LegacyGT.com

Accident with my Legacy GT

A damn moron punched me on the right side Monday night...

The idiot was coming on a street perpendicular to the other street I was driving on. I did not have any stop sign on my side so I was just going my way. But he had a stop sign on his side but he missed it...When I crossed the intersection I saw in the corner of my right eye a white car going straight through the intersection right at my car.

BANG! The other car punched my Legacy solidly on the rear right door. I think he hit me at about 20-25 miles per hour. The impact made my car spun out 360 degrees. I stopped in the middle of the street. Fortunately there were no other cars coming. I could still drive the car so I parked on the side of the street and put my hazards on. I did not get hurt at all, nor was the other guy.

The other guy was in a piece of shit rented Cavalier. He had a rental car since two weeks ago...he damaged his own car in another accident he was responsible for !!! Now he strikes again...what a damn moron...The front of the Cavalier was completely destroyed and he had the airbags inflated, I was surprised how much it was destroyed compared to what he did to my Legacy (the side curtains and airbags did not inflate inside the Legacy).

My GT is brand new with less than 3000 miles. I was sick to my stomach when I saw the doors and rear fender scraped and bumped. This really sucks.

I got the car towed back to the dealer. Since this is the Xmas holidays, it's gonna take longer for the repairs... the insurance got me a big GMC Envoy as replacement. This is nowhere close to the level of refinement of the Legacy, I can't believe this gaz-guzzling beast is more expensive than the Legacy. Ah well, can't wait to get my LGT back, I am so pissed off it was accidented so early :mad:

Here are some pictures:

http://pages.infinit.net/tzar007/accident_1.jpg

http://pages.infinit.net/tzar007/accident_2.jpg

OH man that sux...hope your not out of it to long....

(the side curtains and airbags did not inflate inside the Legacy).
...they wont unless someone is siting there and they may not all go off, it all depends on ware it was hit; like your front wont go off if you were hit from the side, kind of a thing...

...i am curious how are your doors and other seams lining up on the other side after an accident like that?

OH man that sux...hope you not out of it to long.......they wont unless someone is siting there and they may not all go off, it all depends on ware it was hit like your front wont go off, if you were hit from the side kind of a thing...

Yeah, I guess the impact wasn't strong enough to get the side airbags activated. In fact, from inside the car, the right rear door is not damaged or bent at all, it is perfectly OK. Even if I would have had somebody sitting there, he would not have been hurt, probably just scared and shocked as hell.

...i am curious how are your doors and other seams are lining up on the other side after an accident like that?

To be honest I did not check that very closely. I do know both doors on the left side close and open perfectly since I got my stuff out of the car after towing it to the dealer. The rear hatch also opened and closed as usual. I haven't had it confirmed yet, but I don't think the structural integrity of the car or the chassis was affected at all, it seems they will need to replace both doors and the rear fenders but that's it - well, I hope.

Even a little mangled it's still a sexy looking car! Actually, I'm amazed at how little damage there is to your car. That certainly doesn't mean it's going to be cheap but it won't be your wallet. It does make other LGT owners like me feel more at peace that it faired so well. 25-30 may not seem like much to people until they've been hit. That's a lot of force from a 2500+ lb mass hitting you. Like you said it spun you around.

I'm glad you are okay and not the one that made the mistake! We all have something to be thankful for, have a safe Christmas.

-JGR

Even a little mangled it's still a sexy looking car! Actually, I'm amazed at how little damage there is to your car. That certainly doesn't mean it's going to be cheap but it won't be your wallet. It does make other LGT owners like me feel more at peace that it faired so well. 25-30 may not seem like much to people until they've been hit. That's a lot of force from a 2500+ lb mass hitting you. Like you said it spun you around.

-JGR

Yeah, I was amazed at how small - well, relatively small - the damage is to my car considering the nature of the impact. Like I said, when you look at the rear door from inside, everything's OK, nothing bent, nothing out of shape.

And the Cavalier had his front completely destroyed with much more damage than me. There was Cavalier plastic, pieces of bumper, grille and other stuff everywhere in the street. The metal frame of the Cavalier was also crushed with the radiator crunched.

The fact that my car spun out almost immediately upon impact probably helped to minimize the damage since when it started to spun it reduced the shock greatly (the Cavalier simply pushed my car sideways instead of continuing to drive through the Legacy).

Still, I am quite convinced now that Legacy's owners can feel safe and secure in this car. The structure of the doors seem to have been well designed to absorb shocks, it is reassuring indeed. This car will give you a chance of getting unhurt from your car, at least when the accident happens at moderate urban speeds.

I echo the comments of each of the members above and especially that you are okay and not hurt. Hopefully, this will all come back together quickly so that you can get back on the road again with your LegGT.

On another note, be careful in the snow with the Envoy until you get used to its mannerisms. As you're discovering, I'm sure, that "gas-guzzler" as you put it, also handles a lot differently than your LGT and mostly in a not so good way.

Again, I'm glad that you are okay. Rest easy and let the insurance machine take care of you and keep us posted on your repair progress.

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Very sorry to read and see what happened to your car. Luckily, no one got hurt. Unfortunately, no matter how careful drivers we are, the risk of getting into an accident is always omnipresent.

2005 Legacy GT Wagon Ltd 5EAT Garnet Red :cool:

1999 GTI VR6 Black - sold but not forgotten... :(

Thanks to all guys !

On another note, be careful in the snow with the Envoy until you get used to its mannerisms. As you're discovering, I'm sure, that "gas-guzzler" as you put it, also handles a lot differently than your LGT and mostly in a not so good way.

SBT

You're right. The Envoy is a big SUV with tall tires and its handling is pretty bad compared to the LGT. Handles like a boat. The braking distances are also very long, you need to watch this out. But it is comfortable and roomy so it will hold the family for now. The engine's power is respectable though (275 HP), not complaint on this. But the build quality and the look of the plastics inside look inferior for a SUV of that price.

The real problem was that the other guy was running on all-season tires...but the temperature was well under -5 Fahrenheit (-20 Celcius) that night (I am up there in the Great White North in Montreal). At that temperature, all season tires are no better than having crazy carpets under your wheels. The tires become hard as ice and have zero grip.

So when the distracted moron realized he had a stop to do, it was too late. He slammed the brakes but the tires simply slid and the Cavalier went his merry way into my Legacy. He should have known that by these temperatures all season tires are very dangerous, anybody living in Canada knows that... The should pass a law forcing the usage of winter tires here.

The real problem was that the other guy was running on all-season tires...but the temperature was well under -5 Fahrenheit (-20 Celcius) that night (I am up there in the Great White North in Montreal). At that temperature, all season tires are no better than having crazy carpets under your wheels. The tires become hard as ice and have zero grip.

So when the distracted moron realized he had a stop to do, it was too late. He slammed the brakes but the tires simply slid and the Cavalier went his merry way into my Legacy. He should have known that by these temperatures all season tires are very dangerous, anybody living in Canada knows that... The should pass a law forcing the usage of winter tires here.

What can i say some people are just stupid. As for laws enforcing winter tires, it will be hard to implament due to people not being able to afford them but it should happen regardless

Archived