LegacyGT.com

Group N engine mounts

Has anyone replaced their engine mounts with STI Group N hardened ones? I have a set and I'm in the process of replacing the tranny mount at the same time, but the mounts look different, and the engine cradle is in the way to get at the back bolt.

Just looking for anyone with any experience doing this and their comments.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I remember LBGT getting those at PDX, who installed them.

Thinking I might like them as well I talked to Sean at Rallitek and he said they had them but I would need .... here is what he said:

'Group n' or 'sti' engine mounts are what you are after. To make them work with our Legacys you will also need the brackets that mount the STi mounts to the engine.

Looking at my car from underneath it looks like one heck of a job. I'm still debating the worth.

I did install the transmission insert from Rallitek, however. It added significantly to the stability of the drivetrain.

Only way I can see getting it done is by actually lifting the engine to get at the back bolts that hold it in. Looks like the Impreza chassis has the engine cradle with a lip that folds down away from the engine, whereas the Legacy's folds up and blocks access to the bolts. It might be able to actually drop the lower part of the cradle itself, with the engine suspended, but then you're really just doing an extra step.

My set of engine mounts came with the plate, though I'm not 100% sure if this is the same one you're talking about.

http://www.thekingofparts.com/catalog/10-2-engine-motor-mounts.jpg

Combined with PSRS and tranny mounts it will give the car a whole new feel.

The stock mounts are fine for a stock engine. With more power comes more movement.

These will also increase NVH, which to some is not a good thing.

Need forum help? Private Message legGTLT

• 1 month later...

muwhahahahah.

Just completed installing these. It was much easier than I originally thought.

Everybody should drop what they are doing right now, get a set of the group N engine mounts and install them. They add almost no NVH (at least compared to what the pitch stop adds), and gives the engine so much more response.

And here's how you do it:

1. First, remove your down pipe.

2. Disconnect the pitch stop from the engine. If you can do this with out removing your intercooler great, I had to take mine off.

3. Take your exhaust manifold off. I would recommend taking the uppipe off at the same time for more clearance, but I don't know if it is necessary, I took mine off anyways.

4. Remove the two nuts that hold the stock engine mounts to the subframe.

5. Get yourself a jack and a piece of scrap wood, and place it under the tranny between the braces. You need to place here because you're going to be jamming you face in the engine area.

6. Jack it up high enough that the studs on the mounts clear. Be careful here. I did this on ramps which probably wasn't real safe. It unloads the weight of the engine from the suspension so it rises for a while before the engine lifts.

7. Undo the front bolts that hold the mount to the engine.

8. Undo the rear bolts. This is where most of the sti guys would just reach around the back of the subframe and get their tools in. But the subframe on the legacy is shaped differently, so you have to go in from the front. So make sure you have the engine jacked up enough to get you ham fist in there.

9. Wiggle the old mounts out.

10. Install the new mounts (hopefully you assembled them ahead of time). They are labeled and only fit one way. Make sure the stud on the bottom lines up with the slot in the subframe.

11. Reverse order of these steps. (tighten bolts to whatever you can, you're not going to get a torque wrench in there.)

here are some less than helpful pictures.

jack.jpg.703da45bc87c599b0848165a5154243f.jpg

clearance.jpg.8cd4733b44f59c85942e02b88e3960ad.jpg

front-bolt.jpg.c0c2bc520bf75bad8566acc6975aa0b0.jpg

back-bolt.jpg.4692396d74e4b6518a25207a2cbf5475.jpg

comparison.jpg.6bac4560fdc39ff4f0f5d5a30f98fc12.jpg

rallispec actually has them for less, $178 for transmission, pitchstop, and a pair of engine mounts.

I'm going to install these with a Whiteline steering-rack bushing kit and a Turn-in concepts 5MT bushing kit later on this summer. I think it will be a pretty dramatic improvement in all but NVH.

• 3 months later...

10. Install the new mounts (hopefully you assembled them ahead of time). They are labeled and only fit one way. Make sure the stud on the bottom lines up with the slot in the subframe.

What does the assembly of mounts involve?

• 1 month later...
There are two threaded studs on the mounts. You need two nuts (not included, at least with my set) to attach them to the mounting plates.

Yup, the nuts are not included since the set is designed for WRX/STI which have the same style mounts (so nuts are reused). KOP supplied the nuts for me, these are typical flanged nut with 14mm head like on the downpipe, etc.

Btw, I got the mounts installed. Not much seat time since the car is grounded due to other problems - but I did not notice any extra NVH due to these mounts. Well, perhaps because of my not so quiet turboback....

I have the Cusco engine and tranny mounts as well as a Beatrush pitch stop and man oh man are they stiff. That's good since my motor probably would have ripped the stock mounts apart, but the increase in NVH more than a little considerable. Any semblance of luxury car feel is gone. I'd imagine that the Grp N mounts would be a lot softer, so they might be a happy medium.

From what I've heard the pitch stop is the main culprit for increase in NVH, and at the same time does the least for decreasing engine movement - You should try swapping back to the stocker or a group N pitch mount and see how you like it - I'd put $2 down that it would offer 90% of the gains in feel with only 50% of the noise.

I have the Cusco engine and tranny mounts as well as a Beatrush pitch stop and man oh man are they stiff. That's good since my motor probably would have ripped the stock mounts apart, but the increase in NVH more than a little considerable. Any semblance of luxury car feel is gone. I'd imagine that the Grp N mounts would be a lot softer, so they might be a happy medium.

Paul do you think I should get engine mounts? I'll have something comparable to a gt30 when all is said and done. The motor really flexes enough to warrant this upgrade?

06 TB EVO IX SE stock turbo monster subaru hater :lol: