surface temperature is likely above the dewpoint of the entering air and will not dry out that air any further. It won't provide any additional benefit by running it.

So when I leave the car parked, should I leave the climate control on fresh air?

I understand the idea behind getting rid of the condensation when getting back to the car and starting it up, but I'd like to keep it to a minimum while I'm away from the car so I don't have to wait ten minutes before I can drive it.

So when I leave the car parked, should I leave the climate control on fresh air?

I understand the idea behind getting rid of the condensation when getting back to the car and starting it up, but I'd like to keep it to a minimum while I'm away from the car so I don't have to wait ten minutes before I can drive it.

I never really thought about whether leaving the climate control in "fresh air" mode would help to minimize fogging when parked - maybe a little?

You should not have too much fogging on the inside when you come back. If it is fogging up badly inside, then the root cause of the problem is that there is excess moisture in the interior of the car. That has to come from somewhere - a small leak, wet carpet, etc. The other common source is from using the A/C to defrost (ironically). With use, the evaporator gets dirty. With some cars, the fresh air inlet will suck debris from the outdoors into the entrance of the evaporator coil too. I haven't looked at the routing for our cars though. This can cause moisture to be retained in the evaporator core and I have seen it get bad enough that it clogs the drain tube. Have you ever used the A/C for defrosting, parked the car, and then witnessed fogging soon afterwards, starting at the base of the windshield, just above the windshield defrost air outlets? This is an indication that your evaporator core is not draining properly and driving moisture back into your car's interior when parked. I actually like to minimize using the A/C to defrost for this reason. After the windows are defrosted, I turn off the A/C and try to use just outside air and heat to maintain, turning on A/C again only if needed. This method might help your situation if you are using A/C to defrost.

I was never a fan of automotive A/C. The evaporators are typically buried deep in the dash and hard to get to. They really do need a good cleaning out sometimes, even if its just once in a blue moon.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Sorry if this is discussed anywhere, but I can not find it.

I have 06 GT and when I turn frond defogger on (button) the system will blow warm air, even though the setting is all the way to 65.

If I select the mode for windshield and legs, air is cold and air conditioned.

Is this a normal behavior, or my system is broken.

All other settings for Mode behave as expected.

Thanks for advise.

The only time you would need to turn on your front defogger/defroster is if your windows are frosted/fogged, and the only time your windows would be frosted/fogged is if they were cold... soooo... why wouldn't you want it to be hot....?

Well, in Minnesota in the summer it is humid, when temp is getting lowered (or raining), from the humidity windshield will fog up. usually in the situations like that I am running AC to dry and cool the car. It is very uncomfortable to have warm air blow from the vents in the hot humid car, when I am trying to dry it and defog the windshield.

What you say makes sense too so I would not be too surprised if Subaru built this "feature" in.