LegacyGT.com

Fertilized Duck and Chicken eggs (Warning do not come in if your weak)

XLeezardx

A Balut (Trứng vịt lộn or Hột vịt lộn in Vietnamese, Pong tea khon in Cambodian) is a fertilized duck (or chicken) egg with a nearly-developed embryo inside that is boiled alive and eaten in the shell.

They are considered delicacies of Asia and especially the Philippines, Cambodia, and Vietnam.

Popularly believed to be an aphrodisiac and considered a high-protein, hearty snack, balut are mostly sold by street vendors at night, mostly, in the regions where they are available.

They are often served with beer. The Filipino and Malay word balut (balot) roughly translates to mean "wrapped".

Courtesy of Wikipedia:)

^ i was trying to think of the name! i had a friend from vietnam who LOVED fertilized eggs and wouldn't let me move until i tried some...

really not bad at all. those pictures make me laugh :) the chicken is still pretty cute for being dead compared to the ugly duckling.

i believe andrew zimmerman or whatever his name is, the guy on travel channel "bizarre foods" showcased this.

brian

I had these at a little street stall in Nha Trang, Vietnam, manned by some old lady with a 10 gallon jug of homemade ricewine and a bowl of fetus-eggs :lol:

Already being hammed, 10 shots of potent rice wine and 3-4 baluts and that was it for me! :spin:

If you guys want fertilized duck eggs, its very easy to find. Just go to your local asian supermaket and there you shall find them. look for a bunch of eggs just sitting on top of cartons out in the open. Dont look in the freezer (obviously).

yeah Balut...my wife's Filipino, pretty standard snack in the philippines.

Same here, before I could marry my wife, my father-in-law made a rule...."You have to eat Balut and Blood Pudding before I say yes". He was joking though, because he knew how much I didn't want to try it.

After trying Balut, it's not bad, a little crunchy and taste more like the yolk. Add a little salt and a beer and it's all good.

Blood Pudding is another story.:eek:

My wife's balls are delicious.

Archived