LegacyGT.com

Problems with my New Legacy

My new Legacy is having a problem with the cruise control after 3 hours of use. I was driving back from Skiing out west and after three hours the cruise control stopped working. So I took the car to the dealer which said "if I cannot replicate the problem then I cannot fix it". So the called Subaru and they told me the same thing. So now I am looking for suggestions on what to do to fix this problem. I even suggested taking a tech for a three hour drive but they didn't like that idea.

Thanks

Adam

I had the cruise set at 80 mph for about three hours then it would just disengage. You could resume the cruise but it would only work for a couple of mins until it would disengage again. The problem happened in western Colorado and Nebraska so hills are not an issue. I tried to restart the car to see if it might fix the problem but it did nothing. The only thing that worked was to park the car for an extended period of time. The amount of time the cruise worked after sitting seemed to be a linear function of the amount of cooling. For example I stopped to have some dinner at Wendy’s and the cruise worked for about 35 mins after the car was stopped about 20 mins. The car is a 2005 legacy with 8000 miles on it.

Thanks

Adam

so.. this alludes to a heat issue... was your temp guage high ?

I can't imagine cruising at 80mph on CC is any different then 3 hrs using the pedal...

can you rule out taping a brake or hitting the cruise on/off ? Stupid question.. but it still needs answering and thought...

That's really strange...

Well if it goes off after about 3 minutes then the dealer will be able to reproduce it =)....seems like the chip that stores the info for the cruise is overheat'n! Which is y the longer you let it sit the longer it would run, until it heated up again............

The only other thing I could say would be to disconnect the battery completely for a few minutes let everything restet it's self......My GT's got 101 miles on it now....so I'll look out for it. Don't think I'll ever have a 3hr CC trip though.......

Good luck with it though....

Appears to be heat related. Check out these threads:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3023

http://subaruforester.com/viewtopic.php?t=4340&sid=0eb799eb183c0a8b1b60bc45ec29f4ed

Not sure what if anything resolves this but make sure it's mentioned/recorded at your next dealer checkup.

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Archived