LegacyGT.com

How The Dual-Zone Climate Control Works

c_hunter

Please, clue me into HOW to make the VENT mode not HEAT the incoming air.

Straight up old fashion VENT mode. No heat, just the outside air what ever that temp... coming through the system. I dare ya!

Cheers, Mike

|`94 E-Class Coupe |`98 Carrera 993 C2S |`14 Cayman S |`20 Outback Touring XT | All Debadged |

1) Turn on full auto

2) Turn both dials down to 65

3) Press OFF

4) Press the MODE button to change it to the front vents

That's as good as it gets. When the car is moving, the air will be only slightly above ambient temperature. When you're sitting still, it'll still get a bit hot until the vents cool off. The intake vents are located under the hood, which is why it gets so damn hot no matter what.

another way is to use the fan speed arrows to turn on the system, turn A/C off if it's on, turn temp all the way down, make the mode on fresh air (not recirc)... bam. if you turn the system off it should keep the fresh air vents open.

another way is to use the fan speed arrows to turn on the system, turn A/C off if it's on, turn temp all the way down, make the mode on fresh air (not recirc)... bam. if you turn the system off it should keep the fresh air vents open.

And,,,, if the fan is turned on, then we're back to the "heated" vent mode?

PS, guy's thanks for the effort. Our first Subi prevokes a Luv/Hate relationship with those that drive the car. Its Subaru's lame/rush attempt at an upmarket dual/auto climate control. Its a POS. These dual/automatic type of HVAC systems in cars have long been sorted out decades ago; with the MY05 Outback LTD XT, etc, SOA was chasing the upscale market. I recall our 1st dealer visit which was for the HVAC operation - the car was no more than two weeks old .... what a joke! Months later Subaru America changed out the haywire HVAC/radio module, and then a year later once again as the HVAC module stopped entirely. Its an inexpensive funky Panasonic OE .. POS.

Edited by M. Schneider

Cheers, Mike

|`94 E-Class Coupe |`98 Carrera 993 C2S |`14 Cayman S |`20 Outback Touring XT | All Debadged |

I couldn't agree more. The HVAC is a very bad joke, made worse by Subaru seeming to either not care about or not notice the very bad reports about the system. Oh well, if that's all I can complain about, I guess that's pretty good. I still don't see a car/wagon I'd rather have.

Its Subaru's lame/rush attempt at an upmarket dual/auto climate control. Its a POS. These dual/automatic type of HVAC systems in cars have long been sorted out decades ago; with the MY05 Outback LTD XT, etc, SOA was chasing the upscale market. I recall our 1st dealer visit which was for the HVAC operation - the car was no more than two weeks old .... what a joke! Months later Subaru America changed out the HVAC/radio modual, and then again. POS.

The real problem with Subaru's HVAC system is that the temperature sensor(s) don't work right...including the light sensor on the top of the dash. Otherwise, it's actually quite intelligent. If you notice, when it's in heating mode, it switches automatically to the foot vents, because heat rises. That's the quickest way to get the car warm. And when it's time for the AC to kick on, it switches to front venting mode.

If they just fixed the damn sensors or put more of them around the car, it'd get a more accurate read on the actual "felt" temperature from the driver.

I tried mine this morning on way to work. With HVAC turned off, hit the mode button and the recirc buttons. Seems to change the flappers for fresh air only. Not sure if the flappers to the heater core close or if they stay in the last used position per the temp setting.

Our OB XT is presently at the airport outside parking lot. When the OB car get's home tonight I'll try the "vent" practices as suggested.

Its an OK car at best as the Bilstein BTS kit was pricey, a great suspension enhancement to be sure BUT how in the hell did SOA let this XT model with a turbo charged 250hp/250tq engine get out the door with this lack luster suspension, not to mention the weakest brakes of the Outback series... Go figure? Ok the bean counter's had their way. So make the brake/suspension enhancements easy and or available. Don't get me started as I hate this car.

And Audi USA won't bring in the newest S6 wagon. Now that's a sports wagon. I miss our MY95.5 UrS6 wagon; I drove that uber ski wagon for ten years - great car!

And then I made the dopey OB XT purchase....what a mistake. So glad my wife was willing to make it the airport car....Let it sit in the sun baked parking lot... POS. I got the royal run around by Subaru of America with the HVAC, and that was at the begining of the series production. I recall Autoweek printing in their test report something I had shared, "How did this HVAC get into production?" - I mean,,, how did this HVAC get "passed" for production?

Edited by M. Schneider

Cheers, Mike

I have zero problems with my HVAC system. I don't use auto mode. I just set the temp to what I'm comfortable at and pretty much forget it. :iam:

Then you must be retarded.

Cheers, Mike

My only issue with our system that I believe is a disadvantage is the fact their is no auto passenger mode. Like nissan has. Where the passenger side mimics that if the driver. Instead you have to set each individually. That's my only complaint with our dzcc.

The real problem with Subaru's HVAC system is that the temperature sensor(s) don't work right...including the light sensor on the top of the dash. Otherwise, it's actually quite intelligent. If you notice, when it's in heating mode, it switches automatically to the foot vents, because heat rises. That's the quickest way to get the car warm. And when it's time for the AC to kick on, it switches to front venting mode.

If they just fixed the damn sensors or put more of them around the car, it'd get a more accurate read on the actual "felt" temperature from the driver.

I 100% agree with both if these statements. Otherwise the automatic climate control works well.

I have yet to find one that works as well as the one in my 3000GT VR-4 it will actually blow heated air at your feet and cool air at your face and it has like 9 levels of fan control.

2003 Baja 5MT

2016 Outback 2.5i Premium w/Eyesight

this is what I do:

press fan up arrow to turn on system.

put it on "Fresh air" mode.

i usually leave it on the foot or the foot/defroster setting, but it's worked on the front vent setting too

make sure A/C is turned off.

if i want just outside air, set temp knobs to 65

if i want it set to the temp i like, set knobs to 67-71 depending on how cold it is outside and how warm i want it.

i have no issues with the climate control using this process. with using the A/C in the summer, i can get the car as hot or cold as i would like it.

the only thing that bothers me is how easily the car fogs up after rain storms.

Our OB XT is presently at the airport outside parking lot. When the OB car get's home tonight I'll try the "vent" practices as suggested.

Its an OK car at best as the Bilstein BTS kit was pricey, a great suspension enhancement to be sure BUT how in the hell did SOA let this XT model with a turbo charged 250hp/250tq engine get out the door with this lack luster suspension, not to mention the weakest brakes of the Outback series... Go figure? Ok the bean counter's had their way. So make the brake/suspension enhancements easy and or available. Don't get me started as I hate this car.

And Audi USA won't bring in the newest S6 wagon. Now that's a sports wagon. I miss our MY95.5 UrS6 wagon; I drove that uber ski wagon for ten years - great car!

And then I made the dopey OB XT purchase....what a mistake. So glad my wife was willing to make it the airport car....Let it sit in the sun baked parking lot... POS. I got the royal run around by Subaru of America with the HVAC, and that was at the begining of the series production. I recall Autoweek printing in their test report something I had shared, "How did this HVAC get into production?" - I mean,,, how did this HVAC get "passed" for production?

This is a little harsh. Honestly, I rarely have to turn it off of 70-71 degrees. I just wish it had a single zone CC mode. Other than that, I still really enjoy my car.

• 3 months later...

For those complaining about the sync/dual option in the previous generation, it's been fixed in the current generation. There's a dual button that has an orange light to signify it's on. It can be activated two ways: one is to push the button. The other is to push on the arrows on the passenger side.

- Also, There's a LO (below 60) and HI (above 90), where it will blow maximum fans at coldest/hottest air possible at ALL times.

I also have a previous gen ACC, and minus the duality knobs, it's a pretty easy system and not all that lame. Temperature range is adequate for the temperate climate I'm in. A/C will work to dehumidify the air, (removing the fog on the windshield) and the fans can be adjusted as necessary.

Edited by BlazingAsura
To make sentence clearer

"What's God, if not the spark that started life?"

~ Last Ride of the Day by Nightwish

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I'm wondering if it would be possible to modify the climate control unit to work independently, as it already does, or in sync with the drivers setting. I think I might hack up my old factory radio to stmee if I can get it working. Anybody else think it's possible?

• 2 months later...
This is a little harsh. Honestly, I rarely have to turn it off of 70-71 degrees. I just wish it had a single zone CC mode. Other than that, I still really enjoy my car.

Harsh ? I'm being kind to Subaru.

The Subaru Bean counters and Marketing departments both got their way; Offer a Dual Automatic HVAC in the high trim model - like the market competitors - and at the cheapest price that Panasonic OEM could offer, regardless of the known operational short comings. ... Nonsense, “harsh” doesn’t begin to describe the many operational short comings of the OB XT production Dual HVAC.

Competent Dual HVAC systems offered in cars have worked well for decades, competence cost’s money and the Subaru OB XT dual HVAC isn’t close.

Edited by M. Schneider

Cheers, Mike

• 2 weeks later...